Xtratime Community banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Diavolo said:
I heard that they serve prawns in the Old Trafford :confused:
Is it a tradition like strawberries&cream in Wimbeldon?
only in certain sections, i think the hardcore support still follows the old traditions of pies and pasties. :shades:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
yeah China Whites, Browns, Fabric or the Stretford End ? it was an easy choice :D
It certainly was ;)

As for the prawns....anyone eating anything other than a Pie does not deserve to go to a football match, the tradition must be upheld :stuckup:

·
63,337 Posts
you don't need a pie though when you are in of them centrally heated corporate boxes with the crowd noise piped in.

i agree though, the whole corporate side of the game is utter wank, bring back the terraces and Bovril and the peanut salesman. :D

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Glen said:
...and now to something completely different... yet still connected to Arsenal, copulating and making it big....

http://www.football365.com/opinion/john_nicholson/story_144421.shtml

:D
Nicholson (thats Nicholsson to you ;) ) is brilliant, his articles are always worth reading.

To be honest with you Jern i cannot understand VIP boxes, why would anyone want to go to a ground and watch the game away from the fans in a glass box? it sort of defeats the object of leaving the TV set and going to the stadium in the first place.

I've only been in a terrace once, and it was one of the best experiences i have ever had watching football.

·
63,337 Posts
Russell, i knew you'd like John Nicholson, he wears his Northernness on his sleeve, he made a brilliant article last year about Spurs becoming the best side in North London, it's in the humble pies thread. ;)

all me early games were in the Clock End terrace, nothing like it at all today, that's one of the reasons i rarely go to Highbury today, sitting there like a night at the Opera, getting dirty looks from people if you swear at the ref too much :D i much prefer watching footbal in the pub. :stuckup:

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Russell said:
Nicholson (thats Nicholsson to you ;) ) is brilliant, his articles are always worth reading.
I know. That's why I read football365... and to get a dose of Phillip Cornwall too, admittedly.

But hey, what's with the Nicholson spelling thing? Went over my head I'm afraid.

Though.... If it's a thing about Scandi name spelling, I have to tell you that my surname is "Mikkelsen". In Denmark there's traditionally only one 's' to mark the lineage (unlike Sweden where they use two as in your beloved Commander Eriksson). The way we do things... that is of course also the reason your little isles out there in terrible weather mashed between the North Sea and the Atlantic do that with names as well :D .

A tradition with almost 11 hundred years on it's back ;).

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Russell said:
It certainly was ;)

As for the prawns....anyone eating anything other than a Pie does not deserve to go to a football match, the tradition must be upheld :stuckup:
Can anybody explain to me, as I understand, this relatively new prawn tradition :confused:

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
all me early games were in the Clock End terrace, nothing like it at all today, that's one of the reasons i rarely go to Highbury today, sitting there like a night at the Opera, getting dirty looks from people if you swear at the ref too much :D i much prefer watching footbal in the pub. :stuckup:
Come over here Jern, you'll love it :shades:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
He's typically Northern and makes no apologises for it, i like him :)

You should go to a football league game, in the last 4 seasons i've been going to quite a few different clubs. The football isn't anywhere near as pretty, or entertaining but the crowds are brilliant. The best atmosphere i have heard was not the Old trafford crowd, everton, bolton nor any of the other premiership grounds i have been to but a Division two fixture last year between Grimsby and Brentford. The grimsby fans were brilliant, it was a must win game and they gave their team the kind of vocal support i have not heard before. There could have only been 6000-7000 there that day, but they certainly put alot of premiership crowds to shame. Unfortunately they got relegated for the second time in two seasons the following week.....poor bastards :D .

Sheffield Wednesday and United are excellent too.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Glen said:
I know. That's why I read football365... and to get a dose of Phillip Cornwall too, admittedly.

But hey, what's with the Nicholson spelling thing? Went over my head I'm afraid.

Though.... If it's a thing about Scandi name spelling, I have to tell you that my surname is "Mikkelsen". In Denmark there's traditionally only one 's' to mark the lineage (unlike Sweden where they use two as in your beloved Commander Eriksson). The way we do things... that is of course also the reason your little isles out there in terrible weather mashed between the North Sea and the Atlantic do that with names as well :D .

A tradition with almost 11 hundred years on it's back ;).
i thought you spelt it 'sson' like Sweden and Iceland, my mistake :) The efect that Denmark had on place names and people/names in general can't be underestimated. Anyone taking a drive through Yorkshire and Lincolnshire (and the north) can't help but notice the scandinavian influence. So many have the old norse names and endings like 'by'. Alot of surnames have son on the end too, and to a much rarer extent 'sen' - but never with the double s, thats too foreign :)

Even the name England is Danish in origin, as it was derived from land of the Angles(Angeln), Angles being from Denmark. Although i understand this part of Denmark is now german territory, i'm not sure.

What an off topic thread :)

·
63,337 Posts
Diavolo said:
Come over here Jern, you'll love it :shades:
the only thing that will get me back.

BUILD IT AGAIN AND I WILL COME :D

:proud:

Russell, yes i have been to a couple of Leyton Orient games, but the atmos is not great because they only get a few thousand crowds and most of them just moan about the shocking football on offer.

anyway the pubs round here show most 3pm games on Saturday and the atmospheres in the pubs beats anything a footbal ground has to offer and the drinks are just a few feet away.

might make an exception fro Cardiff if we get to the Final though, glory hunter ? me ? :D

·
63,337 Posts
fuk i've just noticed that photo is full of Spurs fans in the Clock End celebrating a winner against us, what were the odds of that happening doing a google search ? :wallbang: :D

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
ooooo,oooo,oooo oooo , i know

they would be eazy tp score on :yuck:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
fuk i've just noticed that photo is full of Spurs fans in the Clock End celebrating a winner against us, what were the odds of that happening doing a google search ? :wallbang: :D
LOL i was just about to comment on that!

You should try making a journey to some of the Northern football league clubs, my experience is that they are passionate and generally quite noisy. It can be quite a good day out.

·
63,337 Posts
Russell said:
LOL i was just about to comment on that!

You should try making a journey to some of the Northern football league clubs, my experience is that they are passionate and generally quite noisy. It can be quite a good day out.

I've no interest to go that far just to experience a bit of matchday flavour, i get all that in the pub which is a £5 cab fare away. :shades:

I could go to Brentford which is supposed to be rocking, but i don't care about them at al so what's the point ?

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Russell said:
Italians sure know how to dress :D

These are real England fans ;)

Russell that's abroad.
Anyway, I loved the way English fans suppoted their teams in the era that Jern posted the photo :thmbup:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Did the United fans not impress you at the San Siro? apparently the travelling support did themselves proud :)

41 - 60 of 77 Posts