Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Trap's interview he said that Italy will not have a fixed formation. i.e he will move from 3-4-1-2 to 4-3-1-2 to 4-4-2 at any point during the game using the same players. This is the reason why he picked Di Livio over Fiore - I mean he CAN play on the left, the right, the centre and even full back if necessary.

We all know what the 3-4-1-2 formation will look like. The difference is though, that Del Piero can move from striker to play on the left wing during a match and allow Coco to play as a left back for either a 4-4-1-1 (Totti behind Vieri) or 4-4-2 (With Totti and Vieri up front). Del Piero has played on the wing for Juve and Doni can perform the same function.

Totti, Del Piero and Doni are very versatile players. I would even argue that a 4-2-3-1 formation would be ideal for the Azzuri. i.e

_____________BUFFON______________

PANUCCI___CANNA___NESTA___MALDINI

______C. ZANETTI___DI BIAGGIO______

___TOTTI_______DONI_____DEL PIERO__

______________VIERI________________

Think Real Madrid. Think Totti being the Figo, Doni being the Zidane and DP being the Raul.

Although I think Trap will not adopt this system, I have to admit I am happy about the versatility he is likely to bring into the Italian playing system.

The bottom line is that the 3-4-1-2 system can very eaily change to 3-4-2-1 (DP and Totti as playmakers), 3-4-3 (DP on left and Totti on the right with Vieri in the centre), 4-4-1-1, 4-4-2, 4-3-3.

Del Piero or Montella? Montella is a more effective goal scorer no doubt. However, Del Piero DOES have better tactical awareness and is more versatile at adapting to these different systems as well as creating chances.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Exactly Catenaccio,

i am also thinking of the same formation,

but TRAP will not go for that in earlier rounds.

and more over, these there affensive midfield will give a lot of holes, that will be easy for opponents.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts