Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Arsenalation
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
QUOTE :

Coleman's players were outstanding but the manager's masterstroke was to suffocate Chelsea's supply-line from Claude Makelele, who likes to sit in front of his back-four and dictate the flow of the game.
Fulham reacted by sending Steed Malbranque to play in the hole behind the strikers, in the same area of the pitch as Makelele.
Coleman said: 'Every time we play against Chelsea or every time we watch them play, everything goes through Makelele and he starts the attacks.
'Steed Malbranque loves playing in that position, he likes attacking from that position but he's not very good at defending.
'We told him to go where he liked when he had the ball but, as soon as he didn't have it, Makelele was his man.
'We wanted Petr Cech to kick it rather than pass it out and it worked very well.'
Coleman knew his gameplan was working when Mourinho abandoned his favourite 4-3-3 formation after 26 minutes and sent on subs Damien Duff and Didier Drogba.
The Fulham boss said: 'He changed very early. He got Duff and Drogba on and tried to match us up through midfield which I thought was a compliment for our boys.' :strong:

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Yes, I really didn't understand with his decision especially when he replaced Wright-Phillips for Duff. I mean, both are same wide player and he didn't give chance to him and J.Cole to develop their game. And it's not like Drogba can score either. Basically changing to 4-4-2 formation is real mistake as the team rarely play that way.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
That might explain why Chelsea are unable to succed in Europe aswell, since many teams play with a player in that position. They stop Makelele from doing what he is best at, and therefore the flow in Chelseas attacks. A bit like playing against Arsenal with two defensive minded wingers to stop their wing backs from going up, in that way you have stopped a lot of Arsenals gameplan.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I think Mourinho brought Drogba on because Fulham weren't giving Chelsea time to find passes around the pitch so Drogba would be the outlet for them when they smashed the ball up field. I remember United trying to close them down at OT and it was working until Chelsea changed to 442 when they started to get the better of us.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
There have been a bunch of teams that have done this to Chelsea this season. Barcelona and Betis, especially were the teams that I saw do this the best though.

Against Barca Edmilson shut down Lampard and it looked a hell of a lot more disparate than the Fulham match. When Lampard is shut down the attackers get no service. True, play goes through Makelele but the man in charge of linking the forward players efffectively is Frank Lampard. When Lampard is closed down then you'll often see Terry playing long balls from the back and Makelele making passes just to get it out of the danger area. Since Chelsea only play three in the midfield they are very vulnerable in that area.

What lost this game for Chelsea was Mourinho more than any tactic Coleman came up with. If he hadn't panicked and kept his team out there just the way it was they could've pulled back and won that game.

Mourinho best manager right now? :dazed: :eekani:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well against Barca, Makelele spent a lot of time following Deco rather than playing in his usual spot.

It;s not really a masterstroke from coleman, quite a few managers know to try and choke Makalele.

·
Registered
305 Posts
U wish u had a player of Drogbas calibre jern :rolleyes: .

As for how to beat us; On our day we can only be beaten by the 12th man (as seen against Barca) on our worst day we can only be beaten by the london-scums, not you but fulham that is...

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Bit funny how he magically disappeared after they got owned by Barca. :rollani:

Nevertheless, nice to have resident Chelsk fan back. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
I didn't dissapear, I'm still here or you can't read? I didn't have access to the internet and that was the problem. You must've mistaken me for a manure fans who joins ship whenever things get rough?

·
Registered
576 Posts
LampardF said:
U wish u had a player of Drogbas calibre jern :rolleyes: .

As for how to beat us; On our day we can only be beaten by the 12th man (as seen against Barca) on our worst day we can only be beaten by the london-scums, not you but fulham that is...
That extra man is your coach.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts