Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is the question......you gotta beleive that offers for him are gonna start flying in after his performances at Euro2000. I know there have already been rumours of clubs such as Inter and Roma being interested in him.

I think if he left Benfica it would be bitter-sweet. I'd hate to see him go, but in a league like the Premiership or Serie A, you gotta beleive he'd fine tune his skills and become one of the worlds' best strikers. Which in turn is great for the national team.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I fear that "la cassanova du nord" may be right - Nuno Gomes' value may never be higher than what it is right now, especially if Portugal continues to progress through the tournament. Van Hooijdonk may have been a move to provide a contingency for NG's departure. Now there's talk of signing Norway's goalkeeper? Hmmm...Enke and Nuno Gomes to Fiorentina for Rui Costa and a gazillion contos? Let the internet rumor mill roll!!!

Still - after the PR debacle after JVP's departure, how do you let Nuno Gomes leave now? Heynckes seems to like him, too.

FORCA BENFICA!

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
"cassanova du nord"...heh heh..I like that...its 3 dates and counting Razor.....numbers 4 and up are coming this week. Still gotta get rid of those bb's

·
International
5,629 Posts
Funny...Now Gomes is wanted by all, before this tournament started everyone with the exception of Razor and I wanted Pauleta and Sa to start before him! Nuno is not going anywhere yet. He's only 23 and he has a World Cup and another Euro to propel himself to higher fortunes, unless someone makes Benfica an offer they can't refuse.

Forca Marco! Remember leave the "nice" home!

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Players that leave Portugal when they are too young can end up being flops.

Other flops:
Dominguez
Cadete
Boa Morte
Dani

I don't see any of them in our Euro 2000 squad or in any more future ones. Funny how all of those players went to England at some point as well. So Nuno - stay away - it will bring u bad luck - go to Spain!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well guys i am more proud of what NUNO GOMES and the rest of our team has done 4 Portugal.

Nuno Gomes has still plenty of years 2 improve his skills. He should not leave portugal at this stage, it will be bad 4 him and for Benfica!!:p

·
Registered
646 Posts
he's already said he wants to go and is determined to leave after what happened to Joao Pinto.

Rui Costa also said that now he'd NEVER come back to Benfica

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nuno Gomes has stated that he has no intentions of leaving Benfica, despite apparent interest from Aston Villa, Arsenal, Lazio and Fiorentina.

Gomes was one of the stars of EURO 2000, and a number of foreign clubs took notice, but the player himself has refuted all claims.
"I have thought about this," said Gomes. "But I have no knowledge of it, I felt myself to be in the upper class of the club [Benfica], and I do not need to leave the club.

"I am a Benfica player and I feel tranquil, I am pleased with Portuguese soccer and my club Benfica."

A representative of the Benfica club, Alvaro Braga Junior, met with Gomes on Thursday. "It has already been stated Benfica want the player and Nuno Gomes wants to stay at Benfica.

"It was no surprise to us how well Nuno did during the European Championships."

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
1 good tournament does not make a good player and 1 goal has apparently lifted gomes' value up by £4million. I think he should stay at benfica a bit longer and then leave when he has matured a bit more at benfica.
Gomes is a prime exaple of why not to get rid of pinto be4 the tournament, pinto had a reasonably good tournament and scored a sensational goal against england and reports the following day said fiorentina were prepared to double or maybe even triple his benfica salary so now in my opinion if we had waited to get rid of him we would have had no problem in getting money for him now.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The one thing I know, with the players benfica has at te moment, I don't see how any other team in portugal can beat them.

Ramses II

1 - 11 of 11 Posts