Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
The U$$$A are probably the best team in the WC. The way they hammered on Poland in that important match was awesome. They came out scored early and often and hung on for a 3-1 victory.

Oh, you mean they lost that game. Oh, never mind.

The way they beat Mexico was awesome. They needed some help on a non-call but after all they are the U$$$A. I guess Mexican Pesos don't go nearly as far.

Apparently Abel Xavier was rushed to the hospital after watching this game. He just kept muttering to himself, "Filha da puta".

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I didn't think it was possible, but your whining is actually making me feel a little better about the spanking we took from the Americans. If I weren't Portuguese, I'd laugh my ass off at the cowardly, cop-out mentality of such fans.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I am more amazed about the way Portugal are capable of making scandals at championships - Euro 2000 was forgiven by most and then Portugal does the same stunt 2 years later...even worse if it turns out Figo tried to fix the match... That's amazing!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Pila...

I'll say it again. YOU ARE AMERICAN. I guess it's easier to take because at least one of your countries made it.

Believe what you want to believe.
Life is fair, money is not important, FIFA is pristine, the guy who dove for Beto's 2nd yellow is still in midair screaming, the U$$$A deserve everything they bought at this WC.

Only 1 of the above is actually true. Do you know which one?

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Magic#10 said:
I am more amazed about the way Portugal are capable of making scandals at championships - Euro 2000 was forgiven by most and then Portugal does the same stunt 2 years later...even worse if it turns out Figo tried to fix the match... That's amazing!
It's a gift, magic. It comes from years of playing the victim, as eloquently illustrated by some on here.

·
Registered
243 Posts
let's not forget that the ref of the U$A (as you put it) - Mexico game was in fact Vitor Pereira, one of the most respected refs out there who just happens to be PORTUGUESE....

oh yeah also want to mention how FIFA paid off the portuguese defenders to have a few lapses and allow the U$A to score three goals.....
gimme a break...

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Figo Rules said:
Pila...

I'll say it again. YOU ARE AMERICAN. I guess it's easier to take because at least one of your countries made it.

Believe what you want to believe.
Life is fair, money is not important, FIFA is pristine, the guy who dove for Beto's 2nd yellow is still in midair screaming, the U$$$A deserve everything they bought at this WC.

Only 1 of the above is actually true. Do you know which one?
Life is what you make of it. Money is only one of many tools in the game of life. Beto's tackle was stupid and careless considering his and the team's situation at the time. The US are in the quaterfinals because they didn't wait for a result - they went out and got it, which is where we'd be if we had adopted the same mentality.

Your (and our country's misfortunates) aren't the result of power of money, but one of a warped sense of truth and responsibility.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Figo Rules...

I have been sad and disappointed about the way Denmark was sent out of the tournament. I have cursed our goalkeeper, I admit. (I really think we'd won if it wasn't for that mistake after 4 minutes, think we had better footballers than the English "popstars") BUT I also recognize that we didn't score despite having the ball for 61 % of the match. England was cynical and I will even go as far as to say that the better team won...in the respect that they scored - we didn't.
No doubt Portugal has better players than the US, but the US got through. Getting past a Mexico team in form was a great achievement - best result ever for the USA in the game they call soccer (I prefer to call it real football ;) ).
Getting to the quarter finals shows that the Americans do possess some quality - it's not all luck and bad refereeing. Beside if they were SO bad as some say - then why just not score 4-5 goals against them.

I don't know how the US do it - but they do. Football as life goes in peculiar ways ;) Mystery and that's why football such a great game...

·
Registered
333 Posts
PILA...

What a crock of $%&*. The US did wait for a result. From the Portugal-Korea game, then they celebrated like they accomplished something.

They certainly didn't go out and beat mighty Poland.

I'll say it for the millionth time. Portugal was lousy compared to what we could be. Every one screwed up. Even the mascot (Tuga) looked bug-eyed with one eye biogger than the other, like he was high or something.

Having saisd that we deserved a fiar shot in the last game. For 40 minutes at 10 men, Korea had few real scoring chances. A couple weak headers wide of the goal.
Then at 9 men, Sergio gets caught defendingin the box, and we go down 1-0.

Fine, I'm a whiner, you're naive. We're even.

Splurge...

You know Pereira well? do you know if he's above the fray.
None of us know him at all.

Hell, the most respected ref in soccer, Pierluigi Collina appears in ads for ADIDAS. Apparently in the rest of the world, they've never heard of conflict of interest, or at least looking impartial.

ADIDAS, a major sponsor at the WC has a major referee on the payroll. No one finds that weird.

Maybe I'm crazy.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Figo Rules said:
PILA...

BLAH-BLAH-BLAH!

Maybe I'm crazy.
I'm not a psychiatrist or anything...but reality is certainly a wall for you isn't?

You keep seeing it, but at the same time you keep running into it and bouncing off of it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Red Eagle...

I guess the "fix is in" only when the U$$$A loses at something, huh? And then the American media never lets it go.

Magic #10

Your loss was eerily similiar to our loss against the U$$$A. Keeper's gaffe on a corner leads to a goal 5 minutes in. Heskey's goal should have been saved just as we wished the ball had never bounced off J Costa's head and in.

·
Registered
243 Posts
do i know pereira personally? no...
BUT i have seen him ref more than one game and i know that he IS a good referee, and the most respected from our country....now he missed the handball, yeah, i just don't think it was some fifa conspiracy, just a mistake, they're not perfect ;)

In regard to your comment about Adidas....
well if you recall France and Argentina are two of the biggest teams, both conveniently sponsored by Adidas, yet both conveniently knocked out of the world cup....wouldn't fifa want these teams in?

this world cup, we have no one to blame but ourselves....i think that's what hurts the most, we'd like to find some outside source to blame it on so we come up with all these excuses in our head, but the fact is we weren't prepared for various reasons cough cough antonio oliveira cough....soon enough euro 2004 will roll around and our somewhat hurt pride will be restored....

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Figo Rules said:
PILA...

What a crock of $%&*. The US did wait for a result. From the Portugal-Korea game, then they celebrated like they accomplished something.

They certainly didn't go out and beat mighty Poland.

No, they didn't go out and beat mighty Poland. But they did go out and beat mighty Portugal and got a draw out of the Koreans, something we couldn't do because we were too busy playing victim. I guess some of us will never get it, which is why Portugal will never win sh*t.

·
Registered
765 Posts
What a 4th of July it could be... Guess if the Americans win the trophy - real football would be more popular over there...Guess also it might put Portugal's loss against the USA in another perspective...loosing against the WC is not a shame really... Don't laugh at this cos I really think that the Americans have shown a will to win like no other team - Brasil didn't impress me today. USA-England in the final? (still think Spain will win the trophy though ;) )

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Apparently Abel Xavier was rushed to the hospital after watching this game. He just kept muttering to himself, "Filha da puta".
Hey, F.R. Congrats. You were finally funny...on purpose! ;) (Except I think you meant 'filho')

It's kinda sad that this exchange is breaking down into nastier and nastier comments - since we ALL SUPPORT THE SAME TEAM, but hey, emotions are understandably high right now.

I'm not American, and yet I believe they deserved to go through more than we did. I also can't understand F.R.'s continued reference to bribery. Specifically when, how and to who? The U.S. clearly outplayed us, and worked their asses off against every other team. Ironically, the only team to so far figure out how to defeat the U.S. - is the one that did worst in our group. The Poles broke down the American attacks down the flank, and then outplayed them with superior skills in the midfield - where it's most important to do so.

The U.S. defeated us and the Mexicans by doing simple things very well. They did their homework. If you watch the Mexico/Italy game, who does Mexico remind you of? Answer? Portugal on a good day!!! They controlled the midfield, moved the ball beautifully and built up beautiful attacks. The Americans saw that. They used their physical fitness to take away Portugal's and Mexico's advantage by denying them space. Basically, they outworked their competitors.

If we had a coach with any brains, he would have done the same thing - studied our oppents' weaknesses before playing them. I prefer to believe he didn't even try to do that, because the alternative is to believe that what we saw was the result of his studied strategizing.

Lastly, in absence of proof - I'm giving Figo the benefit of the doubt - I don't believe he tried to fix anything. **** that lying Korean sonofabitch.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
You're a one trick pony, dude. How about explaining how the mighty Polish currency outbid the flagarantly shallow yankee dollar in that game? That must of been some appreciation the Polish Zloty made before the game on Thursday, eh?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Guess they didn't have to win against Poland.... they're still in the WC...

I feel bad for Portugal cos I as stated before really enjoy the Portugese kind of play - best shown at Euro 2000 - please get back to that again. And stop those stupid sendings off - it can't be everybody else's fault as this wasn't a one off thing!

Figo Rules : do you also think the UEFA is corrupt? As the end at Euro 2000 was almost identical, there must be a world conspiration against you... Amazing that Portugal became host of Euro 2004 then.....Maybe that's also a part of the conspiracy as it could be both expensive (or profitable) all depending how you handle it....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts