Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BUDAPEST, May 4 (Reuters)(DS) - Hungary will cut the number of teams in its top division and divide it into two groups in a radical attempt to revive the ailing championship next season. From the 2000/2001 season only 16 teams will compete in the first division, compared to the current 17, the Hungarian
Football Association decided at a board meeting on Thursday. The top division will be made up of the top 14 teams from the current first division and two promoted clubs from the 20-team second division.
The teams will be divided into two groups of eight who will play each other home and away.
The top six teams from each group will qualify for the second part of the championship. Teams will carry forward points awarded for their finishing position - the winner of group A gets 12 points, the runner-up 10, the third-place team eight points and so on. The 12 teams then play against each other home and away to
arrive at the championship-winning side.

What do you guys think, is this a genious plan or just plain stupid??

I think it's a dope idea, reminds me of NHL playoff style. I hope is suceeds..
I think it's not going to work

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
there are alot of circumstances in different leagues....it might be good for some, but not all because of many reasons...it might be bad for business or the game itself or just the rivalries...whatever the reasons are, hungary was desperate to make a change to help its desperate league in a better way...i dont recommend it to any league, but each league has its own rules and style...if they decide to do it one way, then its fine with me.

·
International
8,545 Posts
We have a similar set up in the Croatian league, it seemed good at the beginning, but now it seems we're going to move away from that set up. But who knows, it could work better for you guys. :)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I have heard that Romania also brings down the # of teams as does Bulgaria. In my country we will have play offs also and I think it is better because once you separate the teams that would compete for the title no **** small teams would sell matches and the championship would be more interesting since no one can beat Levski on our stadium.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup you are right Romania is going to have 16 teams next year instead of 18. 2 get relegated, and another 2 can also get relegated if they don't meet a certain amount of points.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts