45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is in response to the claims that:

A) We should get rid of Ibrahimovic
B) He disappears in big games
C) He gets lousy in the second half of the year

I'll reply in points:

A) Ibrahimovic is suffering from a knee issue and really shouldn't be playing
B) You cannot really blame a player for not doing anything if the system is crappy- Mancini has no offensive system in place to maximize his talents, that is why all you see of him is jumping up to receive a long ball / lob from the defense. What is he to do with 3 guys on him in that situation? What is he to do when he only gets the ball on the sideline?
C) You cannot blame a player for being crappy when there is no other offensive threat. Besides Jiminez, who is really an offensive threat on Inter? Cruz? I think not. His form cooled in late December. Suazo? He can run like Forest Gump but he can't control the ball or shoot. Stankovic? He can't shoot. He can't pass. Zanetti? He dribbles well but never makes the great final pass or the the killer move in the final seconds of his possession of the ball. Jiminez? He's pretty good, but one thing that was noticed last night, he lacks vision. He can score, he can pass, he can dribble- but a real playmaker needs a vision to open up the defense- a good example is Riquelme's vision. Who else is there? Maniche at least has a pretty good shot and can actually get into position to maximize that talent of his, so that is why one thing you notice was that Ibrahimovic was more involved when he was in the game. BOTTOM LINE: If you have no GOOD OFFENSIVE PLAYERS, then you can't expect a player manmarked by 3 defenders to perform. Kaka doesn't do it on his own. Pirlo's vision and Inzaghi's/Gilardino's poaching ability opens things up for him. Messi/Ronaldinho never did it alone. Cristiano Ronaldo never did it alone, he had Rooney last year and much more help this year.

BOTTOM LINE- STOP THIS BLASPHEMY OF IBRAHIMOVIC SUCKS OR DOES NOT PERFORM IN BIG GAMES BECAUSE IT IS SIMPLY WRONG TO BLAME ONE PLAYER FOR A LACK OF OFFENSE FROM THE WHOLE TEAM.

The most important point is POINT B- he is simply not being played with in an appropriate manner. He is not SUPERMAN, although he has done a few things worthy of the GREAT ONE in the past guarded by several guys and receiving long balls.

That's my rant.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
It comes and goes, but he's generally quite good yes. Still, in the grand scheme of things there is a difference between a Kaka or Sheva who enjoyed several seasons of rich form and had the equivalent impact compared to Zlatan who's still searching for his first top class season. It started well this year, but then it fizzed out.

He's no Crespo yet.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
15 goals and 10 assists is not a good season? and is not world class?

If we did not have him, forget about being top of the table

There are reasons why he has so many damn good youtube comps!

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Numerodix I don't mind what you are doing here, but it's not the intended purpose of this thread (despite the title which is misleading). :)

·
Registered
2,897 Posts

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohh boy

In other words let Numerodix state his own argument and then shoot it down bang bang bang

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
The rest of the team should be better imo;
Blaming pretty much our best attacking player is pointless;

Blame Munchio; blame the shite options we have in terms of creativity; blame the injuries;

Hopefully this will make our club realise that players in attacking positions are needed. Ribery should have been sought after during last summer-we could have easily matched what Bayern gave for him. Diego; RQ; VdV; Nasri; Carvalho etc two of these type of flair players should be bought in the summer while Figo retires and Stankovich is given as a gift to whatever club is willing to take him.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
People don't realize that when we are completely healthy in defense, we can really only patrol JZ and Cambiasso out there and have 2 midfielders who are complete offensive guys..

·
Registered
17,351 Posts
I dunno

for me Ibra's Liverpool games weren't the issue

he had a good first half in the San Siro

BUT

is ACM game and his 2 Juve performances were of the lowest order

absolutely diabolical

and the amount of fouls he gives away by simply not being able to win the ball in the air is incredible

this team loses A LOT of possession because of Ibra's fouls (and let's face it he NEVER wins long balls in the air) and because of his over dribbling

and it's starting to look like he can only produce half a season - although this seems more indicative of a Mancini-coached-team generally

either way Ibra won't be sold

and if he is a world class player he needs to start scoring in the remaining 8 games

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
I dunno

for me Ibra's Liverpool games weren't the issue

he had a good first half in the San Siro

BUT

is ACM game and his 2 Juve performances were of the lowest order

absolutely diabolical

and the amount of fouls he gives away by simply not being able to win the ball in the air is incredible

this team loses A LOT of possession because of Ibra's fouls (and let's face it he NEVER wins long balls in the air) and because of his over dribbling

and it's starting to look like he can only produce half a season - although this seems more indicative of a Mancini-coached-team generally

either way Ibra won't be sold

and if he is a world class player he needs to start scoring in the remaining 8 games
That's not exactly Ibra's fault. There is not a player in the world who would be able to deal with the hopeless longballs we insist on shipping upfield.

The lack of support and the longballs in themself are the problem.

And half of the freekicks against Ibra shouldn't even be called. He just gets a lot of bogus calls against him because he is a big, strong mofo with an arrogant attitude.

·
Banned
18,453 Posts
That's not exactly Ibra's fault. There is not a player in the world who would be able to deal with the hopeless longballs we insist on shipping upfield.

And half of the freekicks against Ibra shouldn't even be called. He just gets a lot of bogus calls against him because he is a big, strong mofo with an arrogant attitude.
Didier Drogba :thmbup:

And Pulsy I'm not going to dare to question Ibra's status as a
world class player, in fact he's the best player I've ever seen :nervous: :D

·
Registered
5,754 Posts

You should have seen Drogba yesterday, the guy practically controlled every damn long hopeless ball from the defense while getting pressurised from the back by Toure and Gallas.

·
Registered
46,068 Posts
Drogba did well, but I think they stepped off a bit from him yesterday.

Zlatan though always shows the strength to bring the ball down while holding off the defenders. Then he shows great control and passes it off or goes on the dribble. The problem is that support hasn't been forthcoming in recent times. He's done really well all the same.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
If Roles were swapped, Drogba playing in Serie A would have similar problems in terms of ball-holding up front with high balls. EPL did not bother much about physical contact on 50/50 balls.

When Zlatan chests down a high ball... with some contact. Whistle is blown. The smaller guy has the advantage.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
there is no doubt in my mind that zlatan has world class skill, his touch is amazing, what he can do with the ball is amazing...

BUT...

it's not just these 2 years with inter that he's been a let down in big games, it was also his previous 2 years with juventus...regardless of who he has surrounding him, if he directly takes on the role of attacking impetus of the team, then when he doesn't perform it will obviously be noticed...it isn't fair to blame him for all of inter's troubles in the CL these last 2 years, but it isn't fair to declare him untouchable and infallible either...

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2 years of Juventus with who as coach might I ask?

It's the system once more. I guarantee you that if he played in a real team, he would be as good as Messi and Kaka.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
no no no...that's not what i mean...while i understand your argument about the tactics, if regardless of those tactics zlatan carries inter week in and week out, and then on the big occasion fails, then surely some of the blame must be directed towards him...

if you praise the player when he dominates lazio, palermo and sampdoria, but then give him a free pass when he doesn't perform against liverpool or juventus, then surely you're using a double standard with him...

i'm not saying zlatan isn't a phenomenal player, i'm just playing the devil's advocate here, i don't think its right going around giving free passes to players when they obviously have some input in the outcome of the match (regardless of tactics)...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts