Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the bat in the crest mean?

What exactly does Valencia have to do with oranges, or the color orange?

sorry if making a new thread is stupid, but I didnt see anywhere else where I could ask

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
WilliamFAlmeida said:
Whats the bat in the crest mean?
The bat on the club crest is symbol of the municipality and replaced the heraldic dragon in the 16th century on the Valencian flag.

WilliamFAlmeida said:
What exactly does Valencia have to do with oranges, or the color orange?
The Valencian region, like Sevilla, is famous for its orange groves.

·
Registered
27,295 Posts
Who are Valancia's fiercest rivals? How many league cups have they won?
Who's Valencia's greatest ever player?

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
villareal,real,barca,levante

6 ligas and 6 copas

kempes

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Serb said:
Who are Valancia's fiercest rivals? How many league cups have they won?
Who's Valencia's greatest ever player?
Maxi... Villarreal??! :D They're so new in this.

I'd say that the main rivals are Barça and Madrid, although probably the order now is Real Madrid and Barça, since the 90s.

There are two regional historical rivalries with Hercules and Castellon, more from these 2 teams anyway. Sadly, very violent sometimes. But these teams are in deep crisis since long ago.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Villarreal and Levante as Maxi said are also som great rivals since they are from the same region.
Lets hope that Levante gets promoted and then we will have a derby again.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
koeman4, when i live in castellon my family always go to valencia-villareal match......the people is crazy there about this match, the people talk about this match 2 weeks from before !!!

·
semi-retired
18,554 Posts
arfy05 said:
How big is the support for Valencia in Espana?
Next to barca and madrid i guess. It's a pretty big region you know.

Is Valencia considered the 'third' team of Spain or are there other teams considered bigger (Atleti, Athletic, etc)
Title wise, Atleti and Bilbao have two more league titles. Bilboa has way more copa titles as well. But europe wise, I think Valencia have more titles.

Hey we might aswell keep the thread going :pp
Yep.

·
40,147 Posts
Maximiliano said:
koeman4, when i live in castellon my family always go to valencia-villareal match......the people is crazy there about this match, the people talk about this match 2 weeks from before !!!
But this is NOW. And there's no other team of the region in Primera, but historically Villarreal are nothing, while Hercules, Elche and Castellon have played many years in Primera. Thanks god, they're getting back, the crisis of football in this region was scary.

arfy05 said:
How big is the support for Valencia in Espana?

Is Valencia considered the 'third' team of Sapin or are there other teams considered bigger (Atleti, Athletic, etc)
The third club is Atlético de Madrid for sure. Just taking the PPV petitions, you realize about it.

Valencia would share the 4th place with Athletic and Betis, I think. Barcelona and Real Madrid have lots of fans anywhere in Spain, even in "rival" zones. There are lots of fan groups of Barcelona and Madrid even in Valencia. Atlético also have support anywhere in Spain, but in a much much lower degree. The rest of clubs have a more local support. Maybe Athletic and Betis seem to have more fans, but this is because the Basques and the Andaluces have immigrated to other locations, while the País Valencià is normally a "receiver" region. But I don't think Betis and Athletic have more fans than Valencia and, if so, not much more.... insignificant.

The País Valencià have 3 provinces: (from North to South) Castellón, Valencia and Alicante (where I used to live). Valencia gets most of the support from the province of Valencia. At the same time, they also get a lot of support in the North towns of Alicante, except in Alcoi (industrial town with a historical team, Alcoyano). But in zones like Denia, Altea, La Vila Joiosa, Benidorm,... they're the first team. The south of the province of Alicante is different, Alicante city have 2 teams, Hercules and Alicante; Elche also have an important club; and the rest of towns of that zone usually choose Hercules or Elche as the clubs to support.

When Valencia won La Liga, in Alicante, there were just 20 guys celebrating it in a foutain. :D And Alicante is by far, the 2nd city of the region.

In Castellón, it is similar, the smallest towns of the south usually support Valencia, but nowadays I guess Villarreal is making more impact. Castellón is like Alicante, they also have their own club. The North zone also have many Catalan influence.

I'm 100% sure that Barça and Madrid have more supporters in Alicante and Castellón than Valencia. But Valencia is over Atlético for sure here.

Atlético gets much support from zones of Spain without important clubs, especially the 2 Castillas, Extremadura, La Rioja; not that much from the periferic coast zones, usually richer.

In terms of titles, Atlético have more leagues and similar European trophies. Athletic also have more Ligas and Copas, but nothing in Europe. Zaragoza also could compete with Valencia in terms of European titles and Copas, but they never won La Liga. The rest are smaller in titles.

valenciaholic said:
How are Valencian's attitude toward's their team? Are they as demanding as REal's or BArca's? Are they as tough as Sevilla's or Betis or are they happy as Cadiz's fans?
The Valencia fans are traditionally very loyal ("Mestalla nunca falla"... Mestalla never fails), but also very very exigent, as much as the RM and Barça fans, especially lately. I still recall how they booed Benitez's team, even when the team was fighting for the 1st place and the "Benitez go away". Although Valencia is a team that have played some conservative football lately, the fans don't like it that much. So they're exigent and tough, but very loyal, they won't leave the stadium empty and they follow the team with passion.

Mestalla is a noisy stadium too (for the Spanish standards), much more than the Camp Nou and the Bernabeu. Less than the Calderón though. But in general, they are a crowd that support the team.

I was in a Valencia-Barça 2 years ago (we won 0-1, Gerard :pp). Well, this game is always a bit special, but the crowd was fantastic, except for the 10 usually idiots (Yomus, ultra right ultras) that ANY club have. In this case, literally 10. :D The Yomus are very few, but VERY dangerous.

In the last 2 years, I used to go to Valencia very often, so I got to learn more about the valencianistas. I think they're very proud of their team, but they know about their limitations compared with Barça and Madrid. So the most important is to see the team fighting. In general, I think the valencianistas are happy with the current status. For obvious reasons, it's hard for them to compete with the 2 bigs, but they're always there lately and they're happy with it, as long as there is hard work.

·
semi-retired
18,554 Posts
Gee. I didn't expect such a complete answer. Thanks

O.K here is a tough one K4:
If you are from Valencia(or somewhere around it) Why aren't you a Valencia fan? Why are you a barca fan? Do you like Real more than Valencia? I know that is impossible for a barca fan but since you are a Valencia native and you don't root for the home team, anything is possible. Kinda like Atletico barca relationship. Both hate Madrid.
Now you must answer in the spirit of keepng the thread going.

·
40,147 Posts
valenciaholic said:
Gee. I didn't expect such a complete answer. Thanks

O.K here is a tough one K4:
If you are from Valencia(or somewhere around it) Why aren't you a Valencia fan? Why are you a barca fan? Do you like Real more than Valencia? I know that is impossible for a barca fan but since you are a Valencia native and you don't root for the home team, anything is possible. Kinda like Atletico barca relationship. Both hate Madrid.
Now you must answer in the spirit of keepng the thread going.
I was born in Barcelona, although I lived most of my life in Alicante. My dad is Catalan, my mother originally isn't but she lived there too. I'm consider myself a Catalan "of the South", half catalan, half alicantino. :D Then many times you are what your dad is when it comes to football and, for me, the only colors I've lived since I am a kid are the blaugranas. Of course, sometimes you also tend to have sympathies for the club of the city you live when you're a kid. The big club of Alicante is Hercules, who have been in Primera many times, the last time in the mid 90s, which is a bigger game than Valencia-Levante, if you ask me. I still recall the last Hercules-Valencia here, 38000 people in the stands and easily 12000 of them valencianistas. Sadly, it ended with a lot of violence and riots out of the stadium. The rivalry is okay and nice, that's what football is about, but when it goes to that point, I hate it. Also a friend of Alicante got the car windows broken near Mestalla when the game was in Valencia. I don't get it, to tell you the truth, but all the regional derbies that involve Castellon, Hercules, Elche and Valencia are too tense.

Anyway, the point of all this is that, in Alicante, the football culture "teaches" you to be deeply anti-valencianista. I don't have much sympathies for Hércules, but for the small team of the city, Alicante CF (now in the top zone of Segunda B, I hope they promote to Segunda this time! :hopefull: ). But both clubs have something in common: Valencia is the "enemy". :D Maybe you've seen me making jokes about it with Setzer, he knows what this is about. In Alicante, Valencia is not a loved club at all, despite being the top team of the region. Anyway, Alicante is in many aspects the 4th province of Spain after Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia. For population, money, etc. Alicante should easily have a team in Primera.

As I said before, Valencia have many fans in the province of Valencia, and also in these coast towns of Alicante, like Xàbia, Denia, Altea, Benidorm. But in the zone of Alcoi, Alcoyano is the main team. In the central and southern part of the province of Alicante, Hercules and Elche are the main teams and it's really difficult to find valencianistas. To be honest, I don't know anyone born in Alicante who is a Valencia fan and, actually, they're usually the opposite, anti-valencianistas. So it's not weird that I don't have sympathies for Valencia, I guess.

Valencia isn't for the País Valencià like Barcelona for Catalunya. Barcelona is the team of most of the people in Catalunya, anywhere you go. Valencia is the biggest club in this region, but not everywhere, just in certain zones. As I said in my previous post, Barça and Real Madrid have large amounts of fans in all the region. In fact, the 2nd province of Spain with more Barcelona fan groups is Alicante only after Barcelona and over other provinces of Catalunya.

In the city where I lived, Valencia is really a tiny minority. Aside the home clubs, people usually support other clubs, because the home clubs are in low cathegories. Then Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atlético, Betis and Athletic (there are many Basques and Andaluces in Alicante) easily have more fans than Valencia, 100% sure.

In my case, it's mainly because my father is barcelonista and he brainwashed me. :D But even if he hadn't been this way, it would have been hard that I were valencianista for all what I said before. :)

·
40,147 Posts
EmiLin said:
They are at sixth place with just 3 points to the third place that means promotion.
Lets hope that they make it
Are you from Alicante?

EDIT:

We played yesterday, we're 2nd after the victory against L'Hospitalet in the last minutes. :thumbsup:
Standings

1 - 20 of 103 Posts