Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a rotten season, what a shame.

8th in a 10-teams - league, with no chances to climb up in the table, and even if there was a chance - who cares about 7th place?

Shameful displays week in, week out, and I just won´t stand for it anymore without asking whether or not the coach has his stake in this desastrous situation as well.

Is Matthäus still the right guy? Or is he just helplessly being let down by crappy players?

I don´t care what´s real anymore :mad:

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Come on, it's quite obvious. Rapids squad at the start of the season would have explained an 8th place, but now??

Rapid has no team to compete for the championship, but normally place 4 or 5 shouldn't be a problem with this squad. Matthäus is a joke as a coach and he's on the way to ruin Rapid for a longer period.

Honestly: Does Rapid have the resources or/AND the courage to fire Matthäus??

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bregenz´ squad isn´t better than Rapid´s. Kärnten´s isn´t. Salzburg´s isn´t. Ried´s isn´t. Admira´s isn´t. I´m not even sure about FAK´s, but let´s not re-open that can of worms again ;)

I´m not demanding an UCL spot, but some decent performances from time to time just don´t satisfy me. I mean, losing 6-1 to an utterly average team filled with unexperienced youngsters isn´t exactly what I expect from my team. I haven´t seen the match (thank God!), but can very wel imagine how clueless the team played, and it´s up to the coach to avoid such performances.

Otherwise, I could just as well coach the team, so it´s the right time to start evaluating the coaches´ performances at Vienna so far.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Actually I think Kärnten's squad is better, and ours of course;), but the rest is correct. How long will Matthäus' contract run?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Isn't there some kind of Option to get rid of him after the season?
And if there is, can anybody think of a single reason not to use it?

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I don't think there are any reasons. Just think about money. I'm sure there are thousands of coaches who wouldn't be worse, but would cost a fraction of Matthäus' wages...

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Viola said:

Honestly: Does Rapid have the resources or/AND the courage to fire Matthäus??
Well that is the big question isn't it??? Matthaeus is the sort of guy who would probably file a lawsuit for unfair dismissal against Rapid if he were to get fired (although i did see and article where he basically stated that things were not looking good for him)

Rapid's only highlight under Lothar's management was the 5-1 UEFA cup win against Partizan Belgrade and to be honest, Serbian club football is a shadow of what is was :sigh:

Perhaps lothar should go back to the Metrostars, right Quentin :D

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
We won't forget the Gericom money here. No Loddar, no Gericom money. And that's about it.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
...which gives a free "coach"......... otherwise another coach would have to be paid......even Pfeffer.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Slaughtered by SV Salzburg, who aren´t exactly one of the strongest sides either. :eek:

Personally, I don´t see Matthäus staying for the next season.
I mean, the worst result ever in Rapid-history, NO coach can (should) survive that.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
It's only the worst result in recent history.
There's been for example a 6-0 derby win on 11th October 1969. And I remember SCR lost some games 0-5 as well... (not only derbies...)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Matthäus´ last dance?

Rapid coach Lothar Matthäus is widely considered to leave the club after today´s meaningless match between SKR and Admira Mödling.

There´s a meeting scheduled for after the match between Matthäus himself and the Rapid management, lead by president Edlinger, and it is supposed that Matthäus and Rapid will be parting their ways.

Matthäus would get another € 400.00.- as premium.

Possible succesors are said to be Zizo Kranjcar, Didi Constantini and Josef Hickersberger.

Personal opinion: I was never a big fan of coach dismissals, but obviously Mathäus and Rapid just don´t fit. If he´ll leave, then I am for Kranjcar, a SKR legend and a proven coach. Maybe he´d even take his son Niko with him, who is said to be a big talent.

I´m not sure about Constantini (has already been everywhere without having success) and Hickersberger (too far away from the Bundesliga).

That said, if Rapid and Matthäus decide to give it yet another try, I´m not totally against it either, but I demand a better season 2002/03 - with or without Matthäus.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Quentin, you're not the only who's angry, I guess.

The match against Admira in the mighty Happel oval was attended by very few fans - in the radio the number of 1500 was mentioned... :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts