Xtratime Community banner

i dont want frey, you?

1K views 89 replies 23 participants last post by  Swiftwilly 
#1 ·
LONDON, Jan 20 (Reuters) - Czech international goalkeeper Petr Cech has agreed to join Chelsea from French team Stade Rennes at the end of the season, his agent told newspapers on Tuesday.

'Petr's transfer is almost done, but the two clubs still have to confirm everything in writing,' Pavel Zika was quoted as saying.

The Premiership club have spent £111million on new players since Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich took control last year.

The 21-year-old Cech, currently first choice in the Czech national team, will cost Chelsea around £9million pounds.

Chelsea have four experienced goalkeepers on their books, Italians Carlo Cudicini and Marco Ambrosio, Scotland's Neil Sullivan and Austrian Juergen Macho.

Meanwhile, goalkeeper Sebastien Frey claims Arsenal and Chelsea want to buy him.

The 23-year-old Frenchman is currently at cash-strapped Italian club Parma and has said he is available for around £7million.

Frey claims to have spoken to Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, but would be happy at either Highbury or Stamford Bridge.

'I know that Arsenal and Chelsea are still very interested in buying me. The decision will be made in a few days,' Frey told the Daily Star. 'The choice will go to the club who pays better and especially up front.

'My valuation is between 10million and 12million euros (£6.9million and £8.3million). This solution is good for me. On one side I'll find Claudio Ranieri and on the other Arsene Wenger.

'One is Italian, the other is French. I won't have any trouble with the language. I've already spoken with Wenger - he's waiting for me.

'I feel good in Italy but I can't stay as it would be bad for Parma, who need money and soon.'

----------------

cech joined chelsea, so seems like we're the only people going for frey?

i am personally against it and reckon the money can be well spent on other stuff such as a partner for henry!!

we dont need frey seriously!! i mean taylor has proved his ability already, lehmann is doing fine! and we saw a few games of shaaban when we bought him and he was fine too!!!

do we need to spend that around 8mill for him? NO WAY, a striker or something will do much better.

your view?

See less See more
#2 ·
Swiftwilly said:
cech joined chelsea, so seems like we're the only people going for frey?

i am personally against it and reckon the money can be well spent on other stuff such as a partner for henry!!

we dont need frey seriously!! i mean taylor has proved his ability already, lehmann is doing fine! and we saw a few games of shaaban when we bought him and he was fine too!!!

do we need to spend that around 8mill for him? NO WAY, a striker or something will do much better.

your view? [/B]
agreed

lehman is doing brilliantly and we got a decent back up in taylor and shaaban

probably wenger can use the money to buy partner for henry or a CB e.g. mexes

#3 ·
I DO NEED him

he's a HIGHLY rated shoot stoper

how about buying Shabaan to WH with 2 million pounds
and also Taylor with 3 million pounds
as we did with Wright and Maninger

so the deal will be reduced to 2 million pounds
for a very good Keeper
of course better than both Shabaan and Taylor

http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/s7332.html

#5 ·
we have £10m but our need is for a forward not a keeper,so i would be very surprised if Wenger splashes most of his wedge on Frey. :)

we already have a good keeper,no matter how many opposition fans tell us he is "dodgy" ,he has helped us become the stingiest defence in England and all the Arsenal fans are well happy with Lehmann.

#9 ·
The point of using the money on another position is reasonable, but Frey is fantastic. Lehman is doing fine, but he'll never reach a top-level, while Frey is already there. He's between the 10 top goalkeepers in the world, IMO.

I'd say get him! Opportunities like that don't appear all the time.

#10 ·
To say Sebastian is merely "good" is frankly an insult, he's already proven he's more than destined to become one of the best goalkeepers in world football.

Frankly compared to him, Lehmann smells of average.

And Frey would be far too cheap too, thanks to stupid Tanzi making us bankrupt:rollani:

#11 ·
well i have been impressed with Lehmann,he comes for every ball and more importantly so has Wenger. :tongue:

i'll admit Frey is a notch above but our need for a forward is far more pressing,unless you don't know we have three forwards injured and one going to Africa.

getting a world class keeper can wait,Lehmann is doing a top job for a £1.5m man and he has the tightest record in England,so Frey would not make a great deal of difference,maybe we would have conceded 1 less goal,is that worth blowing our entire kitty on?....i don't think so :cool:

#13 ·
if lehmann sucks look at the stats:

goals against the top three clubs

arsenal: 14
man utd: 15
chelseaaa: 17

and to be frank, we have conceeded the least goals of ALL teams in the EPL. lehmann sht? i dont think so, his good enough. we need to spend money wisely, and it is wenger. striker is needed for partner henry since - berggy retire, willy seems to be leaving, kanu seems to be leaving, and ali is injured, franny...franny..eer..yea..

however its nice to see we have scored the most goals in the EPL also hahaha:howler:

#14 ·
cam said:
To say Sebastian is merely "good" is frankly an insult, he's already proven he's more than destined to become one of the best goalkeepers in world football.

Frankly compared to him, Lehmann smells of average.

And Frey would be far too cheap too, thanks to stupid Tanzi making us bankrupt:rollani:

Okay, I changed my statement that he is a 'world class' goalkeeper, are you satisfied now ?

There're reasons why Arsenal fans prefer not to bring another goalkeeper here as we are not in big pressure need for new one. If all of this rumors and news comes earlier, of course I'd choose Frey than Lehmann any day. However, we have so much other things like faith and belief to the each member of the squad who currently playing for us. Even as long term plan, we still have Stuart Taylor which I think can be better and as good as Casillas.

Last time, people call us and especially Wenger stupid for letting Rustu signed for other club. But now, I don't think Rustu is performing that well compare to Lehmann.

#16 ·
This is really quite interseting on the one hand we have A great keeper in Lehmann, he has been an absoloute star for us and rarely puts a foot wrong, however he is oldish and prone to opening his trap.

Then you have Frey who would seem the ideal man for the moment his Young, French, and cheap. Yes he is prone to idiocy but it's on the odd occasion possibly one of the best shot stoppers there are, 2nd best keeper in Italy, within a couple of years if he contiues his progress will probably be the no 1 keeper in the world.

However technically it would be breaking Wenger policy Lehmann hasn't put a foot wrong really, considering the amount of second chances he has given to other players who haven't been performing i.e. Wiltord, and Kanu it seems unlike Wenger. However he is know for his shrewdness when buying perhaps he sees the situation as something to good to pass up.

I would like him at Arsenal, but i wouldn't like to be the 1 to tell Lens.

Then again it may just be media beat up.

Also on the subject of money have we won the lottery or something first it's this then supposedly where tabling bids for Van Persie. Aparentley we have put in a huge bid for Reyes, and aparentley we have signed Kluivert for the summer. Fine Kluivert's transfer wont break the budget but correct me if im wrong, we are either upping prices or we have more than this 20mill mark. Who knows but i do have confidence in Wenger

#17 ·
the media haven't got much to say,the expected rush of signings in the window hasn't materialised so they have to fill their sites and papers with agent talk.

the only deal i believe is Van Persie,because he is in our price range and Wenger didn't deny he had made a bid. :cool:

#18 ·
Zhuge Liang said:
Okay, I changed my statement that he is a 'world class' goalkeeper, are you satisfied now ?

There're reasons why Arsenal fans prefer not to bring another goalkeeper here as we are not in big pressure need for new one. If all of this rumors and news comes earlier, of course I'd choose Frey than Lehmann any day. However, we have so much other things like faith and belief to the each member of the squad who currently playing for us. Even as long term plan, we still have Stuart Taylor which I think can be better and as good as Casillas.

Last time, people call us and especially Wenger stupid for letting Rustu signed for other club. But now, I don't think Rustu is performing that well compare to Lehmann.
I think Casillas is all hype, incredibly erratic & well, not as good as he could/should be.

Plus from what I understand Seba could cost €5m. You guys can do the maths, but even if Arse still have just £15m to spend that means you can buy a striker for about £12m AND Seba.

Do say you don't want him, as the thread title says, is stupid, because you wouldn't say no. You just have other priorities;)

#19 ·
Well, I am just stating my opinion. ;)

It all depends on Wenger, I trust his decision. I know Frey's quality and have no doubt on his ability, so even if Arsenal signs him I'd still happy. :)

And I don't think Casillas is a hype. I have seen him many times and I'd say he made good job for young goalkeeper of his age.

#20 ·
The four clubs VDV has spoken about are Manure, Liverpool. Arsenal and Barca.He has spoken of Arsenal.But where has all this money come from ? I agree Lehmann is doing fine but you have the oppurtunity to sign one of the best keepers in the world who could play for the next 10+ years for you.

Casillas isnt hype.I rate him higher than Frey.

#21 ·
King of the Kop said:
Casillas isnt hype.I rate him higher than Frey.
Sure, but you are just wrong;)

Only kidding, I've probably not seen enough Casillas to judge him to be brutally honest, but from what I have watched, probably due to his defence this season which is nothing short of pathetic, he has looked a bit poor.

G
#24 · (Edited)
WHEN Arsenal qualify for the CL, Wenger will be given £20million to spend, he's confirmed it himself. Kluivert seems the most likely option upfront and he's only going to cost around £3million. Van Percie will cost about £4.5million, so that'll be the funds down to £12.5million, of which around £4.5million would get Frey. and still leave Wenger with £8million.

Arsenal do need Frey, simple as. Lehmann is decidedly average, the reason Arsenal have the best defensive record in the league is because they have Toure and Campbell in the centre of defense and they have both been awesome this season. With a top class keeper Arsenal may well have only conceded in the single figures this season.

Frey is far better than any of Arsenal's keepers, it's not even debatable, Frey is on the verge of being world class, a move to Arsenal would likely mean the French number 1 jersey which would elevate him up into the top bracket. IMO he's one of the top3 keepers in Italy(with Buffon and Toldo) and would be the best in the premiership(whereas Lehmann is barely in the top 10).

Sign Frey, sell Shaaban and Lehmann, and keep Taylor and Stack as back up.

Just to note, Casillas is class, he's living up to all the hype

#25 ·
I disagree Lehman is average,on crosses i wouldn't take another keeper in the EPL above him,and seeing as most teams in the EPL this is their only method of attack,it works just fine ;)

Kolo has been rock solid,Sol has been his usual,Cygan has even looked unflappable in games,a lot of it is down to Lehmann who takes full responsibility for every high ball bar none.

and he makes me laugh :cool:

also he made Ruud van Missedtwopensagainst Jens :D run like the little bitch he is ;)

G
#26 ·
I'd take Kirkland, Niemi, Robinson or Schwarzer over Jens on crosses. Jens comes and misses a lot of them. Can't really think of too many teams who rely on crosses as their main weapon to be honest, maybe Leicester and one or two others, but most teams take the central route now.

Cygan has just adjusted to the pace and physical side of the game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.