Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would play?

Clearly, according to Lippi, it seems that Materazzi would get the nod over other central defenders.

Also, if Zambrotta is out, Chiellini seems in line to take that job.

Not sure about Buffon.

But would we be screwed? Cuz I think we have no depth at all. Tho you can't argue that Matrix hasn't done a good job in his games.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
But would we be screwed? Cuz I think we have no depth at all. Tho you can't argue that Matrix hasn't done a good job in his games.
:eekani:

Puls, it's great that you support Inter plays, but surely you're joking now. he sucked so badly in the Croatia match in '02 that even Iuliano got the gig ahead of him later in the tournament. and then at Euro 2004 when he's given the chance he goes and gives away a stupid penalty with some sort of a Greco-Roman wrestling manouvre on Berbatov :wallbang:

it's the same as with players like Blasi. they can look acceptable holding the fort in some little qualifier vs Scotland or in a 0-0 friendly draw with Iceland, but against quality players (but even against just decent ones sometimes though) they've got nothing. if we can't do better than Matrix, then so be it, we let him play :nervous:, but please don't try to say that he's "done a good job in his games" :wallbang: ;)

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah man, I think Matrix is a dump hole with Inter. But barring the incidents you named, I think he was quite sold in his last two performances, wouldn't you say? Though I agree with the quality opposition argument. But let's not get dragged into a Matrix argument, I think all people would agree he's not the first player you would put on your bench. But as noted Inter fan and Gazzetto del Sport journalist Gianluca Rossi proclaims, the loss of Materazzi is very underestimated in that he can still defend pretty decently. But, lets not focus on Matrix but instead name those backups and are we really in a good position?

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think with the condition of Pirlo and Gattuso, if one of them were to be injured, especially Gattuso, I Think Cristiano Zanetti, who is quietly one of the more consistent performers in the Inter midfield this year, saving his best performances against the best opposition, might be a good backup. Yes he has underperformed in the past, but you can't argue that this year we saw the Roma CZ not the Inter one.

But we also need to ensure that De Rossi gets into the mix of things. That is why I think if Roma aren't playing him, give him to a team where he can do damage b/c we can't let such a talent rot on the bench. As Ferrari is at Roma as well. Inter and Roma have done much injustice to the Italian NTers, even tho Roma is full in charge with Totti, Cassano, Montella. Inter don't buy ITalians, and Roma are benching two potentials in De Rossi and Ferrari. Also, I might add that Pelizzoli should be given more chances, he is not a wasted talent just yet in my eyes.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ambrosini of AC Milan also deserves much respect, as he filled in for Gattuso AND Pirlo quite admirably this year, and I think he deserves a shot as well. One of the tragedies of Euro 2004 was his exclusion from the team, when he could have done well, especially backing up a suspended Gattuso in the Bulgaria match. And so I believe that he should be in the squad at all costs, as he has shown he can come out of nowhere, resting on the bench, and perform at the top level, as shown against Inter.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
Nah man, I think Matrix is a dump hole with Inter. But barring the incidents you named, I think he was quite sold in his last two performances, wouldn't you say? Though I agree with the quality opposition argument.
See you've answered your own question :). If we're serious about doing well at the world cup we'll play against good teams for sure, so what does it matter what "Matrix" can do in games where he is just a spectator for about 97% of the time. just consider that Italy hasn't played a really good team in a serious game since France in 2000. if Materazzi isn't even adequate vs Croatia or Bulgaria (with all respect to them), teams like Brazil or Argentina would slaughter us with him in the side. :scared:

Pulsar36 said:
But let's not get dragged into a Matrix argument, I think all people would agree he's not the first player you would put on your bench. But as noted Inter fan and Gazzetto del Sport journalist Gianluca Rossi proclaims, the loss of Materazzi is very underestimated in that he can still defend pretty decently. But, lets not focus on Matrix but instead name those backups and are we really in a good position?
I agree on not arguing over Matrix though, we just badly need to find someone better than he is over the next few years. we know all the names that get mentioned as alternatives to him, but what we really need now is for some of the young blokes like Barzagli, Bovo etc to come through and show they can get the job done :hopefull:

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Chiellini for Zambrotta, but we also have Oddo, Casetti, Grosso and Parisi that are decent wing backs.

De Sanctis for Buffon, but I wouldn't mind Pagliuca either ;)

As for Cannavaro, we always have Barzagli or Materazzi. But hopefully it will be Canna/Nesta that plays at CD.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Falcone, Chiellini and De Sanctis.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
centre back:
Barzagli is young but i would prefer him to matrix.
another option is to plead to Maldini to return to the NT ;)

LB: Chiellini would be good, but Parisi and Grosso are capable also. But obviously its hard to replace the best left back in the world.

De Sanctis to replace buffon.

G

·
i rather see my 5 year old brother in the line up then matrix.... i swear everytime that he plays i prey to God that he can profe me wrong... but as you can see my preys have not b eenanswered yet. for zambrota i think chillini will do cann/nesta i am thinking bonera althoug he is not experianced yet to handle a wc pressure. as for buffon if he is injured i am puting my tickets on e-bay to sell em cuz there is not need to be in germany without him..

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that Chiellini is not good enough for the Azzurri (yet)? He often makes glaring defensive mistakes. Granted, he could useful in attack but if we have him and let's say Oddo or Cassetti for wing-backs, Canna and Nesta will have a tough time in defence. I think we have too many side-backs who can attack quite well and too few who are good enough in defence. ;) Weird, isn't it?

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Anomander Rake said:
Am I the only one who thinks that Chiellini is not good enough for the Azzurri (yet)? He often makes glaring defensive mistakes. Granted, he could useful in attack but if we have him and let's say Oddo or Cassetti for wing-backs, Canna and Nesta will have a tough time in defence. I think we have too many side-backs who can attack quite well and too few who are good enough in defence. ;) Weird, isn't it?
yes, our attacking full backs are good, well, the left back ones anyway, while our right backs cant seem to defend at all. i suppose it depends on the midfield as well. but chiellini is useful on set pieces which is always a bonus in a full back.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
I think Chiellini is a superb left back right now, but is in at the moment a quite poor team (not on paper but there you go). He does do some defensive mistakes and IMO Parisi and Grosso are better all round left backs, but there is no doubt this guy has potential and is like a train on the left. He will give right side mids and defenders a hard time at International level with his commitment.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I think we have more than enough talent in the left back department. My key concern is central defence. In my opinion, this is OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM going into the world cup. I know this sounds weird, but its true, this time ITALY's BIGGEST WEAKNESS IS THE DEPTH IN DEFENCE - go figure.

Barzagli and Materazzi are simply not good enough. Hell, even Brazil don't have the same problem we do in this respect.

I think our midfield is has more depth and options when compared to previous tournaments. As always, our attack is stacked with options.

I really think we should consider an old timer. Who knows maybe even Costacurta is better than Matrix even at his godfather like age. If Maldini returned, it would solve the central defensive problem at least. I would even have proffered Ferrara to Barzagli or Materazzi.

I would even start considering Panucci - not as a right back but as a central defensive option.

Also we know that Di Biaggio has played well as a centre back and so has Giannicheda.

BOTTOM LINE - ITS TIME TO GET DESPERATE, WE HAVE GOT TO FIND A BETTER SOLUTION THEN MATRIX OR BARZAGLI EVEN IF IT MEANS BRINGING SOME OLD CENTRE BACKS OUT OF RETIREMENT!!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
Also we know that Di Biaggio has played well as a centre back and so has Giannicheda.
Actually Giannichedda hasn't been that good as a centre back - he did very well for a DM but if he is to play in the Azzurri I"d rather see him in his natural position as midfielder. But the lack of quality CBs is really mystifying and worrying, true.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
There is a season left before the tournament which is obvisouly a key for some of the younger players.

Barzagli is being looked at by Moggi and im hoping he does join. Maybe he can gain some experience during his spell at juve, or any other big club he joins.

Bonera is another player being tipped to join a big club. once again Moggi has shown interest.

So im hoping that if some of the younger players join the big clubs and get more exposure to the worlds best in europe etc...maybe italy wont suffer as much.

Maldini of course would be the quickest and best option to come in.

·
Registered
47,272 Posts
CUG said:
Maldini of course would be the quickest and best option to come in.
The last world cup in Korea/Japan, the games of Milan at international level against Depo (0-4) and Liverpool (3-3) have convinced me that Maldini is no more San Paolo and he could hardly do miracles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts