Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the moment, a team like Juve or Milan will end up playing 38 league matches, and around 8 Italian Cup Matches (assuming they make it to the end). If you reach the Champions League final, it would have meant that you would have played 13 Champions League matches. That makes a total of almost 60 matches in a season. Given that the season is 8-9 months, you are looking at an average of a game every 4 days - and that does not count international duties.

Rather than having super leagues, I think the best solution is to trim the number of teams in each league.

If there were only 16 teams, in every league, that would mean, that there would be 8 less league games and if you scapped the Italian cup, that would give you 8 less games as well.

I would like to take 16 fixtures away from domestic leagues and put them into the Champions League. This way the Champions league would be 29-30 fixtures - and in line with domestic fixtures.

If you want to see top quality football, then its got to be Champions League football. I would like to cut the number of teams in the Champions league from 32 to 16. Then those 16 teams actually play each other twice, in a proper LEAGUE. That would definately decide the best team in Europe.

I would love to see that happen although it would be really really hard to implement.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Good thread, although I've a feeling it'll feel more at home in the World Football forum than here, but no matter. :)

I think all top European leagues should trim their sizes down dramatically. I think 16 teams is an optimal number. Back when the Serie A was a 18-team league I have already expressed discomfort; when it expanded to 20 it just became plain lame. What are they going to do next; combine A and B together?

UEFA should go back to the drawing boards and organise competitions according to what they're supposed to represent; not how much money they can potentially make. I loved the simplicity of the old format; the Champion of each European league play in the European Cup (straight 2-legged knockouts; no leagues please! Too many games!), the next best 2 or 3 teams play in the UEFA Cup, and the domestic cup winners play in the Cup-winners' Cup. What was so wrong with this? Why change something that had been so successful for years?

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Catenaccio said:
If you want to see top quality football, then its got to be Champions League football. I would like to cut the number of teams in the Champions league from 32 to 16. Then those 16 teams actually play each other twice, in a proper LEAGUE. That would definately decide the best team in Europe.
Although that is such a nice idea from a true football supporter, it would perhaps take away the excitement of the Champions League knock out competition. I would say your idea of cutting teams from 32 to 16 is an excellent idea. This allows 3rd and 4th placed teams to compete in the UEFA Cup, bringing back the competiton and the prestiege back into the it. As for the Cup Winners Cup, if they want one, they can have one.

Either way, the current system sucks.

What I don't understand is, wouldn't UEFA make more money by re-introducing the Cup Winners Cup?

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Yes, UEFA is such a brilliant organiser of things that they should definitely have the authority to tell the individual countries how to organise their domestic leagues.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I do think that Serie A expanding itself to 20 teams last season was a step in the wrong direction. But unfortunately, the revenues all favor growth over contraction. Look at what happened to the Champions League, and hence the UEFA Cup, as others have mentioned. It's become like the NHL when a fifth place finisher in a league still qualifies -- that's ludicrous.

Playoff and tournament money is like crack. Once they start using more of it, nobody can put it down and go back to the old ways. Even if it risks diluting the product immensely.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Interesting topic, but I would definitely contradict it. That´s my personal opinion as a fan whose team is miles away from the top of the league and the CL places (1.FCN). There have been talks in Germany that we should also expand the Bundesliga to 20 teams and I would really prefer it. Unfortunately these talks have vanished a bit. More games, more chances to earn money at home games, more money from TV channels... These are all aspects from which smaller clubs would profit.

A league with 16 teams in leagues like Serie A, Premier League, La Liga or the Bundesliga for example would be rubbish. It´s not only because my team won´t play CL or UEFA Cup in the next years realistically, it´s the games in the own country that attratcts more fans... the derbies.

And please leave the UEFA out of the individual leagues.

btw, I would switch that thread into the world football forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts