Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Very bad

Votes: 4 21.1%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some say the nest ever, others contest the worst.

How do Croatian eyes see it?

(forget about our 2 dismal perfomances ;) )

·
©
7,230 Posts
Bad things:

-The lack of atmosphere in the stadiums and the empty seats. Some because of ticketing problems some not.

-The top teams players being ruined by club seasons and coming into the event tired.

-Alot of teams playing a similar style of game which was boring at times.

-Either it was the ball or the players, but long range shots were going 20 metres wide sometimes.

-The referees and linesmans.

-The Italians with their conspiracy theories and then later on with the Perugia president etc etc.

-No real superstar players standing out like in other tournaments.

Good things:

-Smaller footballing nations doing well and the general evening out of world football. This just about makes up for all the bad things.:)

-Germany making the final.

-Turkey and Korea after the 3rd place game. That was good stuff.

-The most important positive thing that came out of the WC is I and all the other Aussies got to watch it in primetime.:)

I will add more if I forgot anything.

Overall it was an ok world cup and will be remembered for Korea making it so far and for all the upsets and big teams going out early.

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
I didnt like this world cup too much but in the end it had a better last game than France 98 did that was so fake in my eyes! At least this time the team that could score the most goals throughout the tournament won. Congrats to Brasil! sorry for Germany and for Croatia?:depress: emberrasment BUT WE MUST BE BACK AND WE WILL anything else would be UNNACCEPTABLE BY OUR STANDARDS.

and the fact that its coming back to Europe next time in 2006 should make it a hell of a lot better!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
the good the bad and the ugly

Apart from my utter joy in the iTaly game and complete despair after Mexico and Ecuador....I was glad to see at the end the best team Brazil won.

Brazil played with flair and in the the three "R'"s, had the best trio in the tourney by far...congrats to Brazil.

The disgrace were the Itlaians and Portugese with a complete lack of class ,and all the crap about "conspiracy theories". I couldn't have asked for more that the Itlalians were eliminated. They made me sick. And their "negative" tactics deservedly sent them home early...

No team can say they could compare to Brazil in this tourney-including unfortunely us. They were just too good and I am glad the Germans didn't steal the game.
I have to say, it's a pleasure to watch Brazil play. They play how we all wish we could play. Plain and simle.

Hopefully we'll see them in Germany.

Also, I have to say it was an amzing moment when Cafu stood on the podium and raised the trophy. I guess it sunk in what a feeling that must have been. I thought, imagine if that was me, hoisting it for Croatia. Oh my God, that would be amazing...(I am getting a little veklempt..so I better go...)..

Well done Brasil on the penta!

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
I think one word can sum it up for me and that is mediocre :D I also agree with Zagabria in that the World Cup should always be played in Europe as the World Cup really belongs in Europe ;)

Some of the positives like the smaller nations making impressions have been outlined already and it was nice to see unfancied playing nations such as Senegal and Turkey performing well and achieving remarkable results.

The one thing that will stand out for me the lasting image if u like will be the tremendous friendship displayed by Turkey and South Korea at the end of their match which truly symbolises what the WC is all about :) Also Ronaldinho's free kick and the dubious controversial referring decisions that cost Spain :mad: i will also remember and of course who can ever forget Ahn's golden goal :D

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
It wasn't the best WC but you won't ever hear me complain about watching soccer every day for a month.

I'm looking forward to EC and to a much better Croatian performance.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
I voted bad because of the refs.

It was not as good as 98 or 90 (barring the final).

Also a shame that (disclaimer: in my opinion) the best three teams didn't make the 1/4.

Italy, Portugal and the best team in the world before the tourney, Argentina.

I cannot fathom how a team (Argentina) with so many brilliant players could not advance.

Well here comes qualifications and world I'll inform ye now of our next captain. His name is Igor and he's gonna be pissed!!!!

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Personally I thought it was an excellent World Cup. Why?? Well, the quality of play was entertaining and that is just what you want from a football tournament such as this one.

I thought it was a great thing as well that the smaller nations had their time to shine. The Koreans, Turks, Americans, Senegalese, etc. came to play and play they did. In the end though what was very ironic was that two of footballs superpowers who were pretty much counted out when the WC began played in the finals....

There was a lot to remember about this Cup...it was great to see the "big" teams wither and then think of every excuse in the book as to why they didn't advance. Unfortunatly not one of them was blaming themselves rather the blame was put squarly on a "Consipracy." Well...next time come to play and don't think that any country will be a walk over....

What I didn't like was just that:

1. "Consipracy" theories as to why the big boys didn't advance. Especially from Portugal and Italy. I wish all teams were like the French and Argentines who admitted they didn't come to play.

2. The Refs...they could have been better. If the quality of refereeing was like what we saw in the Final, FIFA could have a better WC.

3. YELLOW CARDS...is it me, or do they have to modify that yellow card rule. What is a yellow card to one ref, may not be to another ref...I also hate the fact that players miss games because of the yellow card rule. Weather it would have made a difference or not, how much better would Germany have been had Ballak played in the finals?? Unfortunatly we would never know. Considering how the Brazilian backs played, maybe hoe could have gotten off some quality shots that could have went in...

·
Registered
150 Posts
it was bad it was just missing something i guess it was too far from the rest of the world that many fans couldn't make it to create better atmosphere, the referee's were shocking, and overall standard of the game was boring no exciting games even England-Argentina was boring

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
The one thing I liked in a way was the early morning games. I though it was great that you could walk down the street to work, look into a pub, and see a game live at 8 am...it was cool..or getting up early and watch the 5 am game and still have time to get to work...or even the 2:30 games were great as well...watch them and still have a few hours of sleep time....there was kind of a comraderie built with the "late night soccer."

The one thing is that considering how far it was, many of the fans really couldn't come out to watch. usually a big German contingent comes to watch their NT play, but not this year...England was pretty much the only ones that brought a lot of fans.

I think the Japanese fans and the Korean fans were great when their NT played but were quiet or just didn't show up for the other games. But, I thought it was great to see a sea of red for the Korea games...

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
The calm before the storm.....

Don't worry JureM.

The European fans will flock to Deutschland to make football sound the way it's supposed to.

Is there a better place to host the Cup than in the very heart of Europe?

This will be a well organized event with great stadia and filled with great football.

The Orange will be there as will the Azzuri and Les Bleus and the Tartan Army and the Bhoys in Green. Not to mention quite a few checkered fans as well.

It will be glorious.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
For some reason I didn't have feeling that was a world cup.
It just missed some atmosphere,moves,superplayers etc.
Turkey surprised me and congratulations to them.
Hopefully,never again in Asia!

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Yes it will Ljubo...

Majstor, I will agree with you on that. What lacked in this World Cup was some of those specatular one time blasts from 30 meters that land in the upper corner....very true on that point.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm sure it's come to some of your attention, but the short form of World Cup is WC- which is also the international acronym for toilet...

Anyway, this WC showed that there are no longer clear favourites for the title. Many of the favoured clubs failed to show their good form from qualifying onto the big stage. Perhaps it is too many games played by the big stars, perhaps it was the heat and humidity. At the end of the day no one can control the weather. However, fatigue due to matches played is something that Fifa, Uefa et al should look at in a WC year.

Does this explain why the Vatreni flickered but for one game? let's just hope that the flame has not been extinguished...

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Yeah but Bili...things like what you mentioned was the same for all teams. It's not like, for example, when the US played Portugal, that the US players had nice cool weather on their half of the pitch while the Portugese guys had hot and humid weather on theirs. Every team had to endure the same elements.

Also, when it came to many games played, the Brazilian and German players also played just as many games as say the italian and Argentinian and French players yet why is it that htey were able to overcome that while the others didn't. I think it is the fact that Brazil and Germany did not take their opponents lightly and came to play while maybe the French thought they would pass to the next round with no problem.

I think the moral of this WC is you should never underestimate your opponent.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
JureM said:
Yeah but Bili...things like what you mentioned was the same for all teams. It's not like, for example, when the US played Portugal, that the US players had nice cool weather on their half of the pitch while the Portugese guys had hot and humid weather on theirs. Every team had to endure the same elements.

Also, when it came to many games played, the Brazilian and German players also played just as many games as say the italian and Argentinian and French players yet why is it that htey were able to overcome that while the others didn't. I think it is the fact that Brazil and Germany did not take their opponents lightly and came to play while maybe the French thought they would pass to the next round with no problem.

I think the moral of this WC is you should never underestimate your opponent.
Agree,but this WC is ****e...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts