Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that Huachipato have something very similar to the Steelmark in their logo...

Is Talcahuano or the surrounding area known for steel production or is there another reason for the similarity? :)

Maybe someone at Huachipato was a Pittsburgh Steelers fan? :D

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
You're a clever Gringo ... Its amazing when americans that know NOTHING about soccer and they see the Huachipato insignia, the Pittsburgh Steelers come to mind immediately ...

The Huachipato Area of Chile is known for the steel mills (Possibly owned by American Partners) and obviously in the past (Im not so sure of their involvement now with the Sports Society....) the Steel Mills with their workers helped finance the Team, therefore the Logo...

:cool:

Something VERY much along the same lines with Cobreloa and Cobresal...the 2 Northern teams representing the copper mine workers of Chile and their sourrounding areas ...

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the clarification. Also, I did not think of it before you mentioned it, but the link between copper and Cobreloa and Cobresal makes sense, because cobre is Spanish for copper, no? :)

Sal is salt, so I guess Cobresal is 'copper salt,' or am I translating too literally? :D

·
94,480 Posts
Huachipato's fans are known as the "steelers" :D
Steel=Acero thus the Huchipato fans are known as "Los Acereros" which in the NFL is the name of the Team for Pittsburg .... The Steel Town .. :cap:

·
94,480 Posts
Also in Wikipedia:

HUACHIPATO

Full name Club Deportivo Huachipato
Nickname(s) Los de la usina, acereros
Founded June 7, 1947
Ground: Las Higueras/Fig Trees
Talcahuano, Chile
(Capacity 10,000)
Chairman Arturo Aguayo Ríos
Manager Fernando Vergara
League Liga Chilena de Fútbol: Primera División
2007 Apertura 4th - Qualified to Pre-Copa Sudamericana

·
94,480 Posts
Also in 1st Div Professional Futbol in Chile ...

Palestino :Team Representing the Arab based Chilenos

Audax Italiano : The Italians

Union Española : The Spaniards

Santiago Morning : The Bus Entrepreneours/Drivers

:cap:

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...and I used to think that O'Higgins was founded by a bunch of Irish guys. But then I looked it up and realized the club was named after Bernardo O'Higgins. :)

I'm still not sure where Santiago Wanderers are going, though. :D ;)

·
94,480 Posts
Easy......The british sailors would get off in Chiles main Port..Valparaiso...they brought in the new game to the people of the port...Many of the locals embraced the game and since Valparaiso and Viña del Mar in the warm months was ALWAYS (Still is) flocked by the Santiaguinos (The Capital of Chile people) ... hence the british helped name the Valparaiso team Santiago Wanderers ... The santiaguinos wandering around by the seaside port and resorts ...

Of course Everton...the Team up the road 15-20 mls from the port city was named after the british team by a bunch of english also in the same area..

Viña del Mar has a fantastic horse race track..just about 2 miles from the Everton stadium...You wanna laugh at the name of the venue ??

Valparaiso Sporting Club...known to the locals plainly as the Sporting .....

The British influence all over the pacific coast of Chile... :cap:

Lota Schwager...I believe in 2nd or ever 3rd Division now..Another southern Team with a funky foreign name ..

·
94,480 Posts
Everton de Viña del Mar, is a Chilean football club based in the city of Viña del Mar. The club was founded June 24, 1909 (named after Everton F.C. of England) and plays in the first division of the Primera División. Their home games are played at the Estadio Sausalito, which has a capacity of approximately 23,000 seats.

The "Ruleteros" (rouletters) nickname comes from Viña del Mar's status as a gambling resort.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool story about Santiago Wanderers. I love reading about how the names of some of these clubs - even how the clubs themselves - originated. :thumbsup:

I looked up Lota Schwager some time ago and recall it originated from the merger between Federico Schwager and a team with Lota in its name. I suppose the former was named after the mining investor. Funny thing is that Schwager means brother in law in German, and so I always have to think "a lot of brother in law" when I see Lota Schwager. Guess I'm goofy like that. :D

·
94,480 Posts
BTW Huachipato had been playing very well lately, but they lost last nite ...

·
I Need More Cowbell!
7,047 Posts
Speaking of foreign club names, what about Rangers (Talca)? and Green Cross de Temuco? And whatever happened to the likes of Santiago Nationals and Ferro-Badmington, eh?

·
94,480 Posts
Newells in Rosario Arg ????? Sports Boys in Lima ... The british pastered the Americas !!! :cap:

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Strongest :strong:

Although I'm sure they didn't come up with Deportivo Wanka. :D

·
94,480 Posts
The Chilean Steelers...have a brand new wonderful stadium getting ready for opening day...In the same style as those inagurated a couple of months back for the Womens WC in the Long and Stringy country of S Amerca ....

1 - 20 of 289 Posts