Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know that Donadoni will not use Borriello at all. For the game against Netherlands, I remembered saying to myself....Toni is having an off game....lets bring on Inzaghi to snatch a goal....oh I forgot, he didn't take him.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
With all respect, I find such topics meaningless. "I knew this, I knew that" etc. Who cares about that? It's all done, Inzaghi is at home. We have 23 players taken, 11 of which MUST be able to get this team out of s*it. The only issue right now is who those 11 men (or ten, to be exact, since Buffon will start unless he gets seriously injured) should be.

·
Administrator
53,224 Posts
Toni doesnt deserve a 3rd of the heat he has gotten for the Holland game.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no I agree, but lets face it, we don't really have a dependable striker to use as an alternative.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Boriello will be used if Toni gets injured or suspended. Inzaghi isn't a direct replacement; that's why he wasn't brought.

In other words, Donadoni is one-dimensional.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
The obvious candidates to be substituted from that first game were, in order: Materazzi, Gattuso, Barzagli, Ambrosini and - as the second half wore on - Camoranesi.

Not in any one of those instances would I have put on Inzaghi had he been available. If he had been, his fate would have been the same as Boriello's is.... he wouldn't get playing time unless Toni got an injury. Toni will and should play 90 minutes in every game Italy plays at this tournament.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Well the exclusion of Inzaghi was not the problem against Holland... indeed Donadoni made the rigth subs, but too late against Holland.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
He Could have got Inzaghi instead of Quagliarella though
Whats the point? If I am right, and I believe I am :) , about Toni being an absolutely immovable object in this Italy, Inzaghi being there would merely insure that you have two players to cover for a player who is not going to be substituted unless for injury. That is two players not getting playing time.
Neither Pippo nor Boriello is good for anything except playing the same position Toni does (differently, especially in Pippo's case, but Pippo cannot play with Toni, nor the reverse).

Quagliarella at least gives Italy different options, even if I am not that sold on him.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Quagliarella was called more for his versaitlity upfront... considering he is just a 6th striker.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Inzaghi can only play in Toni's place. Quag can play further out wide if needed. I think that's why he got called up.

But since Donadoni would rather die than reveal any of his decisions, I don't feel compelled to defend him.

·
Scudetto
23,477 Posts
Quag can play out wide, true, but so can Cassano, Di Natale, Del Piero and Camo.

Toni plays a pure aerial game, if defenders figure him out than there ain't much he can do.

Inzaghi on the other hand, nobody can figure out :proud:

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Quag can play out wide, true, but so can Cassano, Di Natale, Del Piero and Camo.

Toni plays a pure aerial game, if defenders figure him out than there ain't much he can do.

Inzaghi on the other hand, nobody can figure out :proud:
Toni's game is multi-dimensional, not only aeriel.

It's true Inzaghi is a wily old fox, though. :)

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
maybe even iaquinta could have been useful...in a perfect world, you would be able to bring as many players as you want, but the squad has limits, be it.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Iaquinta would have been in and Quags out should he have been fit and indeed that would have been the most useful inclusion becaue of his speed.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts