Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spanish midfielder Inigo Idiakez has been named East Midlands Footballer of the Year at a BBC awards ceremony.

Ini was presented with the trophy by Rams boss Phil Brown at the event held at Leicester's De Montfort Hall on Monday night. He beat off the challenge of Leicester's Dion Dublin and Kris Kommons of Nottingham Forest. Team-mate Michael Johnson was among the 600 guests.

It caps a good few days for the 32-year-old, who skippered his side to victory over Norwich at Pride Park on Saturday - setting up the Rams' two goals. He has also been named in the Coca-Cola Championship Team of the Week.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Well there couldn't have been much doubt about it, he's miles better than anything Forest or Leicester have.

Congrats Inigo :star:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
He was odds on really, didn't think to any of the players that forest or leciester had. It makes you wonder what kind of an impact Inigo might have had, if we had bought him while he was still young

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have thought he would have been more dificult to get though, maybe when he left Sociedad he would have thought of coming over to England then.

Also John Toshack, who was there to watch Nyatanga used to manage Idiakez at Sociedad.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spanish midfielder Inigo Idiakez is hoping to continue his good week against Preston North End.

The 32-year-old put in a fine display while captaining the Rams to victory against Norwich City last Saturday.

And just 48 hours later he was named as the East Midlands Footballer of the Year at a BBC awards ceremony.

"I was very proud to pick up the award, which I think coincided with my best form of the season so far," he said.

"I think I played well against Norwich and I'm very happy about that because it was disappointing for me to miss the penalty against Brighton a week earlier.

"As a team we are learning and improving all the time. If we can keep playing how we did against Norwich I still believe we can make it into the play-offs."

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Hopefully he will now return to the form of last season consistently, then he'll prbably win it again next year, as the competition still isn't up too much in the East Midlands.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts