Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11 defeats in 11 games, like Grenoble in Ligue 1 in 2009. 6 defeats in a row at home. Just 4 goals scored in 11 games.
29 goals conceded have to be increased, it is not bad enough.
The next game is at Rubenz Stadium.

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It must be said that surely they lost confidence defeat after defeat because in the first game at Marassi vs Sampdoria they were not far from obtaining a win and the draw would have been the fair result. They also lost one point to Torino and Cagliari in a very unlucky way. That said, the quality of the team is poor for serie A. De Zerbi is not going to be the solution, the way he wasn't the solution for Palermo in the past season, but the management felt like changing the coach after 9 defeats and no one else was eager to jump on the wrong train. My guess is that De Zerbi will be sacked soon and Baroni will return, if he feels like doing it.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
With so many crappy teams in Serie A this year, it's by no means impossible that they survive in the end. But something has to change quickly...

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
With so many crappy teams in Serie A this year, it's by no means impossible that they survive in the end. But something has to change quickly...
Naw. They are in a class of their own. Verona and SPAL have a couple of players that can make the difference. Crotone have a squad to bring in draws.

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Not that I really disagree about Benevento's prospects, but which SPAL and Verona players are you referring to?
How dare you question me!!!

Anyway. I am obviously not even saying those teams will stay up, just that they have some that might make the difference compared to what Benevento got.

Verona have some solid defenders that done well in serie A like Hertaux and Caceres. Romulo once scored 6 goals from midfielder for them in A and been a solid one. Pazzini in theory is an attacker to save them, but I cant help notice he has ONLY scored penalties so far. At least he score more penalties than Benevento scored goals. :D Overall they have a squad that range between solid and bad. Many players that is seen or was seen as talents.

SPAL have a whole assortment of strikers that have proven they can score in serie A. Borriello scoring 16 just one season ago. That said, their midfield and defense is hardly legions above the Benevento one, I personally just rate it higher.

Benevento have an attack led by Coda, who at 28 years of age have ONE season in serie A were he scored 2 goals. I'd say the only player worth mentioning for them is Danilo Cataldi who now for the first time have a season as a starter in serie A, after a couple of ones working part-time.

·
Administrator
52,112 Posts
They must be the worst Serie A team since Ancona way back, no?

Not even Novara was this bad.

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In terms of results Benevento are probably the worst team in ages, but in terms of quality of the players they are not worse than Carpi and Frosinone two seasons ago. Contrarily to those teams Benevento has stopped being a team after few games and nothing suggests they are going to be one again. They are indeed comparable just to Ancona from that point of view.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
D'Alessandro looked good when we played them. Interesting player.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
I don't know how much you guys know about this trendy "expected goals" stat, but basically it's a stat that takes into account the amount and quality of scoring chances that a team has created and allowed. It's not perfect by any means, but generally one can expect that if there's a big difference between the expected goals and the actual goals, regression to the mean will make sure that two will in the end get closer.

Anyway, based on that stat, it seems quite clear that there are four teams in Serie A below the rest. Not surprisingly, they are Crotone, SPAL, Verona and Benevento. Meanwhile we can expect Genoa and Sassuolo to climb up, based on expected goals their performances have been mid-table quality. But between the four worst clubs there has been quite little difference. In fact, although Benevento have only scored four goals, they create considerably more chances than SPAL and Crotone.

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know how much you guys know about this trendy "expected goals" stat, but basically it's a stat that takes into account the amount and quality of scoring chances that a team has created and allowed. It's not perfect by any means, but generally one can expect that if there's a big difference between the expected goals and the actual goals, regression to the mean will make sure that two will in the end get closer.

Anyway, based on that stat, it seems quite clear that there are four teams in Serie A below the rest. Not surprisingly, they are Crotone, SPAL, Verona and Benevento. Meanwhile we can expect Genoa and Sassuolo to climb up, based on expected goals their performances have been mid-table quality. But between the four worst clubs there has been quite little difference. In fact, although Benevento have only scored four goals, they create considerably more chances than SPAL and Crotone.
yeah, D'Alessandro, Ciciretti and Iemmello are not so bad. D'Alessandro missed seven games but had a great game at Marassi vs Sampdoria (and vs Inter according to what Ahmed tells us), so his absence surely affected Benevento's attack in the remaining games. Ciciretti also had physical troubles but played more games. Iemmello joined late from Sassuolo and has been wasteful in the key game vs Hellas at Bentegodi (a dull game I watched on a boring monday night), but he is a striker with the killer instinct and proved it in serie A when Sassuolo gave him a chance in the past season. that said, the main difference between Benevento and the other three teams is that right now Benevento seem to have lost confidence completely, and it could hardly be otherwise after losing so many game in a row (without luck in a few games).

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
94th minute goal conceded at home against Sassuolo today which condemned them to yet another defeat.

I really felt for the little girl who cried in the stands. I hope Benevento can at least get a point soon for her!

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Losing in the last 15 minutes in Bergamo is hardly shameful, but still no points..

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
You can see how the bad results affect confidence...watching the Milan match, I would say the Benevento has had the best of the match. Yet Milan score a scrappy goal and Benevento time and again disappoint with the final ball.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts