Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's clear that Serie A is lagging in terms of attendance, behind other leagues. This is one of the weaknesses of the league, and is part of the reason why revenue has dropped drastically over the last few years. If Serie A is to get back to its past power, no doubt the attendance problem will have to be fixed.

Revenue and attendance. It's actually not just the actual attendance figures, but the revenue generated from matchday. Inter and Milan both have pretty good attendance in terms of numbers, but matchday revenue is very low compared to other top teams because ticket prices are also very low. If ticket prices were the same for EPL and Serie A, the attendance disparity would be even larger.

Stadiums. The EPL has only had two recent major stadium renovations or constructions, Emirates and Man City's stadium. So stadium quality cannot explain everything.

·
Scudetto
23,383 Posts
I honestly am pretty ignorant about this subject, but I read somewhere that it's mainly because the people who go to watch the games are just the men, and not the families, because sometimes it could be unsafe.

How true is that?

Because just imagine, if a person brings his family along to the games, attendance could double or even triple.

·
Registered
32,678 Posts
Stadiums. The EPL has only had two recent major stadium renovations or constructions, Emirates and Man City's stadium. So stadium quality cannot explain everything.
:eek:

The stadia in England are continually upkept.

+ no athletic tracks.

+ all seats are covered.

I'd say, every single stadium used by an EPL club is in a better condition than the most modern stadium in Italy which would probably be Olimpico in Turin.

Most Serie A stadiums don't even have numbered seats (and much of what is called "seats" is rather flat pieces of plastic).

In Italy you've got dangerous fireworks, abusive striscioni, and policemen swinging batons; in England you can barely throw an empty plastic cup without being thrown out of the stadium and handed a suspension.

There is also a reason why Man United warned their supporters of the conditions in the toilets of Olimpico in Rome.:howler:

·
Registered
32,678 Posts
That said, marketing has a lot to do with it as well. Ticket sales via the web is ages behind in Italy, fx. Roma is the fourth biggest club in Italy - have you visited their website lately?

English clubs make fortunes from box seats and corporate hospitality. Galliani said San Siro doesn't meet the existing demands for such services... though even if it did, I'm inclined to believing that the idiots running Italian clubs would fail to market it properly anyway.

MAtchday revenue includes - as you said - merchandising as well. In this area I'd say Italy's shortcomings are mainly due to poor marketing and the inabilty to crack down on counterfeit merchandise.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Some additional points:

-you have to buy the tickets in advance (and there are still numerous fixtures to which one can't even do that)

-most stadiums are located in the middle of nowhere, and in many cases they are impossible to reach with public transport

-the disproportion in ticket prices for different sections. You can get to the curve for cheap, but the tribuna places for really watching the game can be even more expensive than in England, while not nearly as good.

-altogether hostile attitude from the staff and police. I always get the feeling at an Italian stadium that the fans are considered a necessary evil who are there to ruin the occasion.

-the football is just not as good as it was 10 years ago.

And of course the biggest factor:

-every match is available on TV, and you can buy a pirated SKY card for peanuts just about anywhere

A final note:

-how about giving us the real attendance figures? I only follow Lazio's but they are ridiculous. It's always ca. 20 000 or ca. 30 000. Goddammit, I have to confirm my ticket at the turnstiles, doesn't the machine have a feature of counting the people? Plus sometimes the figure seems to be the actual attendance, sometimes the amount of people with tickets, and sometimes it seems to bear no relation to the number of people at the stadium.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Anyway this year it has risen slightly again. Around 25,000 this season which is at least back to the same sort of level as a few years ago pre-calciopoli. Sometimes you have to consider what teams are in Serie A too. Admittedly, right now we have alot of big teams in Serie A with biggish stadiums.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
The good news is there is clearly room for a huge improvement in attendances because in the 1980s and 1990s the average attendance figure was always between 35 and 40,000.

The condiion of the stadiums is less of a problem in terms of attracting people, for example the Olimpico in Rome now ranks with aay stadium worldwide for comfort and convenience and is relatively easy to reach.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
The condiion of the stadiums is less of a problem in terms of attracting people, for example the Olimpico in Rome now ranks with aay stadium worldwide for comfort and convenience and is relatively easy to reach.
Easy to reach, yes, but not comfortable. The toilets run over and get filled with water every time it rains, etcetera.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Indeed the seating in most if not all Italian stadiums needs to be much more comfortable. At the moment they are just flat plastic things, however it must be said alot of the fans do not sit anyway aprt from in the upper class areas where the seating is better.

·
Registered
32,678 Posts
Easy to reach, yes, but not comfortable. The toilets run over and get filled with water every time it rains, etcetera.
+ there's still the athletic track which is bad for visibility in many parts of the stadium and the atmosphere in general when it's not completely full.

Btw, are tip-up seats really that expensive?

Good points by Kafka.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Probably not, and probably not even time consuming. I think it would be good for Italy to get 2016 so we can fit in things like these (which would probably be necessary).

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Revenue and attendance. It's actually not just the actual attendance figures, but the revenue generated from matchday. Inter and Milan both have pretty good attendance in terms of numbers, but matchday revenue is very low compared to other top teams because ticket prices are also very low. If ticket prices were the same for EPL and Serie A, the attendance disparity would be even larger.
That may be so, but you're not going to boost attendance by raising ticket prices. If you want people to pay more you first have to make the product more attractive somehow.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Indeed the seating in most if not all Italian stadiums needs to be much more comfortable. At the moment they are just flat plastic things, however it must be said alot of the fans do not sit anyway aprt from in the upper class areas where the seating is better.
It also couldn't hurt if they were to hose down the seats once in a while. When I went to Olimpico they were handing out those match program newspapers. I found out later that it wasn't to read them, but to sit on them. It says something when the seating is less hygienic than it is at your local bus terminal.

·
Registered
46,331 Posts
I think that the real problem is that the people in Italy prefer to sit in front of their TV rather than going to a stadium filled with *****. So in the end it's just a matter of security.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Actually they do! At the Cluj game last September in the Curva Sud, everyone was carefully checking their tickets to ensure they sat in the correct seat!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts