Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking at Sky now and this story is on it....

Villarreal have conceded they are unable to stump up the cash required to keep Juan Roman Riquelme at El Madrigal.
The Argentina international is currently on loan to the Yellow Submarines for the second successive season from Liga giants Barcelona.
The 26-year-old's services are no longer required at Camp Nou and the club are hoping to recoup much of the £7 million they paid to Boca Juniors.
Riquelme spent just one season in Barcelona before being farmed out by the Catalan giants after failing to have the desired impact.
Newcastle and Middlesbrough are keen on his services, while Tottenham are believed to have dispatched scouts to watch him during the club's 3-1 win over Athletic Bilbao.
"A number of Premiership teams are interested in Juan Roman," explained a Villarreal spokesman.
"He's happy here and we'd like to make him a permanent signing, but Barca are inviting offers from all around Europe and we can't match the cash some English clubs can put up."
So it looks like there's a very serious chance of Riquelme playing EPL football next season. To me that's interesting given the historical failures of his kind of playmaker in English football in recent years.

Is a player that plays at his speed going to cope with EPL pace? Can a team succeed in EPL if they set it up for him?

Discuss.

Certainly if he does sign it'll be the most interesting one to watch next year for me.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
I said ti before and I can say it again. If Riquelme goes to England he makes the worst career choice he would ever make. That is if his interest is his football career, I am sure he can earn a lot of money there. sure Bolton may work for him...

Riquelme is made for the Italian league, his playing style would fit awesome to the Italian game where in England he would be wasted. Son we would here talk about he is overrated and failure even if he would dominate the English teams if he met them playing for a Spanish or Italian club. Let me add that I would be sad if he goes to England as I like him as a player.

Aimar on the other hand...

·
Registered
239 Posts
He'd have a chance if he had the other 10 players sacrificing themselves for him completely and protecting him (by which I mean putting him in situations where he can play to his strengths). Otherwise - no way. Look at the long history of failures in England: Deyna, Petrovic, Veron etc.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I don't think it would be too wise for him to go to the EPL, La Liga is better and easier for his style IMO.

Also what type of teams are after him? If its some mid table team that doesn't play it on the deck or have a manager willing to build the team around him he'll probably end up being a poor man's version of Veron in whatever position. But really It depends on the team thats interested and the way they play and I really really really doubt clubs like Arsenal Man Utd or Chelsea are after Riquelme.

Basically because I rate him but I don't think he is good enough to build a top 3 EPL team around, The sacrifice wouldn't be worth it. But thats just my opinion I think he is a good talented player that should stay where he is.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the reports Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Spurs are looking at him. If he were to come here I'd like to see him at Middlesbrough I think.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
According to the reports Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Spurs are looking at him. If he were to come here I'd like to see him at Middlesbrough I think.
i'd hate to see him at Boro with Steve 'entertaining means nothing' McCuntlen :rolleyes:

let him go to Spurs, he can be their new saviour and Roman's dream may even come out in the shops sung by Chaz 'n' Dave :D, love to see Paddy up him in the Derby

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
He has to go to a club where the coach wants him. If that condition is fullfilled he's be a succes everywhere, is it isn't he will fail everywhere.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually the more I think about it the more I like the sound of him and Defoe in the same team.

I guess people like Davis and Mendes could rough up opponents trying to get to him.

·
63,337 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Actually the more I think about it the more I like the sound of him and Defoe in the same team.

I guess people like Davis and Mendes could rough up opponents trying to get to him.
Michael Brown and Carrick won't be pleased with that.

·
63,337 Posts
khimik said:
Just like you lot were going to sign all those stars before, right? :D
Riquelme is a bit less high profile than Ronaldo and Rivaldo though who they almost signed.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plus the PL is of a strength where mid table teams can attract world class players now because of the ridiculous finances.

And yeah if they did get him they'd have to ship some midfielders out. I'd make that Riquelme, Carrick, Reid, Ziegler, Davis, Davies, Brown, Taino, Mendes and Atouba!

Probably should shift Atouba and Mendes out and get one more class one.

·
63,337 Posts
yeas Spurs have somthing like 35 full time pros at the club, Jol and Arnesen have a real collection going on there.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
To go to any of those id prefer him to stay at Villareal. Hed have champions league but more importantly a manager who knows his strengths to a tee. Id be fearful of how Souness would use him and I dont think Mcclaren would fit him with the time structure and players they got. Neither striker of theres plays to his strengths. Spurs i dont know but Jol seems a good manager.

Anywho, Riquelme has stated its Villareal or Barcelona. More importantly Barcelona want him in trade for a player and with all respect none of those 3 english clubs have a player Barcelona would be interested in, unless Spurs would want to give up King which is a no go. Gonzalo is at Villareal so if money is a worry they may force a hand with him. Even so Im dubious of the article as Roig is rich and knows what he wants to built at El Madrigal. TV3, who are usually respected with Barcelona transfers also announced an interest in Joaquin. Betis have admitted losing him this summer and with Serrer Ferrer being more than keen on Riquelme he has been talked up in the deal. Personally id count these destinations above the premiership.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I think that it's going to be difficult to see him in England, unless a club pays a ridicule amount of money. I think that Barça wants to trade him for another player, as Maz said.

Anyway, sticked to the question, Riquelme would do great in England... if he plays in a team that wants to play football, in a team that likes to have the ball. If anyone expect him to run like an idiot behind the ball or jumping 1000 times to head long balls that come from the CB, forget it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If a good club buy him, he should thank Forlan. The only reason people are talking about him is because Forlan is carrying the team. Unfortunately for Forlan blind people like you guys are claiming he is the one who is doing wonders. Same thing happened last season with Ronaldinho and Davids. Look at how poor Ronaldinho is the season.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
papa said:
If a good club buy him, he should thank Forlan. The only reason people are talking about him is because Forlan is carrying the team. Unfortunately for Forlan blind people like you guys are claiming he is the one who is doing wonders. Same thing happened last season with Ronaldinho and Davids. Look at how poor Ronaldinho is the season.
Calcio please

Your like season 16 of the Simpsons. Nobody cares anymore :depress:

·
63,337 Posts
Koeman4 said:
I think that it's going to be difficult to see him in England, unless a club pays a ridicule amount of money. I think that Barça wants to trade him for another player, as Maz said.

Anyway, sticked to the question, Riquelme would do great in England... if he plays in a team that wants to play football, in a team that likes to have the ball. If anyone expect him to run like an idiot behind the ball or jumping 1000 times to head long balls that come from the CB, forget it.
perhaps Allardyce wil come him and play him in Kevin Davies position, does Riquelme know how to back into the CBs well ? :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts