Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually this was my reply to another topic in another forum, but since some people have commented that this can be a whole new topic altogether, so here it goes:
Just an observation here about the referees in Serie A, as compared to those in some other leagues.
Personally, I think, unfortunately the credibility of the referees in Serie A is more questionable as compared to, say, the Premier League. From what I see in PL, some referees may have their 'reputation' - very strict, controversial, etc. But -correct me if I'm wrong- in general there's no distinct favoritism shown by the referees towards a particular team. Not even ManUtd. Same with the Bundesliga. Well, a referee may slightly favor the home side in a game, but I guess that one is rather understandable -psychological thing 'n all.
Meanwhile, the fans of Serie A seem to accuse the referees of favoritism, instead of merely being controversial. True, may be these accusations are 100% wrong, but come to think of it, one must have observed some instances to have such suspicions - it can't just crop up from nowhere.
So, what to do? Rather than just trashing the referees, and always thinking that when the team(s) favored by a referee wins ' it's because the referee' and refusing to give any credit at all to the team -- is it actually possible for Serie A to come up with ways, methods, steps etc that will improve the refereeing quality of Serie A, and hence improve the credibility of the refs which will result in a better Serie A! Collina has a world reputation, and a good one that is. So the whole task shouldn't be impossible although indeed difficult.
What do you think?
And I hope to hear suggestions, instead of just trashing of the team(s) favored in Serie A ;)

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
The biggest problem with referees are penalty-calls. A penalty often decides a whole game. And most of the time a penalty-call goes wrong, it's because of the referee didn't see the situation properly and isn't sure about his decision. In such situation the easiest way is to favour the home team and that happens a lot.

Improvement is very easy to find to this problem. I've said it before and so has Svengo: why couldn't there be additional referees watching the penalty area? Or if not that, then two referees, both of them judging one half of the field. I've seen hundred times referees making penalty-calls when tey are 20-30 metres away. That's just ridiculous.

That won't cure the whole referee problem, but it would definitely improve the situation. Now there will be people who don't want to change that, but conservatism is not needed in this area. All that matters is that better refereeing is required. Two (or three) referees would definitely be a move to a better direction.

[This message has been edited by Kafka (edited 04-05-2000).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
What about the use of instant replay? I am sure with cameras covering every angle of play that there is no way, that if a referree had access to these images that they would be able to make a wrong call.
The only problem is that it might slow down the game to an intolerable pace. Perhaps if teams were only allowed to ask that a play be put under review one or two times a game. This is what they have done in American football and it is extremely effective.

D

·
0 Posts
I agree with the "instant replay" suggestion, and I think it is better if its combine with " the wireless communication", that connected referees with the camera sentral, so every referee have another opinion that much more accurate, and of course there is no more "diving" in soccer.

"Diving Hater"

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Listen guys I agree that its unfair sometimes and frustrating to concede a goal through wrong penalty calls..But this part gives some excitment to soccer, I mean if we add 10 refs, Cameras from every angle and the ref has the right to double check if its a pen by consulting the videos, it will be boring..
Lost of the arguments and analysis in soccer are about penalties and if its a right one or not. Like the offside rule, what happens if they use videos to judge if a player was offside or not ?? We will no more have the arguments about those incident. What about the fights that break up sometimes between the players and the refs for not seeing the offside player, isnt that sometimes exciting? With the red and yellow card flying all around ;). They can be annoying conversations for some people but that gives it more excitment and more things to argue and talk about.

NOTE: Please consider me a neutral fan (not Juventus fan) when you are reading this post only. I know some people will say I am saying that because Juve benefits most but anyways I will no spend my time explaining that this is my point of view wether it helps juve or not.

Have a nice day :)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Sorry I just blurred through your replies to this post and my addition might be out of context but here´s what I think:

1) There should be a ref behind the goal.

2) Refs should raise the bar a bit and allow for a bit more physical play ( not as it is in the PL but it´s still a contact sport.

3) Cheaters, divers and players trying to influence the refs by making stupid pleas and conversations should be carded much harder then they are today. The only player that should be allowed to have a conversation with the refs should be the capt. Of course the players can point out things to the ref but mainly shut up.

4) 9meters when freekicks are taken and yellow card to the player that even moves before the ball is hit. Totti had an excellent point when he lashed out at the refs some time ago about the freekick wall never being 9 meters away.

5) Most importantly - NO PENALTIES FOR JUVE THE NEXT SEASON :) .. kidding

There are I´m sure other details that one could argue about but I think it´s important not to make football slower. Forget about instant replays or anything like that - this is not hockey or some other lame sport. Keep a ref behind the goals, holding should render yellow cards ( Nesta will be in trouble :) ). Allow for players to intercept the ball from an opponent - this never happens in Serie A because the opponent always falls when he looses the ball - YELLOW CARD !"!!!

S

·
0 Posts
The ball is round.

The pendulum swings both ways.

Except when it's Juve.

SCOTTISHTONY

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sabry, some arguments between players MIGHT be exciting, but when it breaks out into FIGHTs, no...it's not exciting! Let's confine the excitement to the game itself, not the fights ;) And anyway, the players, the club, and the fans, none of them benefit from the fights for that would mean fines, suspension...
And yeah the improvement to refereeing should be in such a way that the game is not so slowed down - like basketball! We might have a 2.5 hr-game instead. So perhaps, things like instant replays, etc should be used after the match - to determine the degree of foul, how long a player should be suspended, etc.
But I think another referee wouldn't hurt - these days the refs consult the linesman regarding fouls,questionable goals, etc so a Secondary referee should be a good idea. And by secondary, I mean that this referee should just assist the referee-in-charge when doubtful decisions are made. Not for normal, non-controversial decisions. Perhaps, some controversies regarding offsides, yellow cards etc is still acceptable. But when it regards did-the-ball-cross-the-line?, red cards, penalties - these things can really, really, affect the outcome of the match! - we should strive for fairness as much as possible. So I'd go for a Secondary referee, I suppose.
On another level, how about the referees themselves? As in, the favoritism? I was making a comparison with PL, in terms of the favoritism. Is there any suggestions about the referees themselves?

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Nedved, well yeah this kind of "excitment" might not be that good after all. Anyways where is the secondary ref supposed to be ? That is the ref you suggested to add. Well I dont really like the idea of having two refs on the field, that can create lots of other problems. Just imagine if one of the refs is very strict and the other is okay with fouls.. The players have to adapt with each ref ?? And what difference would it make if you just have a ref at each side ? You will still end up with one ref beside the ball and that ref will make the decision, the other ref will not be near the ball at all. I dont know but I like it the way it is, if we add a ref today then in a year they will say lets add another and another and so on till they destroy the game..

Did you know they suggested adding a "Time-out"... How stupid can that be ?!?!?

D

·
0 Posts
Sabry// I agree with your first post (except for the fighting part ;) ).
I mean, where shou´ld we draw the line. What is supposed to be regarded as extremely important for the outcome of a game. Penaltys, of course, red cards as well. But then,??

Every fan know how frustrating it is to watch a game when your team is constantly being "mistreated" by the ref. But what can you do about it? As I said, you have to draw the line somewhere. Its impossible to register every aspect of the game. So its perhaps boring, but I think its o.k the way it is :).-

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, perhaps, instead of proposing a change to the rules/regulations - how about looking at it from another angle? As in, how to improve the quality of the referees themselves. For things like favoritism depend very much on the referees instead of the rules/regulations of the game. And the number of referees in the match wouldn't matter if all of them show favoritism!
I'm not very knowledgeable about this, but are the Serie A refs professionals? Or...? And why do you think the accusations of bribing of refs in Serie A are rather strong (compared to Bundesliga, PL, for example) ? What steps can be taken to improve the reputation and image of Serie A referees?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts