Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually this was my reply for another topic, but several people have commented that this can be a whole new topic altogether. So here it goes:
Just an observation here about the referees in Serie A, as compared to those in some other leagues.
Personally, I think, unfortunately the credibility of the referees in Serie A is more questionable as compared to, say, the Premier League. From what I see in PL, some referees may have their 'reputation' - very strict, controversial, etc. But -correct me if I'm wrong- in general there's no distinct favoritism shown by the referees towards a particular team. Not even ManUtd. Same with the Bundesliga. Well, a referee may slightly favor the home side in a game, but I guess that one is rather understandable -psychological thing 'n all.
Meanwhile, the fans of Serie A seem to accuse the referees of favoritism, instead of merely being controversial. True, may be these accusations are 100% wrong, but come to think of it, one must have observed some instances to have such suspicions - it can't just crop up from nowhere.
So, what to do? Rather than just trashing the referees, and always thinking that when the team(s) favored by a referee wins ' it's because the referee' and refusing to give any credit at all to the team -- is it actually possible for Serie A to come up with ways,methods,steps etc that will improve the refereeing quality of Serie A, and hence improve the credibility of the refs which will result in a better Serie A! Collina has a world reputation, and a good one that is. So the whole task shouldn't be impossible although indeed difficult.
What do you think?

Z

·
0 Posts
Nedved,

This is a good topic, and one I want to discuss. I'll be honest with you, though - I'd rather discuss it during the summer when the race for the scudetto is over. It is kind of hard to focus on anything else right now.

In the summer there isn't a lot to talk about except boring rumors ("Is it true that Inter has purchased the entire Premier League for one billion dollars?")

But to keep the conversation going, I'll ask some questions and hope that someone who knows more about this than I do will answer:

1. Are Serie A referees professionals or do they have other jobs too?

2. If they are professionals, are they well paid?

3. What kind of training do they get?

4. What kind of supervision do they get? That is, if a referee is really, really bad, is there a way to get rid of him?

5. If it is true that some (or all) referees favor Juventus (or Juve and Milan, or whatever) so that it is difficult for other teams to win the scudetto, why do the other teams put up with it? Why would people own or run a team, spend a whole lot of money on players, etc., etc. if they know their team did not have a fair chance to win the scudetto? [At this point, I mean that as a question, not as an argument.]

Personally, I don't think I can even begin to analyze this issue until I know the answers to these questions.

Regards,

Zen9

S

·
0 Posts
Don't remember in which match, but a referee was seen to celebrate a goal in a Premier League match!!!!

------------------
G3ORG3

FoRzA JuVe

fOrZa BiAnCoNeRi

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hehehe, Zen9, if you wish I can re-post this topic during the summer break! But as it is, I've posted it anyway so I'll get on with it...at least to relieve some stress from the scudetto race for a while.
Sad to say, but not being an Italian, I don't know that much about referees in Serie A either. What I know are based on articles and tv, mostly. And I'm aware that sometime ago the newspapers were buzzing over the allegations of bribing of referees in Serie A. Thus, I'd like to know more abt it...
For your questions...I'mnot 100% sure but the answer to 1) should be no, at least to the majority of the referees. I don't think they're professionals. But anyone, please correct me if I am wrong!
and 5)the allegations were abt the referees favoring Juventus (I don't know abt Milan) and if I recall correctly, this allegation was before this season, i.e. last season when it was Milan vs Lazio scudetto-race. I read several articles abt it. Oh, bear in mind that the newspapapers I read are not Italian newspapers ;)
I'm looking forward to the answers to your questions as well! It helps to know more facts and not just rumors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts