Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Did you expect Snape's character to turn out like he did?

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good question...I kind of hoped/anticipated it at the end of Half-Blood Prince. there was something weird in this whole turning bad and I thought he might be a "secret agent"... although I didn't really expect it anymore during the last movie so it still caught me as a surprise.

He was probably my favourite character in the entire series.

David Thewlis'es character and his acting performance in The Prisoner of Azkaban was also great ... he didn't get much screen time in later movies unfortunately.

·
Administrator
52,887 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another very good question

they were all shown on one Estonian channel after Christmas and around NYE. but it was kind of random really that I accidentally caught a part of The Goblet of Fire on TV one day (the scene where Crazy Eye starts to teach the class) and it was surprisingly good and entertaining. I wahtced like 5 minutes or so and this was enough to convince me that those movies can't be as bad as I thought. So I started to watch the series from the beginning. The first 2 movies (directed by Chris Columbus) were kind of meh but Alfonso Cuaron's Prisoner of Azkaban was surprisingly good, especially that time travel thing during the last hour.

·
Registered
46,132 Posts
I have checked now. I didn't even know they had made so many. I thought there were five/six. Nah, I watched the first three and decided I was done with it.
Similarly to other famous sagas, Harry Potter doesn't leave me any particular emotion when the movie is over. Contrarily to other sagas I do not even feel the compulsion to reach the end of it by watching the movies I haven't watched yet.

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
Nice work, I tried something similar with the Marvel films, but only managed four films.

I did rewatch 4 Star Wars films + the new one just before Christmas, though in 2015 and 2017 I managed 6 or 7.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess one thing which kept me watching was the Englishness of the whole thing. A bunch of top British actors I had seen in other movies/shows. And it had a fair amount of quirky humor too in the early movies at least (it gets more serious and pretty dark towards the end of the saga). It must be said that the main kid actors trio (Radcliffe, Watson and the Ginger Kid) also do fantastic job...they really picked them out well.

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
Perhaps I got off on the wrong foot with regards to Emma Watson. I hadn't seen her in any films, didn't really know anything about her, but then a girl I was dating (a Swede of course) kept going on about a feminist Thunberg-like speech Watson did at the UN assembly a few years back. Seriously, she thought watching it would win me over. ? But now I hear Watson is really good in Greta Gerwig's new Little Women film.

Btw, it happens sometimes that an actor who was famous for some teen stuff emerges as a "serious" actor and people talk about them as if I should've known them already, e.g. Robert Pattinson from High Life and Good Time was supposedly in Harry Potter and Twillight.

·
Administrator
30,570 Posts
She was pretty much the best of the young trio, albeit nothing out of this world, but I had with the movie, the same attention I gave to the books, years ago, the first 3. Everything is very formulaic and this strategy to add great actors to baiscally do something for their grandchild to watch does not appeal to me. It is just cheap nostalgia appeal. I thought you would be tired of Emma Watson because Ronaldwho couldn't stop talking about her back on the days.

I hope you at least watched the Marvel movies worth to be watched and not wasted your time with silly stuff like Iron Man. As Star Wars, except Rogue One (and now Mandalorian, which is an good, thanks to the 30 minutes size of the episodes, revival of the old man & cub stories and hopefully without skywalkers) , everything done since Empire Strikes back is a waste (reggarding movies) and unworthy any view.

And Van, I already imagined Snape was an emo with good heart since the first book. Stock character and all.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Perhaps I got off on the wrong foot with regards to Emma Watson. I hadn't seen her in any films, didn't really know anything about her, but then a girl I was dating (a Swede of course) kept going on about a feminist Thunberg-like speech Watson did at the UN assembly a few years back. Seriously, she thought watching it would win me over. ? But now I hear Watson is really good in Greta Gerwig's new Little Women film.

Btw, it happens sometimes that an actor who was famous for some teen stuff emerges as a "serious" actor and people talk about them as if I should've known them already, e.g. Robert Pattinson from High Life and Good Time was supposedly in Harry Potter and Twillight.
Watson is pretty awesome, one of my favorite actresses even before I saw this series (I especially love her role in Bling Ring). She's probably a nutcase IRL, I don't know as I don't pay any attention to things like these. But she's really good in the Potter movies and outshines her co-childstars in earlier ones especially.

Pattinson was in the 4th movie of the Potter series, I had no idea about it either.

·
Registered
42,725 Posts
I used to be so obsessed with HP. Visited Muggle Net every day.

Though I haven't seen all the movies. Just reread the books countless times. Azkaban and Goblet of fire are my faves. Snape is my fave character.

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
Regarding Bill's and Watson, some of these XT inside baseball things go over my head.

I don't mind the Star Wars prequals tbh, even though they're terrible in many ways. The ambitious stab at Great Power Politics, and so on, comical, but I like it a little bit. The Abrams ones, well, entertaining enough, though they didn't need be over 2 hrs each, Marvel style. In fact a lot of the humour and character has been somewhat Marvelised. I actually enjoyed the "controversial" Rian Johnson one more this time and it was interesting to see how systematically Abrams & co. "dismantled" everything he tried to build. One criticism I didn't get was that the fanboys were so angry that Johnson had turned Luke into an old crank, like a revisionist cowboy. I mean, let it go! But no one let anything go that's the problem. "Kill" Chewbacca, revive him 7 minutes later, then 3PO, and so on. I do love Star Wars (1977) and Empire is great entertainment, perfectly calibrated and so on, though much less charming and mysterious than SW. Return of the Jedi - I like the Jabba stuff, everything on Endor is terrible, not just the Ewoks (I guess that's not an unconventional opinion).

I watched precisely the Marvel films JCam recommended, remember. Guardian 1 and 2 + Ragnarok and Black Panther. And I had seen Infinity (and Iron Man in 2008). Ragnarok is great fun (I still can't believe how bad Jojo Rabbit is), Black Panther more interesting than the others, I guess because it's grounded in reality, a director who comitted to a vision, a form of tribalism that is allowable, namely Black Nationalism (reformist and revolutionary, respectively). So that's different from, say, the gigantic Thanos films which are about nothing. I was reminded of Wagner's antisemitic writings (that are mandatory in the preface for any book/article on him) about Jewish composers like Meyerbeer and Mendelsohn. He claims their fatal flaw as artists, despite their talents, was that they were in no position to commit to anything, since they weren't "Germans" (in that atavistic Fichtean or Wagnerian sense), nor was a "Jewish" expression something they strove for, more like the opposite. Anyway, I wasn't blown away or hooked in the end.

·
Administrator
30,570 Posts
Regarding Bill's and Watson, some of these XT inside baseball things go over my head.

I don't mind the Star Wars prequals tbh, even though they're terrible in many ways. The ambitious stab at Great Power Politics, and so on, comical, but I like it a little bit. The Abrams ones, well, entertaining enough, though they didn't need be over 2 hrs each, Marvel style. In fact a lot of the humour and character has been somewhat Marvelised. I actually enjoyed the "controversial" Rian Johnson one more this time and it was interesting to see how systematically Abrams & co. "dismantled" everything he tried to build. One criticism I didn't get was that the fanboys were so angry that Johnson had turned Luke into an old crank, like a revisionist cowboy. I mean, let it go! But no one let anything go that's the problem. "Kill" Chewbacca, revive him 7 minutes later, then 3PO, and so on. I do love Star Wars (1977) and Empire is great entertainment, perfectly calibrated and so on, though much less charming and mysterious than SW. Return of the Jedi - I like the Jabba stuff, everything on Endor is terrible, not just the Ewoks (I guess that's not an unconventional opinion).
The problem of the prequels is not even the theme, I mean, Star Wars have been always charged with some naive political theme, the problem is almost basic editing, the movies lack rythim and coeherence to sustain Lucas vision (at least he has some, unlike Abrams). The originals used well the rythim of old sic-fic series, the cut in and all, it walked side by side with the history of a bunch of rebels against a huge empire (which you never see for real), it was like, the "evil" of the empire depleted the galaxy borders. With the high collored, pretty CGI world of the prequels, the same fast editing is a fail, it gave to the movies the videogame air (of course, the original movies gave the videogames some notion of narrative in first plac,e so it is pretty much the snake bitting its own tail). It does not help that, despite Star Wars had little need of great actors (only charismatic actors for stock characters such as Ford or Fisher), Mark Hamill was not very bad and the prequels just fail reggarding his protagonist. Lucas had to show the republic and the empire, so it is more a world building tolkienist trip by the galaxy rather than a story.

The Abrams movies... I think JJAbrams is the worst thing possible in Hollywood. All shit there. Inane appeal to nostalgia, copy and pasting from previous movies, not a single hair strand of creativity to revision the themes and characters for a modern audience (the far he can go is "I am a genius, if the Luke of this trilogy is a girl, I am creating somehting new", when Black Panther did updated the Bond/Indian Jones for the Africans, they went way more far to give ground for the movie to work) . His movies are unworthy of anything. Always playing safe, the coward. Johnson movie is bad, but at least he tried to move a few steps from the originals, it is almost as if he couldnt (since the movie is basically a copy out of Empire Strikes back) and left some protests like Kylo Ren or Grump Luke. In a very analyse, those movies are colossal failures of great sucesss for Disney. It is no wonder Rogue One is the only decent movie of the new generation, despite being stuck on the whole steal the death star plan, the characters are actually distant from the whole skywalker family.

I thought you would have more empathy for the fanboys. They are just protecting of their borders. :D

I watched precisely the Marvel films JCam recommended, remember. Guardian 1 and 2 + Ragnarok and Black Panther. And I had seen Infinity (and Iron Man in 2008). Ragnarok is great fun (I still can't believe how bad Jojo Rabbit is), Black Panther more interesting than the others, I guess because it's grounded in reality, a director who comitted to a vision, a form of tribalism that is allowable, namely Black Nationalism (reformist and revolutionary, respectively). So that's different from, say, the gigantic Thanos films which are about nothing. I was reminded of Wagner's antisemitic writings (that are mandatory in the preface for any book/article on him) about Jewish composers like Meyerbeer and Mendelsohn. He claims their fatal flaw as artists, despite their talents, was that they were in no position to commit to anything, since they weren't "Germans" (in that atavistic Fichtean or Wagnerian sense), nor was a "Jewish" expression something they strove for, more like the opposite. Anyway, I wasn't blown away or hooked in the end.
Yeah, I even think the first movie was well done, because in the end the whole pseudo-Nietzchism of Thanos was balanced by the more simple story which was his relation with Gamorra. The second movie, I left the theatre feeling dragged down by a festival of imbecilities mixed with Comic Books posters. Honestly, the best super-heroe movie of the year was Shazam, a comic movie with a youth target audience fully aware of its strengths and thematics, with a lot of more understanding of what the character was meant to be or super-heroes in general. Superheroes TV series are superior, specially those away from Disney: Legion is a masterwork, Doom Patrol is a great metafiction non-sense, Watchmen failed in many ways to outlive the comic book, but has great momments and even the teen Cloack & Dagger ended dealing with more actual real themes than all the movies (and the movies take the fame for their often swallow take on modern day conflicts) and Jessica Jones/Daredevil did great for the action defined series. Of course, only Doom Patrol survives (Watchmen may be renewed since it was a good hit, but if so, will be an anthology series) because They (Disney) do not take the rist, either with themes, language or anything.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used to be so obsessed with HP. Visited Muggle Net every day.

Though I haven't seen all the movies. Just reread the books countless times. Azkaban and Goblet of fire are my faves. Snape is my fave character.
Muggle Net lol

I read some imdb reviews about Potter movies today and half of these were people raging how much was left out from the books. Big deal... the movies worked (except The Order of the Phoenix maybe, although it's hard for me to say whetter the problem was in screenplay/directing or the book itself).

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
regarding Star Wars prequels...

the last Star Wars movie I watched in the cinema was The Phantom Menace and I actually liked it (of course I was pretty young then). I think part of it was exactly this video game feel, it had good effects for the time and it didn't take itself seriously.

I think I tried to watch the next one too (from a computer screen) and didn't make it until the end, it seemed pretty shit.

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
It was a silly battle in the end over The Last Jedi, fanboys up against "progressive" fans who would call it the way forward for cinema because Johnson threw them some lumps: A womansplaining admiral with purple hair, a nerdy non-white female animal rights activist as the "heart" of the story, a Mar-a-Lago style resort populated by "the scum of the earth", the backdoor still left open for a gay relationship between Isaac and Boyega, Rey as an orphan (which to the progressives ment that the film came down on the side of nurture instead of nature,euality instead of hierarchy). I can actuallly see how the famous Lesbian kiss at the end of the last film is an affront when they had expected something more. Anyway, the final film was just awful, the only fun of it was actually checking the boxes, there goes one fan complaint, there goes another, and so on..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts