Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
No complaints here, he's an awesome back up. Aesthetically not my taste of a defender perhaps, but I guess this kind of consideration is quite misplaced when one plays for this Juventus.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Steph...it's tough to keep good form when you don't play regularly, especially for a defender, he's very important to Croatia in the WC whereas for Juve, if he were to leave you'd just buy another player ;)

Il Grande, he's a German type defender who had to work hard without a defensive minded team in front of him. I wonder how many of these Serie A world class defenders would pull a Walter Samuel if they went to a league where the teams weren't so defensive minded? Some food for thought.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Kovac is a good back up. Obvisouly he would better if he played all the time but he has stiff competition in cannavaro and thuram, two champions who have had stellar careers IMO.

I wonder how many of these Serie A world class defenders would pull a Walter Samuel if they went to a league where the teams weren't so defensive minded? Some food for thought.
i think that is harsh on Serie A. Becuase of Samuel not doing well at Real, it doesnt mean others would do the same. Real Madrid at that time were not the best team to join for defenders. Samuel is world class IMO even if he had a bad season or two.

Many champion defenders have had odd seasons at diferent clubs.

·
International
8,545 Posts
That's my point CUG, he's world class in Serie A but not in Spain. I'm not saying that all Serie A defenders are overrated, just that in a sense they're spoiled because of the game played in Italy. It also applies to teams outside of Italy just to a lesser extent.

Is Chelsea strong defensively because of a guy like John Terry or does he look strong because of the defensive mentality of the team? If he's world class then the standard sure dropped.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
I agree to some extent that there's sth in commong between the playstyle of a team and the performances by certain players.

But then does it mean that the italian forwards are way better than those who play outside of Italy?
Does it mean i.e. Trezeguet is God? (since Juve are pretty much defensive minded)
Does it mean that i.e. Eto'O sucks?

I guess the style is only a precondition but it's not necessary that it leads to any strong categorizations.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Well I'm not talking in such extremes and we'd have to see Trez move to Spain or Eto'o move to Italy to comment. But I don't think it's unfair to say that Trez has to work harder to score in Italy than Eto'o does in Spain. Every player is different and can handle different situations their own way but my point is that it's not so clear just how good somebody is.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Henry sucked in Italy, yes there are many reasons for this, but he has destroyed the EPL..does that mean henry is only good in england??

Bergkamp is another...played crap in serie A and not in england.

Cannavaro played great for Parma, crap for Inter and great for Juve...how do you explain that?

Beckham great for united but not so well for Real.

the defensiveness of some of the italian teams definitely helps the defenders, but that doesnt mean that they are not world class.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts