Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nobody is discussing this...

Spanish giants Real Madrid are the richest club in the world, edging European champions Manchester United into second place, according to a report by global accounting firm Deloitte.

Il Corriere Dello Sport has released the figures from Deloitte, which make for some interesting reading, particularly in the case of Juventus.

Los Merengues lead the rich list as they generated a massive €366 million during season 2007-08. Manchester United are second with €325m while Barcelona are ranked third with an income of €309m for the same period.

The Premier League has the greatest influence in the top 20, with Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle United, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur all present.

Milan are the richest Italian club, however, they are eighth overall with €210m.

The Old Lady of Italian football, Juventus, are 11th in the list. The Bianconeri are the poorest earners out of the top four clubs in Serie A. Roma are behind Milan on €175m, followed by Inter on €173m and finally Juve on €168.

The top 20 includes Bayern Munich, Schalke 04, Hamburg and Stuttgart from the Bundesliga. France's Ligue 1 is also represented with Olympique Lyonnais and Olympique de Marseille making the rich list. Fenerbahce of Turkey are also present.

Our revenue is more than 150 mil euros less than Real and 99 less than Barca. Scarry thig is that italian clubs have focused to much on the TV deals, negligating other income areas such as new stadiums etc. ANd than from 2010, u got the collective TV-deal fro Serie A.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,984 Posts
I don't give a shit about these numbers, they show absolutely nothing. Some club can be in a huge debt with bank loans and still create a lot of revenue. It doesn't necessarily mean they're rich, they might be on the verge of bankrupcy.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Wise words, my friend Andrea.

We do not need what are in my superficially humble opinion- risky and advanced financial maneuvers, in order to achieve success. We have Europe as our queen without needing a trust fund, like those Spaniards.

I am glad to see that your judgment is coming of age as time goes by.

Also I grin in glee. For no particular reason.

Attachments

·
Administrator
52,971 Posts
Its revenue based only, not assets etc. Juve having 2 slow years in terms of revenue due to 2nd division and then no CL for 2 years makes it obvious, but there are several ahead of us in this list which I NOW are poorer then us in overall as clubs, Roma being one. Our financial health and stature is still one of THE strongest in the sport, despite this dip in revenue in the last 2 years.

Yeah Italian teams have issues in terms of how the operate, but when it comes to Juve, we used to be the highest Italian team in this regard, and top 4 usually, because our merchandizing and global marketing was only 2nd to the likes of Man U and Real from what I could remember.

·
Scudetto
23,383 Posts
because our merchandizing and global marketing was only 2nd to the likes of Man U and Real from what I could remember.
Wouldn't that make Juve 3rd? :confused:

:D

Anyway, its quite shocking really that Spurs and Newcastle especially earn so much money.

·
Administrator
52,971 Posts
:pp

It is shocking in a way, but also, the bussiness and sporting merchandize culture in England is WAY more advanced. Being a fan means really investing some dough in club related activities and products, so the market the english clubs can cateer to, is not just global (where most dough is), but match day merchandize etc, is quite a difference in England then in Italy.

But yeah, mostly better financial structure, to say the least. Italy is too narrow in their financial thinking in overall, so the difference being noted like that with lower half of the table clubs like those two earning alot, says quite a bit about the bussiness cultures.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder what the italian teams have to do to cut the gap? Sugardaddies are not the way of the future.

·
Registered
295 Posts
there are so man factors to worry about that those figures, which mind you are probably not 100% accurate anyway, which makes it impossible to really comment on.

Revenue is simply that, revenue. Turnover can be created in many ways, but how much of that turnover falls to the bottom is the absolute question.

How much debt does an organisation go into to get certain revenue?

Debt to equity is a ratio which gives a better indication.

What are the operating profit margins for these organisations? What would you rather, profiting 10% on 200 million, or 20% of 150 million? How many are not making a profit at all?

Ie a club could purchase a football school, or anything, which increases revenue, but if it also increases debt and makes a loss, then the effect on the books is much greater than simply looking at it in revenue figures.

Debt to equity is main one though. Many of those clubs are in huge debt.

Manchester united can not pay off its interest alone, let alone principal, I believe. This is a horrendous position to be in, especially in the current economic climate.

So, in other words, there is nowhere near enough information there to worry about.

All that really concerns us is the bottom line spending budget on the football department.

Leave that to Silvio.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I wonder what the italian teams have to do to cut the gap? Sugardaddies are not the way of the future.
what italy really needs is a world or euro cup, badly.

Our stadia are terribly not up to standard.

If anyone else has been to games in Italy and England, you will have notice just how far behind we are.

We are so far behind we are getting lapped, and Im not sure Italy even knows it.

·
Registered
19,795 Posts
Its revenue based only, not assets etc. Juve having 2 slow years in terms of revenue due to 2nd division and then no CL for 2 years makes it obvious, but there are several ahead of us in this list which I NOW are poorer then us in overall as clubs, Roma being one. Our financial health and stature is still one of THE strongest in the sport, despite this dip in revenue in the last 2 years.

Yeah Italian teams have issues in terms of how the operate, but when it comes to Juve, we used to be the highest Italian team in this regard, and top 4 usually, because our merchandizing and global marketing was only 2nd to the likes of Man U and Real from what I could remember.

From what I can remember from these kind of "rankings" over the past decade or so, Juve usualy used to be behind Milan in the list.

But I don't pay much attention to them because I don't think they are very accurate nor do they give a clear picture of a club's wealth and spending power. Roma being ahead of Inter sais it all really.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Good thread for discussion.

"We might not be high up in standing but we are the most sucsessful club in the world"

But I have to agree that Italy as a whole need to think about ideas to improved the league

1 - 12 of 12 Posts