Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again.

A lack lustre effort by our vatreni against Mexico, sent shockwaves through Croatia and this very forum. Some of us lost it, some were angry but most were dissapointed at heart. We played badly and without heart. We tried to forget it ahead of the clash with Italy. All we asked for, was 110% effort, and the restoration of pride into the vatreni.

Enter Olic, Rapaic and a new look Croatia who not only restored pride and honour, but pulled off yet another historic result. I could not have been happier.

Now we need to get down to business, Ecuador is out, we need a 2 goal victory to seal a place in the 1/8 finals. Can we do it?

·
Banned
22,345 Posts
Just win baby!

My nightmare scenario before yesterday's AMAZING game.

We beat Italy, only to blow it vs Ecuador.

We need to be 100% ready. Ecuador is no joke.

However, they are eliminated now so maybe they play care-free which could be good or bad for us. Also though, maybe they play some youngsters since they are out. This might help us out.

I hope we can pull it out.

We need to win. And if Mexico can grab a tie, it's gonnzo for Italia. IMagine that, up to yesterday in the 70th minute, Italy were favoured by some to win the WC, now they are fighting for their lives like we did yesterday!

Life's a bee-atch, ain't it?;) :D

·
©
7,230 Posts
First of all Oluja change that signature please!!:smileani:

I think we can do it. Obviously Equador couldn't get the result we were after with Mexico so now we will see what this Croatian team is made of. Equador will be looking to restore some lost pride which is dangerous for us because they have nothing to lose. Their defence looks like abit of a weakness though which hopefully we can exploit without conceding ourselves. Something tells me we won't see the same defensive Equador as the last two games they played. We shouldn't underestimate this team and say that because we beat Italy this should be easy because I doubt it will turn out like that.

Hopefully we will see the same play and the same volja as against Italy becaue we will need it.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
It all depends on how focused they are. They responded well enough after the Mexico game. They are closing in on a spot in the 2nd round, they have to have that killer instinct.

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's what I'm afraid of !!

On the other hand, the Vatreni have had a bad experience, and we've grown from it. It's a must, and we're excellent when our backs are to the wall.

Jozic will have to play the offensive formation again, maybe Olic will start, or maybe come on in the last 45. Vugrinec played well and deserves another start.

I wouldn't change the squad too much, we'll see if Zivkovic plays after serving his time.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
The fact remians we stll failed to make 10 consecutive passes

we really need to step up another gear instead of shift down

otherwise the victory vs italia was a waste

Lav

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
My thoughts exactly. I think we played well but could still play much better. More domination regarding combination passing and swithces in the midfield will tear gaps in the Ecuadorian defence.

Better running off the ball on the flanks would help too. That's why I say let Stanic loose, he's been waiting long enough.

I can see this team smelling blood and finishing off the job in stylish fashion. After a tough few days after Mexico my optimism is back in full stride.

Boka's ready and Pleti and the Defenders were solid even vs. Mexico.

Rapa and Vugrinec will punish them if they give us any free kicks around the box.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Totally agree with Ljubuski:get Stanic in at the expense of Saric.This way we will have better attacking options down the right hand side.We will be needing a good goal difference since the chances of this group finishing with 3 teams tied at the top are quite likely.

William Hill odds:
Mexico(7.5)Italy(1.44)
Ecuador(4.5)Croatia(1.53)

·
International
8,545 Posts
Ecuador isn't elminated yet, they can still progress with a win against us and an Italian loss, but it depends on the scores and such.

For it to happen, they'd probably need to beat us by 3 goals at least and if they try for it, they'll be exposed at the back.

As far as the game goes, I wouldn't change a thing. I thought everybody played well and will probably play better against Ecuador. We scored twice and had a handful of great chances against Italy so our offence is not a problem.

Stanic looked hungover when he came on against Mexico. As soon as he stepped on the pitch, he started walking and he even dribbled the ball out of bounds once upon. He was never a good dribbler but that's just ridiculous. I see no room for him in the team at this point.

The only change I would consider making is putting in Olic for Vugrinec.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Olic 4 Boksic

I would say,Olic for Boksic!
Why?
Boksic played two games so far and created just one thing,a chance for Rapaic when Miki was a step late to put it away.
Why I would leave Vugrinec on the team?
Because he's creating game and on top of everything,he can run!
Instead of Soldo maybe Vranjes can start.
Time for youngsters to prove themselves and this is the best time to do so!
Against Ecuador,Vugrinec and Rapajic will play great and Olic will be there to put whatever they give him,away!

majstor is back

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
blah, we need boksic... olic can come in later... he is great young player, but I would preffer boksic anytime...vranjes could start instead of soldo and stanic could instead of saric, but game vs Italy was good... no reason to make changes

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
he was great... I would rather have him start instead of Olic, cause Vugrinec can pass as well... Olic is strictly a striker

·
Banned
22,345 Posts
My take

I go with the same line-up that started vs Italy.

We then brng on Vranjes, Olic and maybe Stanic. I am not convinced on Saric though...

·
International
8,545 Posts
Yeah the same line up is probably best, since we played so well and should've scored more, there's no reason to tinker with it. Nobody had a bad game.

I would still prefer Vugrinec to Olic, what I meant is that it was the only thing I would consider changing, but only consider.

I thnk Vuga had a good game but he's capable of doing more and I think he will against Ecuador.

About Saric, I don't rate him much either but he played very well. When you consider the alternatives, Zivkovic is a possibility but Stanic just isn't the Stanic of old and did nothing to even try and win a starting spot.

Like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Anyone see Zivkovic in the starting line-up? Also, maybe I'm a pessimist, but is anyone else worried that Jozic will field a defensive line-up against Ecuador since they are not as strong as Italy or Mexico? Or is he gonna go all out and try to get a bunch of quick goals?

·
International
8,545 Posts
I think he'll go with the same thing. We have to win and if we could do well against the Italian defence, we're bound to do better against the Ecuadorian defence.

As far as our defence goes, Ecuador isn't as good as Italy in offence so we should be okay. As long as they keep their concentration at the back, there's no reason to field a more defensive line up.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Yeah I was surprised to see that. When Ciro was criticizing Jozic after the game, although warranted, I think he was doing it for himself more than for the team.

But this time around he praised Jozic and he really had no choice but to do it. Jozic made the changes that were necessary and he certainly deserves much praise for a great game!

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Well...Jozic proved that he isn't a stubborn old mule set in his ways. He knew he had to make changes and he did. Good for him......

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.