Xtratime Community banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
I love the way serie A has also become the adopted league for old players who have already spent one or more seasons in the leagues which offer nothing but easy money. Who's next? Iniesta? Fernando Torres?
25 matches, 18 goals, 5 assists and a transformed Milan later, I love it too! Not even I could imagine this type of impact from a player his age. Still a player of the highest level, as simple as that.

·
Registered
843 Posts
25 matches, 18 goals, 5 assists and a transformed Milan later, I love it too! Not even I could imagine this type of impact from a player his age. Still a player of the highest level, as simple as that.
Barca should never have let him go ... and they should have got him back after Neymar left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
That 5 vs. 3 situation which we wasted yesterday as an example of what he’s capable of when going deep.

·
Registered
46,514 Posts
He is the biggest evidence that serie A sucks completely, MLS level just to give a hint. Defenses are abysmal. Immobile and Belotti score for fun in serie A and have no impact whatsoever in international football.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
First of all, Serie A doesn’t suck as much as you seem to believe. Secondly, he would be able to dominate still anywhere. That should be clear for anyone who watches Milan matches. Doesn’t have the fitness level obviously as in the past but in other ways he’s even better than he was 10-15 years ago.

·
Registered
46,514 Posts
lol, yeah, all players get better when they are close to 40. This is the reason why they join the best League. lol

·
Registered
23,966 Posts
lol, yeah, all players get better when they are close to 40. This is the reason why they join the best League. lol
Players join the team that pay them the best and provide them the best opportunity for their career. the actual league is of lower priority.

Likewise clubs try to get the players they think will help them the most. sometimes they got no clue...

·
Registered
46,514 Posts
Players join the team that pay them the best and provide them the best opportunity for their career. the actual league is of lower priority.

Likewise clubs try to get the players they think will help them the most. sometimes they got no clue...
This one was Monsieur de la Palisse, wasn't he?

Anyway, I'm not saying Ibra sucks, mind you. I'm simply stating that there is no way he is better than he was ten years ago, for example. He is 39 years old and you can tell he is. The real surprise is that he can still make the difference at 39 yo but the undeniable fact that serie A is poor, that a lot of teams have a Zeman-ish way of playing and that a lot of defenders are pretty bad have a part in Ibra being dominant at 39. Again, it's the same league in which an international nobody like Immobile has scored 36 goals in the past season.

It's too soon to tell, but right now no one else in the league looks particularly brilliant so Milan might even win the scudetto... if things remain the way they are now of course.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
This “lol better than 10 years ago” is pretty silly and ignores the “in other ways” part. Like compensating with experience for less physical strength is a completely unknown phenomenon for you. You must be absolutely blind or haven’t watched the matches if you can’t acknowledge the class this player still possesses. He still wins 95% of physical challenges, still positions himself well to get to chances, still finishes as well as always, the vision intact, more altruistic.

·
Registered
46,514 Posts
This “lol better than 10 years ago” is pretty silly and ignores the “in other ways” part. Like compensating with experience for less physical strength is a completely unknown phenomenon for you. You must be absolutely blind or haven’t watched the matches if you can’t acknowledge the class this player still possesses. He still wins 95% of physical challenges, still positions himself well to get to chances, still finishes as well as always, the vision intact, more altruistic.
Call me blind... ignorant... I don't give a ****. I tell you what I see and what I know, then make of it whatever you like.

CR7 talks about compesating and he is more than 3 years and 4 months younger than Ibrahimovic. Ibrahimovic has just turned 39 years old. I believe you are well past 40 so you should understand that 3 years are not peanuts when you are around 40 years old. There is a reason if 99% of payers have retired at Ibra's age. It is not a matter of class, that was a point I have never disputed, it is a matter of what the opponents allow a 39 years old to do. If he wins 95% of the physical challenges (where is the compensation in winning a physical challenge? Are you telling me he now knows tricks he ignored 10 years ago?), finishes, and in general can do whatever he likes at 39 it means that something is wrong with the defenses. And it is not just Ibra. He is just old, very old, but at least he has been a top player for ages, top in the world, not just for serie A or MLS or similar. Immobile, Belotti, Caputo instead are not and never have been!
They score plenty of goals in serie A then can't score on the international stage when it matters.
The defenders of serie A instead have learnt to pass like midfielders and score like forwards but they can't defend any more. The perfect example is Bonucci.
The coaches have become scientists of football but their teams concede goals.
Ibra more than ten years ago was owned totally by Chiellini (retire in peace) in a famous Inter-Juve or Juve-Inter game. A defender like Chiellini nowadays (who? Is there one? Not in serie A!) would own Ibra even more easily now that Ibra is 39.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
That is an easy way of making an argument against any player anywhere: the opponents allow him to do it because they’re not as good as they used to be. Players are not only worse than they used to be, they’re physically weaker as well since they lose 95% of physical battles against Zlatan. You can use the same argument even in the best league in the world. “He’s dominating because the defenders aren’t what they used to be”. It’s actually impossible to conclude that we have a great player in Serie A, a top 4 league in the world, at all since it’s always because the other players suck.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
You’re the expert, by they way, with regards to this type of argument 😀 I remember you arguing against Maldini when he had arguably the best season of his career in 2002/03. “He’s only great because Nesta is next to him”. I remember because the argument annoyed me as much back then as it does today. These are factors but not black/white reasons.

·
Registered
46,514 Posts
That is an easy way of making an argument against any player anywhere: the opponents allow him to do it because they’re not as good as they used to be. You can use the same argument even in the best league in the world. “He’s dominating because the defenders aren’t what they used to be”. It’s actually impossible to conclude that we have a great player in Serie A, a top 4 league in the world, at all since it’s always because the other players suck.
No, I can't, because the best league in the world also win trophies, contrarily to the "top 4 league in the world" we are talking about.

·
Registered
46,514 Posts
You’re the expert, by they way, with regards to this type of argument 😀 I remember you arguing against Maldini when he had arguably the best season of his career in 2002/03. “He’s only great because Nesta is next to him”. I remember because the argument annoyed me as much back then as it does today. These are factors but not black/white reasons.
If it annoys you find something funnier. You are a Dane, you can drink a hundred beers and go to sleep. :p

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Ok, compared to 10 years ago Zlatan is not as fast(was never a really fast player anyway or depending on his pace) and does have as quick feet. So he will probably not dribble a whole team anymore, but as he will not try it either anymore, he will not loose the ball as much..So probably a bit more wise now.
As for the young Ibra, I always thought that he was not the best finisher(although I always compared him to Shevchenko who IMO was a better finisher back then), but I think now Ibra is much more effective in front of goal. I also think he is much better at setting up teammates, much more of a teamplayer now.
Physically I do not think much has changed, he is still one of the strongest striker in the world.
So in some ways, I do think Ibra has improved compared to his younger days...Is he overall as good as 10 years ago, probably not, but he is certainly not just a has-been..

·
Registered
46,514 Posts
he is certainly not just a has-been..
He is not a has-been for serie A standards, but surely he is no more the top player he was. You would be very deluded to think it. I hope you are not. If he was a top player he would not join this Milan, I hope this is obvious.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts