Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My online experience started in mid 1995. I started to visit BBSes earlier that year, but then a mass exodus to the internet started. That was when 14.4k was still the norm, but AOHell tried to screw people over by resetting the connection speeds to 2.4k Don't remember the first site I visited, but I'm sure it had something to do with cars. I couldn't find anything having to do with football, though with the international browser I could visit the section for English and Scottish football on AOHell UK.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
i think i first got the net in 97 or something my dad had this internet thing and i would look at it not really getting waht the hell it was, then i started to get it, when he left in 98 he got me a 10 hour a month connection so that i could write him emails....by end of year i was a regular addict

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Hm...1998 or 1999 for me...

Scary time for me those days...:D all that crap about millienium bug...:howler: Biggest scaremongering event in history. :(

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
My first encounter with the internet (although I had heard about it before) was in high school. One day in computer class, in between lessons, someone showed me www.yahoo.com. The first day I didn't quite understand those weird internet addresses, but I soon got better at it. I believe it was in 1995, although I left no trace of my internet online time from that period. The following two - three years I was only sporadically online, until I finished my year in the army, and went to University College for the first time. Until then, I had only been looking around the internet, I didn't have a mail and I didn't write in any forums. However, in the autumn of 1998 and spring of 1999 I was online as much as I could. I spent most of my time writing in fan forums of the musical groups that I was most fond of at the time. I also spent quite a lot of time, practicing my Hearts (card game) skills at Excite.com, where I became one of the highest ranked users at one time. The next year I moved to Oslo, and didn't have the net for one year, and when I got it back, it didn't take many months until I found Xtratime.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
1998. yahoo was the site i like most at that time :)

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I don't have any net stories, I'm just the same nomadic soul I am in real life.. never got addicted to online games or anything. It's only Xtratime. :)

..started out 1999 I guess. Y'know, the millenium bug and stuff..

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
November 2000 :eek:
I live in Germany btw.:D

·
MVP
8,982 Posts
Around 1997. My mates in high school at the time had it as early as 1996...and I even remember the 1st ISP here started in late 1995.

It was like a real cool thing at first. Modems, US Robotics, Motorola, mIRC and what have you....10 minutes of the internet was like heaven for me at the time! :happy:

now 1 hour is barely enough and mIRC is boring! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts