Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure this is the right forum for my anguish:D

But it's about the American TV coverage of the world cup. I've got myself all ready to go and get up at 1am on Sunday night to watch the England Sweden game live, and what do I find out???

They've only gone and put Paraguay vs South Africa on live instead. Why not show both of them? They have ESPN and ESPN2!!;)
So I now have to wait until 12 hours after the game to see England vs Sweden at 1:30pm MST.

To top it off I bet if I watch the Paraguay vs South Africa game, they'll keep telling me the score!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I am so pissed off right now it is unreal!!

Sorry for the rant, but I'm done now:D

cheers

Razor

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Let's hope that they don't post score updates. ABC is the parent company of ESPN, so they have the top choice in selecting a game for Sunday afternoon. At least they know a great game when they see one! ;)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bah, I'd rather them show it live, then repeat it as well.

It's still lame to me;)

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Raz, Univision is going to show all the matches live as far as I know. If you can get the channel, it might be something to consider then, although all the commentary will be in Spanish. Even if you don't speak Spanish, I reckon it will be more pleasant to listen to than whatever lame crap ESPN comes up with!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think I can get it, channel 22 by the looks of things. Guess I'll be watching it with Spanish commentary:D

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Nice to have you on this board Razor. Try Hitting your SAP button on the Telly, Mine must be broken as it doesn't work in reverse.
If that doesnt help I will tell you the score England 3 Sweden 0. Two goals by Owen One by Becks.;)

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
RazorUK said:
Yeah I think I can get it, channel 22 by the looks of things. Guess I'll be watching it with Spanish commentary:D
It is not really a bad fall-back option.:D

I think they have that famous Argentine announcer who does the 1 minute goal yell:D

·
Registered
538 Posts
I agree....even if it wason ESPN, they would have that phucking idiot Tommy Smyth commentating, and personally I would rather have my nadgers stretched for 90 minutes than listen to that ignorant douchebag.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Fred D,

You need to come out of your shell a little. Don't sugar coat it like that. Why don't you tell us how you really feel?;)

Oldplayer

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
You know what I hate even more???? The morons at FIFA who actually scheduled a World Cup in a place where we on the east coast have to get up at some ungodly hour to watch the World Cup....:D

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try living out on the west than pal;)

·
International
9,526 Posts
Fred Dineage said:
I agree....even if it wason ESPN, they would have that phucking idiot Tommy Smyth commentating, and personally I would rather have my nadgers stretched for 90 minutes than listen to that ignorant douchebag.
Tell me about it!!!! How the hell that drunk old codger got a job presenting a sport he can barely pronounce let alone provide anything remotely relevant on, is beyond me. We get both him and John Paul delacamera on sky over here, and its a right shambles. I pray to god, that we get English commentators for the world cup. Otherwise, I'm turning the sound down;)

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
I'm sure that once the sport takes the top spot in the US, ESPN will spend some money to find the best announcer on the planet! ;)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
World Cup Highlights

FYI

WORLD CUP 2NIGHT RETURNS TO ESPN2:

ESPN2 will present 26 stand-alone, daily episodes of the World Cup 2Night series - the network's nightly half-hour FIFA Men's World Cup recap show, beginning May 30 through June 29. Airing generally at 11:30 p.m. ET (8:30 p.m. PT), World Cup 2Night will serve as the definitive studio show for highlights, news and features of the 2002 FIFA World Cup in Korea-Japan.

Veteran soccer commentator Rob Stone will host and will be joined by one of Major League Soccer's winningest coaches, David Dir. Stone and Dir will be joined periodically in the studio by select MLS coaches, players and former players who will provide additional analysis. Between matches, ESPN and ESPN2 will also air 15 abbreviated editions of the World Cup 2Night Update studio program.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Guys, I won't reveal result or details here, but I just watched the opening game and I lasted about 3 minutes with the ESPN announcers before going to Univision. I am with our buddies here from across the big pond... Tommy Smyth is a senile imbecile. Sad to think that some neophyte American soccer fans might assume that because he'll say "he put it in the back of the old onion bag!" in his whatever accent that is that he knows even his ass from his elbow.

I am not at all fluent in Spanish but get about 50 to 75 percent of it, and since it is soccer commentary I usually get closer to 90 percent of it since I know what is going on on the field.

Also, the ESPN feed was about 7 to 10 seconds behind the Univision feed, and, on my TV at least, the ESPN picture was really poor quality, while the Univision picture was very sharp. Anyone else see that? I am going to stick with Univsion.

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
You missed some funny stuff, Freddie! :)

After six, seven minutes, Tommy the I know it all said that Senegal could not mount any offense because they had everyone staying in the back with just a lone striker. Ten minutes later, the same Tommy said that Senegal had lost discipline by getting their defense out too much, giving France too much room! :D

Joe Theisman syndrome! :dielaugh:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thank the stars that I live on the border with Canada. CBC is covering the Cup like a blanket. British announcer, 35 minute post game show, excellent highlights with intelligent commentary. So long ESPN.:tongue:

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
This morning I caught a few bits of the second half between France and Senegal. At first I started to watch on ESPN, but I quickly came to my senses and switched to Univision. Once in a while I would switch back to ESPN for comparison, and each instance made me more thankful of the fact that Univision will be covering all World Cup matches. I'll be sticking with Univision for the entire tournament, and any afternoon replays on ESPN I choose to watch will be done so with the volume turned off.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Kerry said:
Thank the stars that I live on the border with Canada. CBC is covering the Cup like a blanket. British announcer, 35 minute post game show, excellent highlights with intelligent commentary. So long ESPN.:tongue:
Oh man:(

We are stuck with J.P. Dellacamera or whatever his name is and that annoying as hell Tommy Smyth.:rolleyes:

We could have had Frank Deford and Jim Rome, that would have at least been entertaining:D:tongue:

1 - 20 of 109 Posts