Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I woke up and went to have breakfast in Stephanplatz and already there were many Croats filing around the city square. I went back to my hotel and made some calls and around 2:00PM I met up with my big group of buddies from Istra. Stephanplatz was just crazy as there were thousands of Croats just singing and acting wild. If my estimates are correct there was more people in the square for the Cro-Austria game but that would be because that was played on a Sunday and also as my Istrian buddy said everyone already spent there money.

At Stephanplatz I saw Stipe Drvis, Petr Krpan, Milan Bandic and to me the biggest Croat of all the born Kosovar Ardijan Kozniku (the man is coolest guy ever) and a group of 10 wearing Kosovo shirts.

Around 5ish we went to some park benches just off the city square and drank beers and met some ekipa from Zagreb and they just couldnt believe I came from Vancouver so I showed them my passport and they took pics with me.

Around 6:30 about 50 of us walked down the street to the Subway to take the train to the Stadium and there were just what seemed like a sea of us chanting "Da sam Turcin ubijo bi se, ubijo bi se" for like 10 minutes. Then we arrived there and we outnumbered them what seemed 6-1. The Croatian section which I had tickets for was the yellow section and the blue section were the Turkish section but a lot of Croats bought tickets there as well. I dont know how it looked on tv Croatian fans made up for 70% and when we went in the stadium it was euphoria.

The match started and we were singing bjezite ljudi for like 5 minutes straight and when Olic missed we were grabbing our heads. At halftime we were talking about how it should have been at least 2-0 for us then around the 60th (dont quote me as I dont know the exact mintute) if you watch the match and you hear us booing for no reason its was because there was a big brawl between Croats in the level 1 section just to the left of the goal post that lasted for and Im not exaggerating 8-10 minutes and no security jumped in just watched it.

When Klasnic scored I never felt such a euphoria as strangers were hugging and yelling with there souls. When the equalizer came we were shocked. I made the reference that Croatia was never ever in a penalty shootout and some Torcida from Sibenik said gotovi smo.

After the match we were in an utter shock and I saw with my own eyes the hardest of the hooligans crying like kids. The walk back to the train station was long as we didnt want to take the stadium one as it was too crowded so we went to the other station. Then I hear Hey Canada and it was a Croatian guy who was born in London and lives in ENgland and he said to me "Im gutted, Im going to go crazy". I told him to stay tough and we walked a bit more and we saw bus after bus with Croatia plates going back to Croatia and that was my breaking point and I balled like a baby and few of my group did as well.

One thing this trip taught me is Ive always been but Im so proud of my Croatian people and love them with all my heart as there are no fans more dedicated and love there country as we do. I met so many people on this trip that went out of there way for me out of the goodness of there heart.

Im in my hotel room in Vienna writing this still in shock as we should have won that match but time will hopefully heal that but my even more newfound love for my people will never be forgotten!

·
Registered
119 Posts
What a great experience. Although South Africa wont nearly give us the geographic advantage as aus/swi did, im hoping i can experience something similar in 2010 (different final outcome of course).

What this ive been reading about paramedics being called to help out a bunch of Hrvati in the fanzone after a groups of turks attacked them?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What a great experience. Although South Africa wont nearly give us the geographic advantage as aus/swi did, im hoping i can experience something similar in 2010 (different final outcome of course).

What this ive been reading about paramedics being called to help out a bunch of Hrvati in the fanzone after a groups of turks attacked them?
I cant confirm that as I wasnt at the fanzone but I could tell you that the fanzone in Vienna is a breedingground for fights. This afternoon I went for some Greek food and this worker there asked me how it was at the game and I said peaceful between us and the Turks etc and he thought I was lying because he said there were fights all night around Swedenplatz and surrounding areas between both supporters and there were a lot of arrests but I didnt see it. The only fight I know of is when some Turk was selling 2 tickets and one Cro ran and grabbed them from him and I heard that sparked a fight but the others I dont know of.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I cant confirm that as I wasnt at the fanzone but I could tell you that the fanzone in Vienna is a breedingground for fights. This afternoon I went for some Greek food and this worker there asked me how it was at the game and I said peaceful between us and the Turks etc and he thought I was lying because he said there were fights all night around Swedenplatz and surrounding areas between both supporters and there were a lot of arrests but I didnt see it. The only fight I know of is when some Turk was selling 2 tickets and one Cro ran and grabbed them from him and I heard that sparked a fight but the others I dont know of.
LOL:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
At Stephanplatz I saw Petr Krpan
The one and only :D

there was a big brawl between Croats in the level 1 section just to the left of the goal post that lasted for and Im not exaggerating 8-10 minutes and no security jumped in just watched it.
Brutes :thmbdown:

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Great summary Van. My biggest highlight began during the half time break of extra time. The turks obviously had the better of it during the first 15min period and for the first time in the match their fans started going a bit nuts. During that break everyone realised that our boys needed to shift a gear higher. What began as just another rendition of "Bježite ljudi..." quickly snowballed until every Croat in the whole stadium was on their feet going wild repeating the song over and over and over again.

From the start of the half time break until at least the 10min mark of the second half of extra time everyone was on their feet literally screaming (rather than singing) the same song repeatedly. Our voices were dead, but then the song would end and again you'd wind it up and start "BJEŽITE LJUDI, BJEŽITE IZ GRADA, STIŽE EKIPA PIJANA....". It was like the fans were telling the players that this was all we could do and we're giving everything we have. And it felt like the players understood and were responding to it. It felt unbelievable.

At one stage as I was caught up in the middle of a few "ole, ole's" I noticed that virtually the entire press area and the green zone to the right was looking in our direction and not at the game. It was absolute fanatacism. The turks had also shut up. When the song eventually came to an end everyone was literally exhausted.

When the goal came, as expected, it was chaos.

In those 15min (sorry 18min) I had both my greatest and most horrible football experiences ever. It's bizarre. I still can't rationalise it.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
By way of an epilogue, I have to say that I had a pretty ****en shit walk back to the hotel after the game as well. Imagine, after that particular game walking with a few mates, and literally being surrounded by celebrating turks singing, dancing, driving past beeping their horns and waving their flags.

Good luck to them and all, it's just sucks that I had to be there in amongst it all. :yuck:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great summary Van. My biggest highlight began during the half time break of extra time. The turks obviously had the better of it during the first 15min period and for the first time in the match their fans started going a bit nuts. During that break everyone realised that our boys needed to shift a gear higher. What began as just another rendition of "Bježite ljudi..." quickly snowballed until every Croat in the whole stadium was on their feet going wild repeating the song over and over and over again.

From the start of the half time break until at least the 10min mark of the second half of extra time everyone was on their feet literally screaming (rather than singing) the same song repeatedly. Our voices were dead, but then the song would end and again you'd wind it up and start "BJEŽITE LJUDI, BJEŽITE IZ GRADA, STIŽE EKIPA PIJANA....". It was like the fans were telling the players that this was all we could do and we're giving everything we have. And it felt like the players understood and were responding to it. It felt unbelievable.

At one stage as I was caught up in the middle of a few "ole, ole's" I noticed that virtually the entire press area and the green zone to the right was looking in our direction and not at the game. It was absolute fanatacism. The turks had also shut up. When the song eventually came to an end everyone was literally exhausted.

When the goal came, as expected, it was chaos.

In those 15min (sorry 18min) I had both my greatest and most horrible football experiences ever. It's bizarre. I still can't rationalise it.

Dude I cant believe you were there as well, if I knew you would have hung out with me and my ekipa. Did you see the fight in our (Croatian)section in Category 1 that just didnt end? Do you know what started it? My friends and I dont know. I dont want to ever experience how I felt after that match as long as I live!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Dude I cant believe you were there as well, if I knew you would have hung out with me and my ekipa. Did you see the fight in our (Croatian)section in Category 1 that just didnt end? Do you know what started it? My friends and I dont know. I dont want to ever experience how I felt after that match as long as I live!
I didn't expect to be there for the quarters myself. A day or so before the game we found tickets at a reasonable price and went. Funnily enough tickets were going for next to nothing an hour or so before the game. One guy told me he picked up a ticket for 100 euro.

As for the fight I knew something was going on but I was on the third level so I couldn't see too well. But when I found out that it was a fight amongst our own I was more than happy to join in on the "Vi ste budale" chant that rang out in the Croatian end.

Stephanplatz was great both before the first and last game. Met Croatians from all over the globe. That in itself is a large part of the fun. Shame we didn't catch up but from my end it was tough making plans while travelling in a group.

I was surprised by the lack of turks in the stands. Vienna is chock full of them and they barely filled out a quarter of the stadium. We filled out over half, coming in numbers from everywhere.

Pound for pound we're the best fans in the world.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Great summary Van. My biggest highlight began during the half time break of extra time. .
They didn't zoom onto the crowd in that period (overall the tv coverage of the crowd at these Euros has been really bad or little of) but you could hear our supporters and during parts off the play where you could actually see our supporters it looked abosolutly CRAZY, everyone was not just jumping up and down but it looked more like epileptic fits 2m into the air. (everyone must have envisaged CK's avatar)
I'm sure the players took notice and stepped up that gear :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts