Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how you guys rate the Samp coach Walter Novellino,I've always rated him highly seeing the work he's done at other clubs.I see it as no real surprise how his fruits are coming through at Sampdoria.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
LOL

Hard worker, he is a talent

If he went to a top club maybe the next Capello

·
Registered
47,018 Posts
Novellino is a great coach, he believes in the work and is very meticulous. He is like a sergeant instructor and pretends the players to do exactly what he wants. This seems to work very well above with the modest players, with whom Novellino made miracles.
He sticks to 4-4-2 and hardly renounce to it. For sure he never renounces to the 4-men-defense.
Till now he has never failed (!!). In serie B he has always gained the promotion, while in serie A he never got relegated. Sampdoria are the best chance he had till now but I'm certain that he will soon join a club with more important targets.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Novellino: "I have a project with Sampdoria and I don't intend to leave that project."

·
Registered
47,018 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
Novellino: "I have a project with Sampdoria and I don't intend to leave that project."
Sooner or later he will leave. I think he will stay with us two more seasons... at the most.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Yes, I agree. I think if you don't make the CL this year, then give him 1 more year to get it, then 1 year to try Europe. If you do make CL this year, then expect him to leave after a European endeavor.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
You can't knock his record. He does seem a little inflexible tactically,and I wonder if this would hold him back at a bigger club.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
It'd certainly be interested to see him handle a big club with big names, loads of fixtures, and lots of pressure.

His record so far is immaculate, I can barely think of a better one, and he certainly doesn't allow anyone to get too big to his boots, the team is what's important (reminds me a bit of Mourinho..).

I also think that he'll leave in a few years for a 'big' club, good luck to him if he does as he deserves a chance to win some silverware.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Sincerly I'd like to see Novellino not only at the leadership of my team,but also at the leadership of my state or of my land.

:tongue:

He's a great man,intelligent,always correct.

The results talk for him.
He's doing a miracle,the math showes that we reached Uefa even if we have still some matches to play,with thhese players another coach now would be in the relegating battle.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Faisal said:
Novellino is a legend, end of story.
not yet, remember how EVERYONE was praising Del Neri with his time at Chievo and then he couldn't handle the 'personalities' at big clubs like Porto and Roma. so Walter has got something to prove yet.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Anyone who defends Recoba every two seconds is a legend to me, thats what I meant by legend.

Im not saying he is up with the Wengers or Capellos of the world.

·
Registered
47,018 Posts
gogol said:
not yet, remember how EVERYONE was praising Del Neri with his time at Chievo and then he couldn't handle the 'personalities' at big clubs like Porto and Roma. so Walter has got something to prove yet.
Of course he has.

I would not say that Del Neri was not able to handle "personalities", I would say that he was not able to handle the team as a whole. The "personalities" of Roma are in the attack, while the greatest problem of Roma has been the defense. And that with players of enormous qualities if compared to our Sacchetti, Pavan and Carrozzieri, serie B (if not serie C...) material.
Sampdoria had lots of clean sheets during this season, and some with one or even two of these players on the pitch!

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Del Neri was good with Roma. Our form before he was here and now after hes left has shown this. Maybe he didnt make us great, but we arent destined for that this year, he at least got some consistentcy in the team and also 7th place in the table.

Novellino is a very stable manager. One that clubs like Samp could do with. Though it is sure that Novellino one day will want to be with a top 3 club.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I don't think anyone could have done a job at Roma this year. Every manager they had was undermined by the players, who behaved like children, and the club as a whole, who never backed any of them. One can always wander about Prandelli, but it would have been the same for him: Cassano would still have gone on about how Prandelli was not like Capello (to which, the most obvious reply should have been: 'no shit, sherlock'), Totti would have still gone on about how he can't play for a Rometta (which we have now seen he can, because he is) and Mexes would still be the crap player he is.

·
Registered
867 Posts
He would be the perfect heir to Capello at Juventus, but he needs experience, lets say 2 years more, to be ready for the job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts