Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may have been a testimonial friendly match with the proceeds going to good causes but as far as Glasgow Celtic were concerned the charity stopped there. They absolutely ripped a Leeds side which had very few players missing (Viduka and Fowler apart).

They are quickly making a name for themselves in these fixtures following on from there performances against Man Utd last season.

And it makes your mouth water at the thought of these games being a weekly occurence.

After the cup final Martin O'Neil came in for a bit of criticism for his decision to gamble on Paul Lambert while Colin Healy sat in the stand and the young midfielder who has been at Coventry on loan added fuel to the fire with a majestic and energetic performance. It's fair to say he was probably thinking of **** McCarthy who had earlier in the day ended the youngsters world cup dream when he was omitted from the final squad for Japan & South Korea.

As for the players who looked tired on Saturday many of the guys overlooked for the cup final took it upon themselves to show O'Neill what he had missed with good performances from Guppy and Sylla. In the aftermath of the Scottish cup final I suggested that Scotlands best player had just had a stinker but some Celtic fan friends suggested that Craig Moore had been outstanding. That opinion gained credence tonight as Larsson made a prize buffoon out of Ferdinand on several occassions drifting into space at will and scoring with a fine header to put the 'tic 2-1 up.

I almost didn't watch the game and am so glad I did and if the Arsenal game is to be screened I will be glued make no mistake.

It would be unfair to end without special praise for the Celtic youngsters (regular readers of the Scottish forums will know I have been saying the deserve more games) who looked excellent especially Jamie Smith.

·
Registered
897 Posts
do you think O'Neill will play the youngsters next season in meaningful games?

I didnt see them last night but when they played Hearts a couple of weeks ago they looked at if they could play a bit of football instead of the 'rugby-style' of the first team on occassion ;)

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Further info regarding the Colin Healy situation, the Evening Times reported that Celtic had recalled the player with the final in mind but did not realise that the rules stated the player would have to have been available to be registered to play in the Semi finals.

I only got a quick glance while paying for petrol [tight git] so If someone knows more let us know.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
What a class game, and beleive it or not I was rooting for the scum(The green & white mob not the all white scum) ;)

Great goals by Thompson & Hartson...nearly as good as Barry's free-kick ;)

Seriously though.......don't hammer Arsenal on Monday Celts.....be gentle....they'll crap themselves and vote us out!

'Bring on the Arsenal' I like it. Beat them and that will make Rangers Champions of Britain as we beat 'tic in last OF game.......well on the playground at least :(

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yea a great result from Celtic. I'm not (and nvr will be) a Hoops fan, but they made me proud last nite. It was another 'Battle of Britain' and Scotland came out on top. By a mile. They tore leeds apart, and convinced me they could compete in the Premiership. They have battled it out with Man Utd and Leeds, two of the best, and won on both occasions. I reckon they could WIN the league within 2-3 years.

Rangers on the other hand, could only hope for Uefa at the very best. Dont get me wrong, im far more a Gers fan the a Bhoy, but i cant see Rangers beating any of the top 8, and could only struggle against the rest.

the only question is weather Celtic could hack it every week. yes they ave beat two of the best, but could they do that 38 times a year?

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I agree Celtic would do better than Rangers to begin with, O'Neill has Prem experience...HOWEVER

Thompson
Hartson
Sutton

3 of Celtic's most influencial players ALL mediocre performers in Prem.

Granted Hartson scored a few but he never played well IMO.

Glad Larsson got another goal. I know many English people and I'm fed up of hearing them say Larsson couldn't cut it in the Prem. Better than RVN IMHO.(Still a diving cheat tho)

Come on Sweden!

·
Registered
897 Posts
i think its hard to look too much into friendly results as a predictor of form in a 'real game'

Scottish teams tend to try harder against English opposition, to 'prove' themselves to the media and English fans who dont respect the game in Scotland....there is not the same motivation for English teams

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
i dont see how sutton is in the mediocre list! he was a :star: player! he had 1 bad season, and that isnt fair to judge, as he hardly got a chance, barely played any games.

i think as soon as the OF got into nationwide, they would each spend about 20 mill on :star: players as many players would like the idea of being in glasgow, but in a competetive league. we would have more of a pull of players than liverpool. its like vialli wanting to play in london, he didnt care about the club, its the big city thing, and glasgow only comes second to london in terms of nitelife and stuff.

a agree with you chelsea on the point about larsson, the english love to say hes not good enough cos they couldnt get their greasy hands on him! :D

as far as competetiveness goes, you dont want to be embarrassed by getting humped 4-1 on your own soil! and the giggs testimonial wasnt much of a friendly, especially they way that spoiled brat beckham played! was watching it again the other day, one of the best games ive ever seen.

Give it 5 years in england, and we'll turn it into a 4 horse race! with ARSEnscum and man u

1 - 9 of 9 Posts