Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumour has it that AC Milan patron Silvio Berlusconi was so disgusted with his side's capitulation against Manchester United last night that he rose at half time and switched off his television.

Given that this is the man who made so much political capital out of the Rossoneri's previous successes, this seems - if true - to be something of a dereliction of duty.

But in fact it's nothing new. This season Silvio Berlusconi has presided over the destruction of what was once a proud AC Milan side.

A 4-0 loss is always hard to take, but when it's against a side who were very recently bested 3-0 at San Siro in 2007, the humiliation is even greater. Milan were absolutely and completely outclassed by United. The second half, which Berlusconi apparently opted not to view, was arguably even worse than the first, for the Red Devils were able to keep on racking up the goals despite the fact that they were already comfortably in the next round. By any measure, this was an utterly disastrous result for Milan.

Yet it's one that didn't come as a huge surprise to anyone. United, after their close-fought but ultimately deserved 3-2 win at San Siro, were massively odds-on to progress, and they were also considered likely to grab that early goal through Wayne Rooney. (Both came to pass.)

Sorry - allow me to rephrase. Apparently it came as a surprise to Berlusconi and his right-hand man, Adriano Galliani. After weeks of conspicuous absence from the sporting press - political crises meant that Silvio was more apt to be found in the white paper rather than the pink one - Berlusconi was reported as having said that Milan's problem was that they were not being permitted to play well.

"Milan are a great team..but only if they allow the players to play properly," he informed his dinner guests, according to AGI.

This was hastily denied, but if one listens to coach Leonardo - the apparent target of this attack - one hears that all is not well behind the scenes: the Brazilian reacted with admirable stoicism to this alleged announcement, rather than cravenly apologising for his president.

Leonardo deserves nothing but praise for this. Inexperienced he may well be, but the former wing man has done an admirable job this season with very little by way of resources. His squad lacks depth: it has just two central defenders worthy of the Champions League, with the likes of Daniele Bonera (yes, he's still at Milan) nowhere near good enough to fill the void. Massimo Oddo, meanwhile, is both injured and low in morale, meaning that the dreadful Ignazio Abate is in place. The normal deputy, Gianluca Zambrotta, is little better on current form.

The midfield is talented, but old - all the lip-service paid by Galliani to the development of youth at Milan has conspicuously failed to come to fruition. And up front? Ronaldinho had a superb first leg but what was effectively a 'swap' between Kaka and Ronnie has unquestionably shown Milan to be a spent force in the transfer market.

Indeed, to look at the Milan squad is to see nothing but faded glory. Leonardo is doing a fine job with what he has, while Berlusconi pretends to the public - and possibly himself - that this current band of players are anything other than cannon fodder for the other large clubs. Of course United are weakened compared to last season, but in Wayne Rooney they have a forward greater than Pato, and in their midfield they have an unspectacular set of individuals but an absolutely fearsome combination.

Now, with that said, Leonardo set out his side in a ludicrously ambitious form last night, and showed no small measure of naive idealism in doing so. This was not a good showing from the coach. Yet for Berlusconi to lay the blame firmly at the door of the tactician is absurdly short-sighted, given the paucity of talent and energy he has to play with.

Yet that's all of a piece with Berlusconi, a man who - like any good politician (and that he most certainly is) - will take the credit for the good and point the finger for the bad. The idea of responsibility, in its true sense, is completely alien to him. Whether it's accusing communist rabble-rousers of preventing his side from registering for the Lazio region elections or making snide comments towards his coach, there's always someone else at fault.

This is, as I say, the hallmark of a great politician, but not of a great leader. To identify problems and to act on them is what a man at the helm should do. At Milan, we instead see institutional denial of the lack of investment, the lack of direction, and the lack of pride that currently plagues the Rossoneri.

It's all the more galling when one considers that Galliani was wheeled out not long after 'Leonardo-gate' to in fact state that the coach's appointment was a masterstroke and that anyone who questioned Berlusconi's appointment had been shown to be wrong. This is a definite case of having the presidential cake and eating it too, yet it's with this that Milan fans must contend.

Doublethink and denial in the face of an increasingly desolate reality is order of the day at San Siro. Leonardo is good, yet ungood. The Milan team is great, yet it's losing 4-0 at Old Trafford. Truly Berlusconi, the consummate politician, has taken Milan to their logical conclusion of being a politician's club. And for the fans, players, and Leonardo, that's nothing but bad news.

With Berlusconi showing no intention of selling, despite fan protests, what will become of this legendary club in the next few years?

- Goal.com
AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi may have landed himself in hot water after making what many Rossoneri fans will probably see as an inappropriate joke following their disastrous Champions League exit last night.

According to Gazzetta, he joked, "The other day a Milan fan told me, 'I am crying for Milan' I replied, ‘Yes, I’m crying too but I’m also the one putting up the money.'"

While the comments were seemingly off-the-cuff, some Milan fans failed to see the funny side of the Rossoneri's recent demise and reports suggest a portion of the Diavoli faithful are becoming increasingly frustrated with their current president.

Berlusconi also failed to endure himself to Milan fans when he admitted today that he turned off his side’s match against Manchester United last night at half-time.

It’s been a pretty depressing 24 hours or so for the Italian prime minister who has also been heavily criticised for having a journalist removed from a press conference yesterday.

- Goal.com
Those are just a few articles i've been reading about this.

BERLU SELL PLEASE!!
We need a leader that can give us money and listen to what the coach wants...not a Berlu!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have denounced him so long ago.
I retained the slight hope for a while, but this season he's REALLY fvcking me off!! :frustrat::mad:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Its funny too.. he is still acting like a tight-wad, and his earnings last year made him worth 9 billion euro. 2.5 billion more then last year.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How strong are the Muammar Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi rumours? :moan:

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
That 4-0 trashing is a good thing that ever happened. Together with a 4-0 trashing by inter.

We will see if he will wake up with his thinking that the 2007 CL heroes still can compete against the best in Europe.

For the rest of you who still think the old woods still deserve to be in the squad, I rest my case :mad::frustrat::scream::groan:

no matter what, Forza Milan!

·
1st Tier Poster
49,699 Posts
EPL>>>>>>>>La Liga>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bundesliga>>Serie A

we're so far behind of EPL teams and Barca and it's gonna take a while to catch up...even if we are taken over by somebody competent and ambitious

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Its funny too.. he is still acting like a tight-wad, and his earnings last year made him worth 9 billion euro. 2.5 billion more then last year.
It's not that so much as it is Berlu is the ruler of Italy and has to worry about what it looks like when he personaly funds massive transfers when the world is in a financial down turn. It's politics. Otherwise i think Berlu would be throwing more $chee$e around

·
1st Tier Poster
49,699 Posts
It's not that so much as it is Berlu is the ruler of Italy and has to worry about what it looks like when he personaly funds massive transfers when the world is in a financial down turn. It's politics. Otherwise i think Berlu would be throwing more $chee$e around
that's a bullshit argument, he's already hated by most people anyway and is just as much of an incompetent joke as a politician as he is as a club owner. Spending wealth on football transfers wouldn't change anything, his political reputation is already pretty much as tarnished as it could be.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
You guys are really spoiled. Maybe you should remember where you were before him.

Oh wait.. most of you became fans probably after the success he brought to this club. :neutral:

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
You guys are really spoiled. Maybe you should remember where you were before him.

Oh wait.. most of you became fans probably after the success he brought to this club. :neutral:
Yes we are spoiled and yes we did became fans after the success he brought and no we don't care. Gonna open a thread about it?

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
It's not like he bought Milan out of the goodness of his heart. It was nothing more than a political move. That's all fine and good, but if he now feels that looking after the club no longer plays to his political aspirations, he should just sell the thing to someone who gives a shit.

Look at the transfer policy over the past few years. Milan's become the Oakland Raiders of Serie A, relying mostly on the rejects and burned out veterans of other teams. It's a dangerous policy, but the fact that's been "just good enough" and Milan have never flirted with the relegation zone or at least the middle of the table means that Berlusconi is going to keep up the farce because, hey, the next success might be just around the corner.

It doesn't help that Baghdad Bob Galliani not only covers for Berlusconi and his army of geriatrics every chance he gets but actually praises them up to delusional heights. Then again, I wonder if he actually believes half the retarded drivel he says or if he knows that most people realize it's all a bunch of bullshit but he has to say it anyway to appease Il Dunce.

What a cluster****.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Berlusconi loves Milan. He has always operated for the good of the team. And none of you knows better than him football. Even the latest Mercato politics might not be the most popular move, but it is one of the smartest. In a few years we'll have a team full of youngsters, plus some world class players.
Remember: you cant win always, but you can always fight to win.

·
Registered
43,402 Posts
Denouncing Silvio is the least wisest thing a Milan fan can do.

Keep your composure guys.

You are talking about a guy who has made Milan what it is right now. A guy who has built time and again teams who went to UCL finals and won them. We have had low moments before. There were times Silvio was investing even less than the last few years. We have had bad times. And we, Milan, Silvio and fans, have always came back and won IT!

There is no reason to believe it will not happen again. Zero!

Keep the faith!

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
whats the point of denouncing him when you would un-denounce when you get the scudetto... (rather, if you lot managed to get the scudetto)

there was no talk like this when Leo had been winning league games. Its Believing Costs Nothing.... when things dont do well.. it is Berlus' fault :googly:

Someone just got to take the blame huh.

Hunters!

(look at mufc, win/lose/draw, they are consistent with Love Utd / Hate Glazers.)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Denouncing Silvio is the least wisest thing a Milan fan can do.
so not true. please take off your berlu glasses and confront yourself with reality. it might hurt at the beginning as you seem to have been in the matrix for much too long.

berlusconi has inofficially abandoned milan a long time ago, it would only be logical to if he now steps aside officially.

We had a great time with him but he intenionally crashes the car into the wall for some time now season after season.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts