Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets assume Pele and Maradona are still playing now, will they still be effective? I mean teams now have stronger defence than they used to have in the past, will Pele and Maradona score less goals and have difficulities showing their football skills? Will their size be a disadvantage too?

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
It's impossible to compare different eras. When Maradona still played, football wasn't that different though. In any case, they had so much talent, that they would have been the best anyway. They would have played in a different way, but I'm sure that they would have done great anyway.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Maradona once said that he would play better in today's game because there is more protection from the referees.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Maradona didn't play a long time ago, some of the greatest defenders were still playing. I think he still would've been as great as 15-20 years ago when he was active.
Pele though, to be honest with you, I don't think he would've been that good. Football now and 50 years ago are two completely different things.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
BUT, what you have to ask yourself is what is more demanding as always to be among the best?...is easy...taking the obvious determination, and not few coincidence in falling in a certain team, in a certain moment:

SKILLS, TECHNIC, the wood what Aimar, Roman, Ronaldo, Roni G., Zidane, Totti, Kaka, Alex, Okocha, etc..etc..etc.. use to impose nowadays.

Some faster, some slower, some stronger, some weaker, BUT they use their brains, and technic to do what they imagine, makes them be among the best, so what does Pele, or Diego doesn't have in comparisson with them? ANYTHING, in fact are better.

Another thing is to say that nowadays: are less space, more struggle than thinking. The crashes between players are more due to the moronic style of many, of constant pressure than those criminal kicks fom Maradona's era, and let's not began in Pele's one.

So may be they will be able to show less, but more probably will play different (add that the mates in other eras where way more talented too, is easier to through paredes with Mane, than Piojo for instance).

The constant pressure will make them struggle more, will need to adapt, but for instance wil give them way more free kicks, and penalties too, ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, they will impose as the best again, they were players that appear very rarely, so if their display can be different, don't mean will have less impact, or be less effective.
I think no few brazies or argies will hesitate to change Aimar, or Ronie G. with their respective monsters.

On the other hand may be if we can transport right now, with the training they have in this football, Aimar or Ronie G., to the old era, due to their proove talent, they will find easier to dribble, will remain unanswer if they will have the balls to face Perfumo, Gentile, and those nice fellows with license to kill. The better defenders nowadays assumption, when I have so many images of Passarella having the skills of a nowadays striker, makes me doubt more than a bit.

Less space due to using machines, 100 yards athletes to play instead of more gifted players, only tend to produce confusion and there relies the importance of rival's mistakes nowadays to take advantage, this in many ways makes even more precious a player with the technic to make something different, if this ones appear less is because is all a question of tradition, of infinite mirrors: Pele imitates Leonidas, Zico: Pele, Ronie: Zico, both doesn't come from anywhwere, they are a consecuence of previous players.

If the ones in charge of youngsters, are more searching 1.85 mt players, with stamina, but not very gifted, just tireless, the model will change, sadly.

In many ways if in other eras also was MORE space because the majority wanted to PLAY, nowadays is every day nearer to want to DESTROY, to take the game it just as a work.

Remember that equal tends to ties, to production in series, the different will find another solution to a problem many don't even see, and will create problems the rest pure normal, won't even imagine is possible.

I'm quite sure those two were DIFFERENT.

·
Banned
4,388 Posts
Nesta said:
Pele though, to be honest with you, I don't think he would've been that good.
I don't think so, pele was very physical(also gifted), he had for instance a nowadays nba-like vertical jump, he had very strong leg muscles, and broad shoulders, of course he wouldnt score 1300 goals, but he'd still be better than all other players right now

Nesta said:
Football now and 50 years ago are two completely different things.
I dont agree on this, the game hasnt changed... the mentality around it has...Like in every sport, the big money has ****ed things up, players prefer to be benched the rest of their lives to earn more in stead of playing somewhere else...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Nesta said:
Maradona didn't play a long time ago, some of the greatest defenders were still playing. I think he still would've been as great as 15-20 years ago when he was active.
Pele though, to be honest with you, I don't think he would've been that good. Football now and 50 years ago are two completely different things.
crap - Pele was a more natural athlete than Maradona. They'd both be as good as they ever were.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Pele and Maradona would be the two best players in the world, and by a ridiculously huge margin.

I can't believe people actually think they'd be worse now a days. Think about it... you literally _CANNOT_ take the ball away from them and they can score at will. That's called being unstoppable, irregardless of whether it's our era or Jesus' era.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Maradona would be crazy in today's football. You think, what, Marco Materazzi or Wes Brown would stop him?

He was butchered in Spain because he wasn't Spanish and he was at the time world record transfer, and he was a crazy player take would want to humiliate defenders. He did himself no favours by going to nightclubs wiht gangs of heavies and even then the snowman cometh... but he would destroy teams today.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
..BTW the size of the failure of Diego in Spain is translate in:

58 games with 38 goals
Ones of the most beautifull moves in football history.
Hepatitis.
A mostly ending type of injury.
A tournament lost in the last match.
And even I think he won a Copa del Rey (not sure)

That speaks loud of the size of his talent.

I will repeat: the different will find another solution to a problem many don't even see, and will create problems the rest pure normal, won't even imagine is possible.

Because the base of this players talent is in unbelieveable technic, vision and determination, all of them in superb dosis..BTW phisically they were unparalleld.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Koeman4 said:
It's impossible to compare different eras. When Maradona still played, football wasn't that different though. In any case, they had so much talent, that they would have been the best anyway. They would have played in a different way, but I'm sure that they would have done great anyway.
Exactly

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Very debateable but I think they would be as equally as effective because they were such great Intelligent players.Surely a trivial thing to pnder though.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
How can someone say football is tougher now? I mean the defence. Players like Carvalho or anyother for that matter at 80-97 would considered to be middle-team players -AT BEST! I can count individual great defenders on my two hands; Maldini,Nesta,Stam,Puyol,Samuel,Cannavaro,Campbell. I'm not counting on Terry as he hasn't that experience. Anyway, if you consider these players as the best right now then "assuming" football defenders today are better is just laughable. Milan alone had a great great great defence back in 90-96. Then there were other great players like Ciro Ferrara, Antonio Benarrivo etc etc.

If Pele and Maradona were still playing they'd score against anybody and that's not an understatement!

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
If Pele and Maradona were still playing they would say: RONALDO is the best ever :D!

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
Yeah, In the past things are much different: The Ball was so heavy, the equipament clumsy, the referees without cards, the medicine used to take years to bring someone back. Pele would probally be a hundred time better...
What made Pele (and Maradona) to Be Gods are not the Adversaries. It was them. Pele would have all advantages that players like Ronaldo, Raul, Henry have and all they do not have. And Pele would still think (because those players thinking is the effective reality): Smash the adversaries.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
obviously differnet times etc...to say the defence is more tight now is rubbish in my opinion. many teams play different styles of football and i think in every era, it has been a trend. And besides, Maradona played in an era which saw great defenders...in fact, todays football doesnt have half as many good defenders as it did 15 years ago.

i think maradona could still dominate the football world today. as a player he had everything and if we see ronaldinho dominating right now, i dont why maradona couldnt either.

Pele is a different story though. he would obviously be up there with the best, but i think the game really has changed a lot since he played and i dont think he would be able to make such an impact as he did back then.

One thing is for sure, their value in the transfer market would be amazing.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I believe players like Cruyff, Pele and Maradona have the ability to survive in modern football. They have dreadful stamina and ability to keep their consistency on their world class level of performance. Those guys are the real monsters on the pitch.

Not sure about Di Stefano, though. Never see him play and I'm too young to ever hear about him.

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
Pele is a different story though. he would obviously be up there with the best, but i think the game really has changed a lot since he played and i dont think he would be able to make such an impact as he did back then.
The question is what Pele had that would lack today ...His finishing (no, he was able to finish with that ball, this one is matter of pratice only), his speed (lving with the demands of today, he would be faster), his ball control (of course not, the ball make life eaier), his ambidextrous (how could this make him slow down ?), his game vision (how today would not give vallue to a player that could see the game as him ?), his stamina (it would only be better), his spirit (how ?), his inteligence (of course not), his tatical game (he would be teached with the tatics of today, so he would know)...
What trait exactly would Pele lack to make a impact today ? Not a single one. His impact (which is, story wise, that can not be retold and would never happen again, but that is not the point here) would be the same, if not bigger.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts