Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought an away goal counted for 2 goals, which means that the score of the quarter final return leg between liverpool and bayer is really 4-4, and hence liverpool qualifies since they won the first leg. Or does a goal count as 2 only in the event of an overall tie (both legs counted). Could someone clarifies this for me please ?????

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Okay. The Away Goals Counts for Double rule comes in in the case of a tie at the end of the 2 legs (at 90 minutes each). It does not apply to the results of the individual games itself. That means that if Bayer wins 2-1, it DOES NOT mean that the score if Bayer 2-2 Liverpool. It means what it is: Bayer 2-1 Liverpool.

So, last nite, if Bayer 3-2 is the final result, the aggregate score will be Bayer 3-3 Liverpool. Liverpool, by virtue of scoring 2 goals in Bay Arena compared to Bayer's 0 goals at Anfield will send Liverpool through, since they score more away goals than Bayer.

In fact, the whole phrase of "Away Goals Counts for Double" can be misleading.

I hope I answered your queries.

paw;)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Exactly!!

My friend asked me the same question last night.. saying if it ended 4-2.. doesn't that mean Liverpool won 5-4 on aggregate??!!

The away goal is worth 2 goals phrase is misleading.. I prefer saying that Team A won cuz they scored more goals away than the other team did.. that in fact IS the away goal rule!! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts