Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bloody stupid!

Firstly, if you are going to postpone the games because of the Pope's imminent death, surely this should have been done as soon as it was known about the Pope's condition.

Secondly, should we really stop living because of one man? Whether one is a catholic or not, are you trying to tell me that people are going to be given a day off from work because of the Pope? Should we all suspend all economic activity for one man? albeit an important man?

Well i know this is a very sensitive topic but I think its ludicrous. You think that during the Asian Tsunami when over 100,000 people died that they thought about postponing the football? or how about everyday when war in Iraq claims innocent lives, do we stop living?

The whole hypocracy kills me. I know its nice to show respect and I know people will hate me after I post this, but be honest with yourselves......aren't you at least a little dissapointed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm with you on this one Catenaccio. He's not dead yet! He could survive for a while yet. What are we gonna do keep putting off the games until he dies. Why football? Tonight I could go to a disco, the theatre, a concert, the cinema but I can't go and see a football match!

HajdukSplit - Italy is NOT 99 % Catholic. If it was the churches would be packed every Sunday. Even if that was the case why do we even play football on Sundays, the holiest day?

It would be far better to actually wait until he is dead and then we can pay our tributes however we want. I think what has happened is actually an insult to the Pope. Ask yourself, would such a humble man really want all this? He's going to a better a place and for this we should be thankful and we would have demonstrated this at stadiums all over Italy tonight and tomorrow. Instead people are being stopped from getting together, following their team, but also finding a positive outlet to express their sadness for what is a difficult time for many.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
It is absurd to ask our world to come to a halt but where it is appropriate folks will stop and witness his Holiness' going.

·
Registered
46,398 Posts
Arianna said:
are u sure about that?:howler:

... and for me, for my family, for the other supporters that i've hear...it is a wrong decision
No, it is not a wrong decision. It is a choice which can be debatable (above all cause they took it a bit late indeed) but which can be shared in the end. I'm a fan of the Pope and I'm not the best one to tell you whether it is right or not but I think that postponing the games is not really a big sacrifice and whatever is the spirit of the choice it shows sensibility.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
This is true Toni, I don't think there is a right or wrong decison. I feel, like I wrote in the Roma forum that he would have wanted the games to go on. He is enjoying his Happy Death, he wouldn't want prayers for his health, he would want prayers for his entering into Heaven.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
I would have agreed a few hours ago. But obviously, I think now it's a different situation. Italians would feel closer to the whole thing that most other nations, and while it was annoying not to have any football to watch all day, the world has lost a Great man, and I think the impact should be respected.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
guys some of u are ridiculus

italy is over 95% catholic, most players and coaches cross themselves several tiems during a game

dont be insane...they realized his death was imminent and showed respect

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
There are better ways to give respect. They could have held a minute of silence or donated the gate receipts to his charities. No need to cancell calcio.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Stefan9, I like you but I just can't believe you said that. Speaking as a Hindu and not anyone anywhere closedly related to the Pope, I respect him and I realize that all the damn players and teams and Italian fans are Catholic. You can't just have a minute of silence. This is their religious leader. You can'tj ust go to a game and party when your relgiious leade ris down.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
HajdukSplit said:
no! it was the right thing to do, Italy is like 99% Catholic
Lav said:
italy is over 95% catholic, most players and coaches cross themselves several tiems during a game.
Only some players do that and most are not even italian. Coaches, only Trap with his funny "acqua santa". We are not as religious as many could think.
But it was the right decision. Catenaccio.... :thmbdown: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Football should stop and pay it's respect to the Pope. Is the inconvenience of not watching soccer so big that the world or at least Italy stop for a monent and reflect on their loss. Besides a stop gives everyone a break to truly reflect on what is important in life and let me tell you as much as I love soccer it is not the most important thing and should defintely step aside for something that is far greater than it and that is the death of a spiritual leader who though may have been to conservative for my liking was a great man who did many great things.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
ToniSamp said:
No, it is not a wrong decision. It is a choice which can be debatable (above all cause they took it a bit late indeed) but which can be shared in the end. I'm a fan of the Pope and I'm not the best one to tell you whether it is right or not but I think that postponing the games is not really a big sacrifice and whatever is the spirit of the choice it shows sensibility.
well, now he's death so it is not wrong.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
This was the right decision, no question. Like someone stated earlier 95% of Italians are Roman Catholic or nonpracticing Catholics, so basically a well-respected friend passed on today. Stopping the games in remembrance of such a great person is the least you can do.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.