Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More especially Fabregas :star:

Would they be called things like "The new Pele", "the new maradona","the new baggio".

This kids actually matched Chelsea's midfield which includes guys like Makelele, Lampard, Duff, Robben, Tiago(why does this guy play for chelsea?).

The way the English media has been campaigning for Rooney who hasn't done anything that interesting, you will think they will say a thing or two about Fab and Flamini.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
rooney got voted the best teenager in world football by a european magazine and was better than any of the other hyped kids at the euros (cassano, kuranyi etc) if anything i think our media hypes up players that play abroad with roberto carlos and del piero continually being referred to as world class, when they're not

·
Registered
786 Posts
:howler: :happy: :thmbup: if ronaldinho was estonian? hehe it would be mad heheh :howler: :happy: :thmbup:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
CMBurns said:

Would they be called things like "The new Pele", "the new maradona","the new baggio".
No, because none of those three played as defensive midfielders.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
I am telling you guys....only team that can come close to Brazil at the next World Cup is Spain. :D

We've got Fabregas and Reyes coming through to add to Vicente, Fernando Torres, Xavi, Puyol, Xabi Alonso, Luque, Del Horno, and of course, Raul. :D

Knowing us though we will probably bottle it.

·
Registered
25,267 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:
I am telling you guys....only team that can come close to Brazil at the next World Cup is Spain. :D

We've got Fabregas and Reyes coming through to add to Vicente, Fernando Torres, Xavi, Puyol, Xabi Alonso, Luque, Del Horno, and of course, Raul. :D

Who says you'll qualify? You're in a tough group and haven't been in great form so far so you being so confident really is unfounded.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Dusan_UK said:
Who says you'll qualify? You're in a tough group and haven't been in great form so far so you being so confident really is unfounded.
Spain will qualify, we never bottle qualification.

It's just that once we are there that is the problem.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
CMBurns said:

This kids actually matched Chelsea's midfield which includes guys like Makelele, Lampard, Duff, Robben, Tiago(why does this guy play for chelsea?).

The way the English media has been campaigning for Rooney who hasn't done anything that interesting, you will think they will say a thing or two about Fab and Flamini.
if fabregas and flamini were english they would be hyped SOOOOO ****ing much!!! it would be unbelievable, and it happens to all english players, most notable rooney. yes foreign players are also hyped, but usually if they are playing in the league of their nationality.

and whoever says fabregas is hyped enough is talking nonsense. hes hardly had any coverage at all and has already played like 15 games this season. whereas rooney last season scored about 5 goals in the whole year and people were still going on about him!! and for gods sake, fabregas is probably the best 17 year old IN HISTORY!!

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Eh, I buy the Daily Mail Petros. It hypes Fabregas more than it hypes most players. It also names him as MOM for a lot of Arsenal games. In any match report he's probably the 2nd most featured name after Titi's. So I think it's wrong to suggest he doesn't get the hype he deserves. He gets similar hype to Robben afterall.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
of course Fabregas would get more attention if he was English, but our papers are ever so obsessed with the International game and future English players , someone like Downing has had more press coverage and he has played about half the games.

but it's good in a way, Fabregas can get on with his football without having half of Fleet Street sitting outside his house every morning, must be a right pain in the arse being Wayne Rooney at times, although as he is a complete mad pikey he probably couldn't give a flying fuk :D

·
Registered
893 Posts
CMBurns said:
Sure, he's only starred in an international tournament and become the player fundamental to English success whilst still a teenager. Not interesting at all. Maybe you should stick to things you understand.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Another great thread start by Calcio100
Im not joking by the way the guy makes
always good and sarcastic points
about his view of the game.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Well England don't have bad young players. Defoe, SWP, Rooney... they would be hyped in most countries. The 2 kids have been good, but if anything worries me about Cesc is that he will be burned out by the time he's 20.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:

the problem would be when they wear the red shirt.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
SPANIARD said:
Well England don't have bad young players. Defoe, SWP, Rooney... they would be hyped in most countries. The 2 kids have been good, but if anything worries me about Cesc is that he will be burned out by the time he's 20.
I wouldn't think that will be a problem. Wenger knows how to look after kids. Once Vieira is back he'll rotate with Flamini and Gilberto when he's fit again (Edu too if he stays).

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Roy Race said:
Sure, he's only starred in an international tournament and become the player fundamental to English success whilst still a teenager. Not interesting at all. Maybe you should stick to things you understand.

it wouldn't be so bad if it was just major players like Rooney and Gazza, but we get more than that, *cough* Joe Cole, *cough* apparently he was a world beater at the age of 15.

watching Rooney tonight though, i do wonder if he's one of these players that isn't suited to the International stage more, he rarely is able to control the tempo in the EPL like he can in International games, i am not as hopeful with him as i was in the summer.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
It's true to say he would get more hype if he was English, but that's hardly an earth shattering statement.

To be fair though, it's only really Rooney who has been elevated to superstar status by the English media. Others like Defoe, SWP and Downing probably recieve media coverage comparable with Fabregas.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
it wouldn't be so bad if it was just major players like Rooney and Gazza, but we get more than that, *cough* Joe Cole, *cough* apparently he was a world beater at the age of 15.

watching Rooney tonight though, i do wonder if he's one of these players that isn't suited to the International stage more, he rarely is able to control the tempo in the EPL like he can in International games, i am not as hopeful with him as i was in the summer.
Fair point - English magazine Total Football (Feb 2000), has an amazing article entitled, "Who The Hell is Joe Cole?" big hype with an emboldened quote from some nobody, who says "he dribbles like George Best, passes like Hoddle, tackles like David Batty and has the intelligence of Bobby Moore". True, the quote is a subjective opinion from someone noone's ever heard of, but the mag gives it prominence. Rooney's different though - he's already shown what he's capable of.

Probably true and a good thing for England if that's the case. Bobby Moore was the same - whoops, mustn't make comparisons ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts