Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are a few obstacles that the Portuguese squad will face in Korea/Japan. How will the team prepare? Will we be prepared?

1) It's very hot but mostly humid in Korea/Japan. How will the players adapt? This isn't Holland you know. That's one of the reasons why the kick off for the WC is in late May as opposed to later. Typically World Cups are played in July but not this one. But temperature will still be a huge problem, the humidity is supposed to be pretty bad.

2) Change in altitude. I don't know what the change is but I know it's there. I do believe both countries are of a much higher altitude than Western Europe. How will Portugal cope? Will they travel to Japan weeks in advance to get adjusted? Do they have the time to travel in advance.

3) The time difference. I heard it can take Europeans two weeks to get adjusted to the time difference. WHen the Portuguese travelled to Australia in the World under-20's they spend the first 48 hours sleeping. Many players were on the verge of collapse after a few games. It took Portugal 10 days to adapt to a 9 hour time difference according to Antonio Oliveira. The time difference between Portugal and Japan/Korea is 8 hours.

4) Not that this is a huge issue but...what will the players eat? A drastic change in diet can bring diarrhea, cramps, sleeplessness, etc... Sushi and Sashimi is typical Japanese fare. Figo will be fine since one of his favourites is Japanese food. This minor inconvenience can have an impact on the Portuguese players.

5) What will players do in their free time? Families are essential. Everything must be done so that the players can concentrate on the game as opposed to what their girlfriends and wives are doing back home. An emotional equilibrium is essential to the players.

6) Portuguese fan presence will be crucial. How many Portuguese will actually make it? Will we have atleast 1000? 500? 200? Euro was fantastic because the fans were there. How many Portuguese people can afford to spend a week or two in Korea/Japan? Certainly not many from Portugal. The Portuguese economy is not very strong and not many people can afford to go.

What are your thoughts?

·
International
5,629 Posts
Very good questions Fee-Go.

Here's my input.

Re: Humidity and heat...Usually those two lead to some heavy rains as well. My Suggestion for Oliveira is to have the players practive two weeks under a really, really big sprinkler system. The heat part shouldn't be so bad...but playing in mud is, at least for technical teams like Portugal.

Altitude isn't that bad...but either way, the best way to cope with it...is adjustment. That means getting there two weeks earlier then everyone else.

Time difference isn't that bad either. It's not as if they'll only get there the day before the game against the US.

I suggest the players eat some dog...might as well get the full flavor of the land. But never before game day.

As far as free time...They can always visit some cool massage parlors.

As far as fans...there will be some. But Portugal will also attract alot of the Korean fans...simply because their game is SWEET!

:)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Humidity will be the biggest obstacle. The only way to remedy that is to practice in it for as long as possible. Two weeks sound about right.

If humidity is a problem than altitude won't. The two don't go together.

Jet lag is a problem for about 48 hours only. No problem here. Ditto with time difference.

Diet - If the Portuguese can handle feijoada, I don't see how anything the Koreans can throw at them will affect them, just stay away from the blow fish.

There will be a ton of fans in korea. Book it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
3) It's not easy, but our draw was lucky in that part too cause our first game is only about one week after the WC begins, so players have some time to adjust...

4) Don't worry about that, they have a cooker and they'll eat Portuguese food (they'll take things with them from Portugal)

6) As for the fans, I don't know how many Portuguese are gonna be there but I think we can count on some support from the locals, they like us in the Oriente, and they like our NT...

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Fee-Go said:
Here are a few obstacles that the Portuguese squad will face in Korea/Japan. How will the team prepare? Will we be prepared?

1) It's very hot but mostly humid in Korea/Japan. How will the players adapt? This isn't Holland you know. That's one of the reasons why the kick off for the WC is in late May as opposed to later. Typically World Cups are played in July but not this one. But temperature will still be a huge problem, the humidity is supposed to be pretty bad.

2) Change in altitude. I don't know what the change is but I know it's there. I do believe both countries are of a much higher altitude than Western Europe. How will Portugal cope? Will they travel to Japan weeks in advance to get adjusted? Do they have the time to travel in advance.

3) The time difference. I heard it can take Europeans two weeks to get adjusted to the time difference. WHen the Portuguese travelled to Australia in the World under-20's they spend the first 48 hours sleeping. Many players were on the verge of collapse after a few games. It took Portugal 10 days to adapt to a 9 hour time difference according to Antonio Oliveira. The time difference between Portugal and Japan/Korea is 8 hours.

4) Not that this is a huge issue but...what will the players eat? A drastic change in diet can bring diarrhea, cramps, sleeplessness, etc... Sushi and Sashimi is typical Japanese fare. Figo will be fine since one of his favourites is Japanese food. This minor inconvenience can have an impact on the Portuguese players.

5) What will players do in their free time? Families are essential. Everything must be done so that the players can concentrate on the game as opposed to what their girlfriends and wives are doing back home. An emotional equilibrium is essential to the players.

6) Portuguese fan presence will be crucial. How many Portuguese will actually make it? Will we have atleast 1000? 500? 200? Euro was fantastic because the fans were there. How many Portuguese people can afford to spend a week or two in Korea/Japan? Certainly not many from Portugal. The Portuguese economy is not very strong and not many people can afford to go.

What are your thoughts?

1) They are playing the games in Korea/Japan, not Vietnam/Thailand. Therefore, the temperature will be similar to the temp. in Portugal at the same time. However, the humidity will be felt. They should also expect to play in rainy conditions.

2) Only a couple of stadia are above sea level. Altitude should not be a factor whatsoever.

3) The Portuguese season is scheduled to end earlier than normal in May. Also, as Lady Lion pointed out, Portugal plays it 1st game 6 days after the opening game. By that time, they should be acclimated.

4) No coach in his right mind would allow his team to try the local cuisine, especially in "exotic" places like Korea/Japan. I can guarantee you that they will be shipping over a month's supply of Bacalhau, Feijão, Chouriço, and Caldo Verde! ;)

5) You bring up an important point: Sex or no sex during the tournament? This is an important decision that needs to be made! ;)

6) England66 and myself will be there. If we have to represent by proxy the hopes and dreams of the Millions of Portuguese fans worldwide, so be it! :D ;)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I think they should abstain from sex, like a boxer at a prize fight, nothing like blue balls to make ya run and hit harder.:D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Game of Survivor

Diet-- this is a big factor and perhaps the biggest factor for most portuguese people

NO SARDINHAS AND PAO DE MILHO for a month. shoot with out heavy portuguese meals the NT are going to seem like theyre on the tv show SURVIVOR eating grubs and whatever they eat over there
Immunity Challenge: Uma dose de battatas assadas e bacalhau if the NT can finish first in Group D

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Vey Good Post Fee Go :) !!! Now ... Here are my thoughts :)

Question 1) It's very hot but mostly humid in Korea/Japan. How will the players adapt? This isn't Holland you know. That's one of the reasons why the kick off for the WC is in late May as opposed to later. Typically World Cups are played in July but not this one. But temperature will still be a huge problem, the humidity is supposed to be pretty bad.

Couto's Answer- I have visited the Asian regoin a number of times & one thing I will vouch for is that the Humidity is shocking !!! This may be one thing I am really worried about portugal playing at there optimum level we know they can. This Humidity will suck you dry, Water retention within the body would be a major concern because of the heat/ humidity I have noticed myself over there cause you are so hot the water / fluids you put in your body seem to sit in your stomach and leave you bloated. Now Portugal cant have that happening right after half time during a game !! Is the Use of intravenous drips allowed( to get the fluids through the body & not sitting in the stomach) ?? Cause IMO this would be the way to go.

Question 2) Change in altitude. I don't know what the change is but I know it's there. I do believe both countries are of a much higher altitude than Western Europe. How will Portugal cope? Will they travel to Japan weeks in advance to get adjusted? Do they have the time to travel in advance.

Couto's Answer - There is no great altitude diffrence. As for the Travel IMO I beleive They should travel and arrive in Korea 3 weeks in advance. 1 week just too get over Jet lag and Acclimitised to time diffrence aswell . One problem they may have a problem with aswell is breathing . Nothing to do with altitude just the air temperature. In all my visits to Asia I have always taken atleast 2-3 days to get used too breathing comfortably some people are diffrent though , it may not be a problem for the playing group. In the other 2 weeks will be the normal training thing for the group .

Question 3) The time difference. I heard it can take Europeans two weeks to get adjusted to the time difference. WHen the Portuguese travelled to Australia in the World under-20's they spend the first 48 hours sleeping. Many players were on the verge of collapse after a few games. It took Portugal 10 days to adapt to a 9 hour time difference according to Antonio Oliveira. The time difference between Portugal and Japan/Korea is 8 hours.

Couto's Answer- What a load of Hogwash !!!! It took 10 days to acclimitise !! No Offense Fee Go but this team from what I remember were more interested in Partying than winning a World cup !! They were based in Brisbane also a very humid city and there Party antics obviously were found out on the field as the heat took its toll on that particular group. 48 hours sleeping I find hard to beleive aswell. I think enough preperation wasnt done for this WC assault aswell . We lost 3/3 which really was a poor result from this particular group :fero:

Couto's Answer- IMO A "Huge Issue" . If I were Antonio Oliveira, Right now I would have the NT chefs in Korea investigating the local produce seeing if it would have an adverse affect on the players . Things such as Meat , Fish , eggs , milk , Fruit , Veges & especailly water are things that have to come under the microscope !! Food is one thing you do not F*ck around with in Korea / Asia . Personally if I was an elite athlete I would bring all my food over no matter the cost. The Asain food is diffrent & not for everyone . This Tournament is way too big to through caution into the wind regarding food & diet. It is best to stick with food & drink the players bodies know best, the last thing we need is a food poisoning. I am sure that would not happen with NT hired chefs and Portuguese imported food

Qusetion 5) What will players do in their free time? Families are essential. Everything must be done so that the players can concentrate on the game as opposed to what their girlfriends and wives are doing back home. An emotional equilibrium is essential to the players.

Couto's Answer - In there acclimitisation week , the wives/girlfreinds/ famlies of the playing group should be allowed with them . This may help them be a happier group as they settle . Then after that week , that is 2 weeks before the WC kickoff all there thoughts directed to the NT !! a whole 20 days( keeping in mind that the NT have to wait 6 days ) to get tactics & set plays & peices correct.

Qustion 6) Portuguese fan presence will be crucial. How many Portuguese will actually make it? Will we have atleast 1000? 500? 200? Euro was fantastic because the fans were there. How many Portuguese people can afford to spend a week or two in Korea/Japan? Certainly not many from Portugal. The Portuguese economy is not very strong and not many people can afford to go.

Cotuo's Answer- Fan pesence is huge Hopefully there will be a good 10-15000 at every game !!!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Humidity is the biggie. Both Korea and Japan are extremely humid, even in June.

And as for the food, they should stay clear. Produce, meats, grains...everything is different. It has different levels of naturally occuring chemicals than does the european meats and veggies.

My wifey Christine is Cambodian and agrees with me that the players should stay away from the food. She say's it takes some time for our bodies to adjust to the food and that's not something they have time for. Last thing they need is Figo with stomach cramps or constipation before a big match!:D

·
Registered
152 Posts
definatley bring there own food,
i ate at the Mandarin and theres no way i could have played a soccer game after eating that stuff

NOOOOOOOOOO WAY

Mata um porco live off prusunto e costelletas for a month

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FpF2002 said:
i ate at the Mandarin and theres no way i could have played a soccer game after eating that stuff

NOOOOOOOOOO WAY

:D

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I just came from Thailand, and the food WAS a big problem. I couldn't get enough of it. Meat, fish and shrimp barbecuing on every corner - and all of it delicious. If they ever have the world cup there, the Portuguese will clean up fueled on that kind of food.

On a more serious note, I agree they probably should bring the type of food they are familiar with and take extra precautions to guard against montezuma's revenge. Can you imagine losing because Figo and Costa have runs of the wrong kind? ;)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Korean soul food.....

FpF2002 said:

NOOOOOOOOOO WAY

LOL:D

I think we all had that experience(MSG).

I think everything will be ok,so the food is a factor but you are allowed to bring some kind and other stuff can be found there,the humidity will be a small part of any problem its easly adjusted after they train there for a few days,I am just worried of players picking up injuries before the tournament like Petit just did for Boavista if the Selecao squad all gets there the rest wont matter they are little things the big things is preparing to face the teams in the group.I only see the time as a key problem they just got to get used to the time diference so they must arrive tehre early.;)

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Time diffrence I dont think will be a factor if we get there early . If the NT can develop a routine 2 weeks before there Kickoff and acclimitise aswell it should be OK. As for Thailand food :) !! VERY NICE ;)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'm pretty sure it rains quite a lot in Korea/Japan. They have monsoons or something like that, which can bring really heavy rain. I don't know how it is in Portugal, but in Poland it rains a lot, i mean a lot sometimes (nuttin like in England though :D ). Slippery surface can spell disaster if ur not well prepared.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Kaluzny said:
I'm pretty sure it rains quite a lot in Korea/Japan. They have monsoons or something like that, which can bring really heavy rain. I don't know how it is in Portugal, but in Poland it rains a lot, i mean a lot sometimes (nuttin like in England though :D ). Slippery surface can spell disaster if ur not well prepared.
Very True !!! BUT..................... These are all new stadiums and all have excellent drainage so there is no real threat of overly slippery surfaces besides the humidity justs sucks the field dry

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
yes, i forgot about the fact that they are new stadiums.

getting off the topic a little, i hate the fact that such beautiful, and i mean beautiful stadiums (if u have seen them) will go to such waste after the WC. I mean there are in "Korea" and "Japan". Even though they have football teams, they are not footballing nations all that money went to waste, considering i'm talking about after the WC, because they're perfect for a tourny like this. How many millions maybe billions went into these projects. After the WC, what will become of them. Like about 5,000 Koreans go to see their club play, dat's about it. Poland can't even afford half a stadium like that. I heard Portugal is saving up for a new stadium as well for Euro 2004. That's just one, imagine saving up for all the rest like Korea/Japan did. Well they do have the money so...still.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts