Xtratime Community banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
56,604 Posts
Not that well-versed in their origin but I don't think there is any consensus as of now.
consensus is, what language do they speak. who cares what their ancestors may have done 1000 or 2000 years ago, or what dna they may have (especially with our regions the most mixed clusterfuck of all) when culture and the way people tick is defined by their language.

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,897 Posts
what do they think they are and what do you think they are and what are they?
Many seem to think they’re purely Hungarian, no?

I can’t say I know for sure, but there is on the one hand the forced magyarization towards Evul Mediu between the 17th and 19 centuries of the Romanian population living on the territory today pseudo sicle (Harghita and Covasna were the borders of the AH Empire, therefore this is where Magyar settlers were sent). And on the other hand, their real ethnic origin before becoming Romanian over the centuries is very complex: were they Turks, Alani from Mordovia? What is certain is that they probably never wondered why there had the crescent on their ‘independence’ flag.

Again, nothing against them as a human beings, as you said yourself, or even further, is that all of the Balkans as a whole a complex region with shared history .. but it’s just a curiosity of mine. Maybe I’m wrong

·
Registered
56,604 Posts
Yeah for sure I get that some people got screwed, I don’t care about them having autonomy but asking for complete political independence is over the top at this point imo. I think it wouldn’t help them much either as they rely on the Romanian govt gas electricity etc more than they realize and would become an enclave, plus full independence could cause even more tensions among people.

Autonomy gives them all they really need without fcking themselves or the Romanian state & economy, let alone their own.

And true lol, it’d be kinda funny if CFR, Sepsi, and CAO Oradea (just bought by Tiriac in Liga IV) became European teams in the league lol. Sepsi seem to have the most identity though
I don‘t think any Székler ever talked about full independence.

Csíkszereda/Miercurea Ciuc is the next upcoming club btw, even more authentic than Sepsi.

btw, did you know that Oradea/Nagyvárad was hungarian foci champion in 1944, as the first ever club outside Budapest?

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,897 Posts
consensus is, what language do they speak. who cares what their ancestors may have done 1000 or 2000 years ago, or what dna they may have (especially with our regions the most mixed clusterfuck of all) when culture and the way people tick is defined by their language.
Fair, I guess it comes down to that in the end. like Hadnagy vs Adrian Rus , the latter who says he feels he’s Romanian “suta la suta,” and that his mother cried when he was called up to the senior NT (tears of joy/pride, I think )

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,897 Posts
I don‘t think any Székler ever talked about full independence.

Csíkszereda/Miercurea Ciuc is the next upcoming club btw, even more authentic than Sepsi.

btw, did you know that Oradea/Nagyvárad was hungarian foci champion in 1944, as the first ever club outside Budapest?
I think heard that, and also the only club to win the league in two different states, I think, right? Amazing story, especially if they come to the top again after all those years aha

Ill tell you what I rate Ciuc’s beer

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,897 Posts
Ah ofc, USSR trumps again lol

·
Gyula
2,659 Posts
Many seem to think they’re purely Hungarian, no?

I can’t say I know for sure, but there is on the one hand the forced magyarization towards Evul Mediu between the 17th and 19 centuries of the Romanian population living on the territory today pseudo sicle (Harghita and Covasna were the borders of the AH Empire, therefore this is where Magyar settlers were sent). And on the other hand, their real ethnic origin before becoming Romanian over the centuries is very complex: were they Turks, Alani from Mordovia? What is certain is that they probably never wondered why there had the crescent on their ‘independence’ flag.

Again, nothing against them as a human beings, as you said yourself, or even further, is that all of the Balkans as a whole a complex region with shared history .. but it’s just a curiosity of mine. Maybe I’m wrong
The crescent moon does make an appearance on many Islamic flags but that doesn't mean it can't make an appearance outside of the Islamosphere completely independently of such influences. After all the moon (and the sun) are free for all to observe and be used as symbols. Also if you do some research into the crescent moon and star iconography in Islamic cultures, you'll see that it predates Islam by thousands of years. In fact it first makes an appearance, based on archaeological findings, in the ancient Sumerian culture going back as far as 4,500 bc. That's 6,500 years ago.

Also don't forget, the crescent moon makes 3 appearances on Romania's coat of arms, what could it possibly suggest? ;)

In any case this has lead some nutcases to connect Hungarians to the ancient Sumerians, whereas it's more than likely that the iconography was passed to Magyar tribes via the Persians or Khazars who themselves probably picked it up from the cultures that predated theirs. That's just a theory though. It could be they chose to revere the sun and the moon on their own. After all we know that many similar nomadic cultures had shamanistic beliefs that revered the sky and the wind. The dominant colour on the Szekely flag is light blue after all which could be a reference to the vast open sky of the steppe, and of course the sun and moon do make frequent appearances on that skyscape. In fact it's somewhat reminiscent of Kazakhstan's flag...a people that also hail from nomadic steppe cultures.

But it is true, it's hard to determine the true origin of the Szekelys. Highly doubtful they have anything to do with the Huns, and even if they did, what does that have to do with the Magyars who arrived nearly 500 years later? The connection, if any, escapes me.

At the end of the day, I think it's pointless to try to find clear answers. I agree with Szov, what matters is what people speak today and how they identify today and how to handle this going forward? In a united EU, things like this will slowly matters less and less but it will take time.

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,897 Posts
@Árpád_

Fair enough man, was just curious, I don't know as much as I would like to about it all. And yep

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
They also try to claim Marco Polo aka Marko Pilic.
LOL! Marko Pilic. Love it. I still remember every Jugoslav claiming Tomislav Selic (aka Magnum PI aka Tom Selleck) was a Croat/Serb/Slovenian based on the film 'High Road to China'.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
The crescent moon does make an appearance on many Islamic flags but that doesn't mean it can't make an appearance outside of the Islamosphere completely independently of such influences. After all the moon (and the sun) are free for all to observe and be used as symbols. Also if you do some research into the crescent moon and star iconography in Islamic cultures, you'll see that it predates Islam by thousands of years. In fact it first makes an appearance, based on archaeological findings, in the ancient Sumerian culture going back as far as 4,500 bc. That's 6,500 years ago.

Also don't forget, the crescent moon makes 3 appearances on Romania's coat of arms, what could it possibly suggest? ;)

In any case this has lead some nutcases to connect Hungarians to the ancient Sumerians, whereas it's more than likely that the iconography was passed to Magyar tribes via the Persians or Khazars who themselves probably picked it up from the cultures that predated theirs. That's just a theory though. It could be they chose to revere the sun and the moon on their own. After all we know that many similar nomadic cultures had shamanistic beliefs that revered the sky and the wind. The dominant colour on the Szekely flag is light blue after all which could be a reference to the vast open sky of the steppe, and of course the sun and moon do make frequent appearances on that skyscape. In fact it's somewhat reminiscent of Kazakhstan's flag...a people that also hail from nomadic steppe cultures.

But it is true, it's hard to determine the true origin of the Szekelys. Highly doubtful they have anything to do with the Huns, and even if they did, what does that have to do with the Magyars who arrived nearly 500 years later? The connection, if any, escapes me.

At the end of the day, I think it's pointless to try to find clear answers. I agree with Szov, what matters is what people speak today and how they identify today and how to handle this going forward? In a united EU, things like this will slowly matters less and less but it will take time.
#ThePad

Re: "how they identify today"

Not sure I've ever disagreed with you, Arpad, but this sounds like you've opened up to neo-liberal, identity transsexual apologetics.

·
Gyula
2,659 Posts
#ThePad

Re: "how they identify today"

Not sure I've ever disagreed with you, Arpad, but this sounds like you've opened up to neo-liberal, identity transsexual apologetics.
Well it wouldn't be the first time Hungary alllied itself with insane extremists (nazis) just to get some of their land back.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
(Hope everyone knows I don't post/reply with bad intent or indignity. But sometimes...being on a third bottle of wine can cloud my judgement.)

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Bro, this isn't World Football Forum this is WWE.
Understood. I know we're not as fragile or suffer from crippling low self-esteem as others on this forum; only wanted to be certain after reading some of my responses.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts