Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what people's thoughts are here.

1st preference:

For me, the season should be abandoned and annulled:

- Let the players' individual goals and assists stats stand

- Do not assign Scudetto winner, Euro places or relegation places.

Incredibly cruel for teams like Lazio - who wouldn't even get CL football - and also the likes of Parma, who had a shot at Europa League.

It also also obviously a horror show for the top teams in Serie B (Benevento are 20 points clear - Liverpool-esque scenario).

2nd preference:

Let the current standings stand and:

- award the title, Euro places etc on that basis.

I honestly couldn't care less if Juve get awarded this title.

Again, horrible for Lazio, but we had no chance of winning it, so no skin off my teeth.

Would be horrible for the teams in the relegation zone though, i.e. Lecce.

Terrible ideas that are being suggsted:

Play-offs
- Awful idea unless it was, say, between teams that are level on points (Lecce and Genoa). I think the idea of re-starting the season is stupid to begin with. But having a 4-way playoff for the Scudetto or 6-way playoff for relegation is just a horrible mess, given that Inter and Atalanta had no chance of winning Serie A and given that Brescia and SPAL looked dead-certs for relegation

Restarting the season before it's safe to do so:
Obviously retarded and won't be allowed by government

Restarting 2019/20 season in August/September, i,e. concluding the season no matter what:
Awful f**king idea. First off, it sabotages next season which needs to end in May 2021. This could mean destroying the sporting integrity of 2 seasons instead of 1.
Secondly, how much momentum are teams likely to lose? God knows how fit/unfit players will be after e.g. 3/4 months of inactivity.

Your thoughts, your thoughts

R

·
Registered
45,847 Posts
Unfortunately the one thing which can be done and would not cause any kind of appeal against the decision is cancelling the season as a whole. I'm really sorry for Benevento. As regards the UEFA places I'd simply wait for the decisions of UEFA on the matter as this is going to be a problem for all the European countries anyway.

·
Registered
17,022 Posts
The main thing we can be sure is that a greedy person and group of people will advocate for the completion of the season despite the health risks to everyone involved, both in europe and italy.

My beef with resuming or restarting is that if we continue the old season, it's not actually the same season. The players will be in a different cycle of fitness, different mindset. It will no longer be "2019-2020."

·
Greta joke sharer
23,226 Posts
Wondering what people's thoughts are here.

1st preference:

For me, the season should be abandoned and annulled:

- Let the players' individual goals and assists stats stand

- Do not assign Scudetto winner, Euro places or relegation places.

Incredibly cruel for teams like Lazio - who wouldn't even get CL football - and also the likes of Parma, who had a shot at Europa League.

It also also obviously a horror show for the top teams in Serie B (Benevento are 20 points clear - Liverpool-esque scenario).
I'd go with that, except I'd let the current standings serve as qualifiers for European participation. Letting Napoli qualify for the CL at Lazio's expense doesn't seem reasonable.

·
Registered
41,610 Posts
Next season we should restart the seasons across world football. So Man. City will be defending their title, etc. Just a complete blanket break until September and forget 19/20 ever happened. Just wipe everything apart from goals and assists.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Of course you want that hehe.. ;)

Problem would be the financial hit, apparently Serie A clubs would lose 700million if the season is cancelled.. that is an awful lot. I imagine the losses for EPL clubs would be bigger.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Rome, Florence and Naples to host Serie A?

Football Italia

With half of all Italian coronavirus deaths in Lombardy, Serie A games could be played in only four centre-south cities, including Florence, Rome and Naples.

World Health Organisation member and advisor to the Italian Olympic Committee Walter Riccardi confirmed to Radio Punto Nuovo that they are “proposing to play in the centre-south.”

According to the Corriere dello Sport, the cities discussed are Florence, Rome, Naples and potentially one other.

“Italy’s not all the same in terms of infection. In the centre-south there hasn’t been that terrible explosion seen in the north.

“But people communicate and travel. In some parts of the country, this can’t be done yet. There are areas where there are still 100+ deaths per day.

“Differentiating the areas by level of risk is right, so we’re proposing to play in the centre-south because it makes no sense to ban activities where there are no cases such as Basilicata.

“What we’ll suggest is to have different measures according to the geographical areas.”

This is similar to the suggestion last week that all remaining Serie A matches are played in and around Rome, only expanded to different regions.

Teams will have to stay locked into a training retreat for the duration and it’d make more sense if these were in areas not too badly affected by the pandemic.

Lombardy is the epicentre and continues to represent half of all daily COVID-19 deaths in Italy.
The Serie A clubs in areas worst affected by the outbreak are Milan, Inter, Brescia and Atalanta.

As the remaining games will be behind closed doors, home advantage should be practically nullified anyway.

The regions in question have more than one stadium suitable for Serie A football, for example Frosinone and Benevento have relatively new arenas.

---

Decent idea. No other solution really.

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Minister for Sport Vincenzo Spadafora says it's increasingly unlikely Serie A will resume.

I really hope it doesn't TBH

Watching 10 games in completely empty stadiums with unfit players afraid of getting sick would totally suck.

Pull the plug and let's get to my favourite part of the year - the transfer market ?

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
How much money would we as a club lose if the league is cancelled, though? We still have to pay salaries but we aren't getting all the TV money but part of it as not all 38 rounds are completed. We would still get money from playing in CL this season and making CL next season too. That ought to help obviously.

Reckon that getting UEFA money for CL and selling Icardi and Lautaro, the club would be in an ok shape financially speaking.

Anyhow not only the minister of sport but the minister of health said the same thing. Understanble that the government is concerned after 26k deaths. France and Holland cancelled their leagues and as far as I know they have less cases compared to Italy..

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Inter return to Appiano today
Football Italia
13 Hours Ago

Today, Inter will return to Appiano Gentile after almost two months absent, provided there are no surprises from the medical checks.

The initial step towards normality will begin with groups of six to eight players, with the first expected to arrive at 1.00pm, according to the Gazzetta dello Sport.

Alexis Sanchez, who finished his quarantine period two days ago, will also be at the Pinetina, as a doctor, a physio and one or two members of the technical staff will in rotation accompany the returning players on the training ground.

The newspaper claims coach Antonio Conte is likely to show up at the facility and continue to oversee the training of his title challengers.

During the two months of isolation, the players have kept fit through a programme directed by the Nerazzurri tactician, and the individual sessions carried out in groups will last for about 90 minutes.

As Serie A is at a standstill, Inter are currently nine points behind league leaders Juventus and eight points behind second-placed Lazio, but with one game in hand on their rivals.

---

Official: All tests negative at Inter
Football Italia
12 Hours Ago

Inter have officially announced that all their players have tested negative for coronavirus and will resume training from today.

Earlier today, reports confirmed that the Nerazzurri had scheduled to resume individual training in groups of six to eight at the Appiano Gentile and now the club has announced the negative tests of their players.

“FC Internazionale Milano announce that all the medical tests that the first team was subjected to were negative. Optional individual training will resume from today,” the official statement read.

“The club maintains the utmost attention on the protocol for the health of the players and all the members of the Club, in compliance with the government’s guidelines and the protection of public health.”

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Not sure how Serie A will resume when clubs have positive cases (Torino, Milan, Samp and Fiorentina..)

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure how Serie A will resume when clubs have positive cases (Torino, Milan, Samp and Fiorentina..)
Yeah, it's a farce. A restart will end in disaster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts