Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next year FR will use the same system (when he had two strikers available never used them together). So, a 4-3-3 system with hopefully better players. IMO there are three things that have to improve in this team:

1.Crosses from wide players. Of the wide players of this team, full backs and the two wide strikers (Luis Garcia, Ronaldinho), only the full backs play in their natural postions to provide crosses with their strong foot. And either Reiziger or Gabri are very average at putting crosses in. A right back who can cross and pass would be a bonus for this team.

2.Height of players. The defense is alright but midfield and attacking players are way too short.

3. Goal contribution from midfielders. Cocu is a very good scoring midifelder but plays way too deep to get into goalscoring positions (still has managed to score some). Davids never scores, and Xavi although improving slightly doesn't manage to score enough goals. Most of our goals since the VG era come almost exclusively from strikers and that is a handicap.

These three weakness are the reason why we struggle to score against sides that defend deep when crosses and shots from outside the box are the best tactics to use against such defenses.

The question as always is how to improve some areas without losing out too much in other areas

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, you're absolutely right.

Xavi's poor scoring record is somewhat of a problem when he plays as a playmaker like now. Especially since Luis Garcia doesn't bang many in either. The solution to this would be to bring in Giuly next season on the right wing IMO.

That brings us to the next issue; height of players. :D Bringing Giuly in certainly won't fix this problem, however a strong centre-forward like Luis Fabiano or Trez could certainly solve this and give us some more attacking alternatives. Cocu is essential in this part as well, as Xavi and Davids sucks in heading. Ronnie is pretty good in that area of the game however.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think when buying new players, what we should pay more attention to their goalscoring statistics and their number of assists per season. Personally I'm a bit dissapointed by Gio....in fact I've expected much more from a guy who can drive the ball in such manner, but I do like his corners. Anyway, all those three points mentioned by you Angel would defenitely lead to an improvement....but it's just not that easy to get such good players. There are a lot of averagely players on the market, but the real ones (Joninho or Nedved) do cost a fortune. Let's see what Laporta is willing to spend during the summer break.

One of the best performances I've seen this year from a full back was from Depor's Manuel Pablo against Milan. "Luque" has the hight you're asking for, although I'm under the impression, he lacks some tactical knowledge but mabe that's just imagination? hmm, I wished Pandiani was 13 years younger and a Barca-B player :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
With the system Rijkaard uses, we can't expect lots of goals from midfield. Xavi, Cocu and Davids are all defensive midfielders (Xavi used to be one ;) ) and it isn't their job to score. Davids adds steel in midfield, Xavi opens things up and Cocu protects the back four. Unless we change the system, we have to rely on our 3 forwards for the goals.

If we increase the quality of our attack by signing world class players, then there's a chance that our midfield trio might play a little more offensively, but it's too early to think about that.

About the lack of height in our attack: Again, it depends on how we play. If we want to play across the pitch, then height doesn't really matter. Look at Real Madrid, for example (it's an excellent example, although I hate to use them :yuck: ). When was the last time you saw a headed goal from a Figo/Zidane cross?

I think our team would be more suited to a more "passing across the pitch" game, but we could do with a little more strength in our attack (Luis García and Saviola are the main culprits).

I think what we lack is 3 attackers of Ronaldinho's calibre. Saviola needs time and Luis García will never be world class. I think that's the main reason we are targeting Trezeguet and Luque. But are they the kind of players we need?

But I think Luis García and Saviola are doing pretty well in a defensive system. We'll have to see what happens in the summer.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barça_Fan said:
With the system Rijkaard uses, we can't expect lots of goals from midfield. Xavi, Cocu and Davids are all defensive midfielders (Xavi used to be one ;) ) and it isn't their job to score. Davids adds steel in midfield, Xavi opens things up and Cocu protects the back four. Unless we change the system, we have to rely on our 3 forwards for the goals.

If we increase the quality of our attack by signing world class players, then there's a chance that our midfield trio might play a little more offensively, but it's too early to think about that.

Yes, it is true that none of those midfielders can be considered advanced midifielders but at least the "wide" ones, Xavi and Davids, try to get into more attacking positions, but we know that Davids can't score score at all and Xavi gets close but seldom scores too. Maybe Iniesta is the answer for the future (a younger Cocu instead of Davids could have been wonderful like in the VG era).

Barça_Fan said:

About the lack of height in our attack: Again, it depends on how we play. If we want to play across the pitch, then height doesn't really matter. Look at Real Madrid, for example (it's an excellent example, although I hate to use them :yuck: ). When was the last time you saw a headed goal from a Figo/Zidane cross?

Yes to a certain extent. When the opposition pack the box with players there are very few chances of gettting into goalscoring positions just passing the ball. You mention RM as an example but they do score goals from crosses too. Raul (Not this year) although not that big can score from headers and Ronaldo has scored a few too. Just with decent crosses (and they have players to provide them) with a bit of size and the right positioning you can get those type of goals. But with Luis Garcia and Saviola going for those high balls looks a bit ridiculous. And this is the main reason why we struggle against extremely defensive sides.

Barça_Fan said:

I think what we lack is 3 attackers of Ronaldinho's calibre. Saviola needs time and Luis García will never be world class. I think that's the main reason we are targeting Trezeguet and Luque. But are they the kind of players we need?

But I think Luis García and Saviola are doing pretty well in a defensive system. We'll have to see what happens in the summer.
Yes, that is true. I agree that Luque can add up to this squad and not break the style of the team. He is left footed so he can easily play...on the right side :D like Luis Garcia. He is faster, much taller and more skilful (I can't imagin Luis Garia doing to Cafu what Luque did at Riazor). I definitely can see why they are going for this player. The only minus would be that Luque is much weaker defender than Luis Garcia.

On the issue of the "center forward" although Trezeguet would give size and goalscoring ability I wonder if that is the right move because Trezeguet is a static center forward that can only contribute insed the box when the team is in possesion. Perhaps a player like Torres would be much more in the mould of what this team may need. He is tall, very quick and technically adept to contribute in many aspects of the game. Is he the improved version of Saviola for this system. Would he get us as many goals as Saviola is producing now? One thing is for sure, with Torres and Luque we would reach a new height....at least physically :D.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Angel_Culé said:
The only minus would be that Luque is much weaker defender than Luis Garcia.

Playing Puyol in his natural postion would take care of the problem. Agree with everything else you wrote.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If we look at today's Barcelona, we can say that it is a fairly balanced team. It has a solid defence and a good offense.

The key for this great moment Barca is living runs through the balance of the team. Any future signing should contribute to this balance. We see teams like Milan with a very solid defense and an offense made up of worldclass players (Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Kaka, Pirlo), same as Arsenal (Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Lundberg). The rest of the team is composed of VERY defensive midfielders with offensive proyection.

If Barca made a solid midfield and have worldclass players upfront, the balance will be kept. To improve this team would be to add attacking power. If I was Barca, I'd invest on attacking. Any great player to sub Luis Garcia is needed since most of us agree this is the weakest position besides the striker.

Saviola is doing a wonderful job upfront, but it is clear that he's not the ideal striker for Barca. No disrespect for el Pibito, I love this guy and admire his determination. He always gives 110%. But the truth is that he lacks certain attributes that would greatly contribute to more scoring chances and goals.

I'm not going to give any more striker names since they probably have been mentioned already. What I AM going to say is that these 2 important players should possess, besides worldclass talent and be great in their position, ONE SAME THING... they should be ready give it all for Barca on the pitch. They should believe in the team and sweat the colors every day of thier lives. They should work for the team and for it's greater good. I ask for nothing more.

Of course this is IF we keep the current formation next year, since this is the one the suits TODAY'S Barca best. Who knows if we'll play with wingers next year....

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
what if Saviola was played as a winger, going in for Luis Garcia, then all you need is a strong and fast striker and maybe a better right back to replace VB

There is not much to change I guess, unless of course Davids is out next season

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
What I would change is:

Bringing in a world class forward, and dropping a defender at home so we can team this guy up with Saviola. I don't think we need the extra solid defence at home when we're doing the attacking. Away from home the current system works well for solid defence and swift counter attacking.

After that, I'd only bring in guys who could come in and improve what we have in their position.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Centre back and an Attacker would help Barcelona Greatly.
But if you think about it Barcelona are playing fantastic now, the football there playing is tremendous, they have found a team that gels well together if it stays like this to the death then maybe they could win La Liga but i think we should'nt really be talking about them changing and swaping the team around or bringing in new faces just yet because there playing the best football in La Liga they have done all year round.
Every team can Improve but if you over do it you may lose the form you had before and cant get back to it, so if they stay like this and work on little areas of there game where they have cracks then i cant see why they wont become number 1 again.
Barcelona have great character thats what i like about them, they are my favourite spanish team just because they never give up and most teams have difficulty in bringing up the team morale on such a bad run but not barcelona they have something special and they must keep it.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
LUIS FABIANNO - ST
DECO - AM/MF
LUCIO - CB

:star: :star: :star:

All 3 great players...VERY CHEAP to get!!!

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Dagoods said:
LUIS FABIANNO - ST
DECO - AM/MF
LUCIO - CB

:star: :star: :star:

All 3 great players...VERY CHEAP to get!!!
Luis Fabiano - Agreed.

Deco - why? Ronaldinho is an AM.

Lucio - We can't afford a non-EU defender anyway.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
Deco - why? Ronaldinho is an AM.
R. Gaucho on the left and Deco on the right!!!

WOW what a combo!!!

Lucio - We can't afford a non-EU defender anyway??? Why not?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
All I'd really like to see is a striker to play in tandem with Saviola. He's too small to play as a centre forward IMO, and should be used as a satelite striker, playing off a big target man, drifting into space looking for the layoff, losing his marker. He has the quickness and guile for this IMO. I would love to see Adriano at Barca, but I douut this would happen.

·
Registered
167 Posts
vandeper said:
All I'd really like to see is a striker to play in tandem with Saviola. He's too small to play as a centre forward IMO, and should be used as a satelite striker, playing off a big target man, drifting into space looking for the layoff, losing his marker. He has the quickness and guile for this IMO. I would love to see Adriano at Barca, but I douut this would happen.
Yes, I must say that I am quite fond of this idea myself. Lets think for a moment: We get a striker like Luis Fabiano and use Saviola as his partner with nr.10 Ronnie in the hole behind. I feel that if we get another central defender and another good offensive right back, we would be even better!

This would certainly give us another attacking option up front; heading ability. Another benefit of this tactic is that we wouldn't be solely dependant on Ronnie and Saviola to score our goals. The big striker would replace our right winger (Garcia).

What we then should think about, is that Saviola would move alot in the attack, alot like he does now, so he would also contribute on the right flank. And then Xavi would play as a playmaker like he does now, but would also be drifting into the right where there is space. He is such a clever player, and he would operate pretty much like Ronnie does now.

But what I see as a very important factor in a tactic like this, would be that our right-back contribute more in the offense. A Cafu-kind of right back. Like Van Bronckhorst on our left side. I feel that with such a strong defensive we have now, with Davids and Cocu in our midfield, we can allow ourself to be abit more offensive. And if we get another great central defender to partner Puyol, we would be excellent. A player like Jaap Stam. Reiziger doesn't have the skills to be such an offensive right back though. So a player needs to fill his shoes here. I don't know that many good offensive right-backs but a player like Van Bronckhorst for the right side would be great.

A formation like this:

---------------------------Valdes------------------------
New RB--------------Puyol-----New CD--------Van Bronck.
---|----------------------------------------------------|----
---|-----------------Cocu-------Davids-----------------|---
---V-------------Xavi-------------------------Ronnie---V---

------------------Saviola---------Luis Fabiano------------

Against the strongest teams on away ground, we could perhaps replace Saviola with a Luis Garcia/Iniesta, but I think a standard tactic like this could be very good. Saviola and Xavi both have the capacity and the intelligence to support the right side in a great way, and on the left it would be like we are playing now. Our defensive line-up with Cocu, Davids, Puyol and another CD would mean we wouldn't be so vulnerable to counter-attacks. Stam or perhaps Carvalho from Porto would do great. We also have our own Oleguer of course, which can step in and do a great job when needed.

A bunch of players need to be sold of course, incl. Marquez if we get Luis Fabiano. Rustu, LE, Overmars, Riquelme, Kluivert and perhaps Gerard should be off-loaded as well. I see Sergio Garcia as our ultimate substitute for Saviola's support striker position. With this formation we would also have good attacking alternatives in Luis Garcia and Iniesta who can step in if we need to play a formation like we do now, and Quaresma is another attacking alternative if we don't loan him out.

I see many opportunities for our next season, and this is a good alternative for us I think. We get three players in ( a nr. 9, a good offensive right-back and a great central defender) and we sign Davids and VB permanently. VB should be cheap. And we off-load about 6-7 players, incl. Riquelme and Marquez. Gabri, Reiziger and Oleguer give us depth in our defence.

What do you think? Is it a :thumbsup: or a :thumbdwn: ?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
What do you think? Is it a :thumbsup: or a :thumbdwn ?
:thumbsup:.

Trabisli of Ajax could well be that right back, he is free also!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I heard you talking about a fullback with a good cross, great footballing skills. I think Hatem Trabelsi is one of the best footballing rightbacks in the world today. He is strong on and off the ball and is a tough tackler when necessary. I am an Ajaxfan but also Barca fan, and allthough I would be sad to see him leave Amsterdam, the time has come seeming as he has been getting on everyone's nerves by constantly expressing his desire to play for a bigger club. He shouldn't cost too much, maybe a sloppy 8/9 million euros. The only problem I see is that he's Tunesian, so an non-EU player.
No, Im not trying to lose all these Ajax players but if you want a scoring midfielder, Rafael van der Vaart is your man allthough this season his form has not been what it used to be.
You should also remember that Giovanni van Bronckhorst is still property of Arsenal so Barca would also have to buy him probably.
The about the other striker, if you're gonna get one, why not move for 17-year old Diego of Internacional for the future and Didier Drogba for now, I'm pretty sure he'll be less expensive then most the strikers that have been mentioned and he has surely been in greater form then most of them (Trezeguet).

One question though, don't you feel that Saviola just doesn't make the cut when he's up against a solid defense and he is without a strong striker next to him.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts