Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You cant doubt that Mourinho is a good manager - his record to date speaks for itself - but how would he fare in serie a? He has stated that he would like to manage a team in serie a so its very likely he will end up there at some stage. So my question is would he be a success and would be able to mix it with the likes of Capello, company and hold his own?

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Mourinho could hold his own in Serie A, he sets his teams up from the back and its more results than style for him.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Hoseman said:
You cant doubt that Mourinho is a good manager - his record to date speaks for itself - but how would he fare in serie a? He has stated that he would like to manage a team in serie a so its very likely he will end up there at some stage. So my question is would he be a success and would be able to mix it with the likes of Capello, company and hold his own?
He should try Inter...

Anyway, I find it more interesting how big managers would fare with a team with no resources. He managed to "jump ship" from Porto before they lost his winning squad, like Capello he is one to build his succes with great players more than trough his great tactics. That does not say he could succed with that too, we just don't know.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
JKris said:
He should try Inter...

Anyway, I find it more interesting how big managers would fare with a team with no resources. He managed to "jump ship" from Porto before they lost his winning squad, like Capello he is one to build his succes with great players more than trough his great tactics. That does not say he could succed with that too, we just don't know.
He made Porto's players big. Who was Ricardo Carvalho, Paulo Ferreira and Maniche before Mourinho? Porto always had great players for Portuguese league standards, but seeing how some of them did outside of Portugal (Jardel, Capucho, Vitor Baia) and compare to how Mourinho's players are doing now he must have had some kind of impact in their development. Additionally, to see mediocre players like Vitor Baia, McCarthy, Costinha and Manuel Costa perform THAT good means the manager is onto something.

I'm not familiar with Porto's inner policies so I don't know if he picked them himself... but winning CL with Porto, man, that is definitely success with great tactics and not due to a good squad of players.

·
Banned
2,221 Posts
Mourinho would cope very well in Sere A, I've watched his progress since he arrived at Benfica... I think he's tactically a better coach than Ancelotti, but Carlo knows how to manage egos...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Mourinho's Chelsea always play very simple short passing football with lots of runnung off the ball to out number opponents quickly.
He'd do extremely well in Seria A if he'd be able to implement his way of football.

·
Registered
156 Posts
mourinho is the best coach on the planet at the moment.he won the uefa cup with porto,he won the champions league with porto and all on a shoe string budget ,compared to what real madrid and barcelona and milan and united spend what mourinho did was phenomenol,yes he was lucky against united at old trafford with porto,but thats football.could ferguson ,wenger and cappello had the same success at porto working with the budget mourinho had ?i dont think so.mourinho would succeed anywhere.in his first year at the premiership he is on the verge of winning the league for chelsea ,and not just because of money.

·
1st Tier Poster
50,228 Posts
He has a very good tactical understanding of the game, so he probably would do well in Italy. His preferred style of play is actually quite similar to the tactics used in Serie A, especially Milan's formation during Ancelotti's era.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having a similar style means he may find it harder to be a success unless he inherits an outstanding team or one with a lot of potential. Theres no doubt his teams are very organised but playing against other similar teams may cancel out this advantage.

Hes having a very good season in the EPL but it will be interesting to see how he gets on next season which will provide a better indication of how good he really is.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Do you think he might well leave Chelsea after winning the league? I'm sure Roman is paying him a lot of money but knowing this man he would do well to seek a brand new challenge in another league (Serie A, La Liga?)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
If Ancelotti can win the Scudetto.... Mourinho can do anything in Serie A. The guy is simply brilliant... and he would probably even teach Italians how to defend, showing what a great defense and team block he has build in Chelsea.:)

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Great Outdoors said:
Do you think he might well leave Chelsea after winning the league? I'm sure Roman is paying him a lot of money but knowing this man he would do well to seek a brand new challenge in another league (Serie A, La Liga?)
Not after one season he won't. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the Portugal job after the World Cup if it becomes available. Surely he wouldn't resist the temptation to lead his country to glory, his ego wouldn't allow it.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
khimik said:
Not after one season he won't. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the Portugal job after the World Cup if it becomes available. Surely he wouldn't resist the temptation to lead his country to glory, his ego wouldn't allow it.
I hope he will someday :frownani:

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
If Ancelotti can win the Scudetto.... Mourinho can do anything in Serie A. The guy is simply brilliant... and he would probably even teach Italians how to defend, showing what a great defense and team block he has build in Chelsea.:)

yeah but it wont be easy, he wont have a FANTASY team there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mourinho would fail abmysally and probably get knocked out by the Sicilian mafia, considering his arrogance and un-paralled ability in annoying people. ;)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Algorithmus said:
Mourinho would fail abmysally and probably get knocked out by the Sicilian mafia, considering his arrogance and un-paralled ability in annoying people. ;)
Now that's the scary part :D ...

Considering Mourinho's style, I think he can do well in Serie A. But I think the real deal is the hard-core fans in Italia :boxing: .

1 - 20 of 41 Posts