Xtratime Community banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
I'm sure most people have a few favourite teams, so you're not alone.

Please though, it is Athletic or Athletic Club, not Bilbao. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm sure most people have a few favourite teams, so you're not alone.

Please though, it is Athletic or Athletic Club, not Bilbao. :)
ah ha! i learn more everyday! duly noted. thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Aberzale
23 Posts
First post here.
First of all i can`t believe I didn`t find this forum earlier since i don`t know very good spanish or basque :D

So my story begins when i read one day article in the magazine called, "Basques, only true Europeans". Since then I`m huge basqueoholic, and since I`m mad football fan, following Athletic was more than logical choice ;).
I personally consider myself biggest Gorri-Zuria fan in Serbia :D

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Hi guys, maybe this is not the right place, but I didn't see any off-topic thread... feel free to move.

I started a new blog called Total Football, here is the link: Total football . Just in case you're interested, the first entry was about Athletic. If you don't want to visit the blog, I also opened a thread of opinion in the Spanish leagues section.

BTW, I have zero commercial interest in it.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
TOTAL FOOTBALL BLOG

History of the Spanish football (II): From 1900 to 1905
Previous chapter: The Origins

The first two decades of the 1900's were the years of the great development of football in Spain. During the last part of the 19th century and in the following years, the football clubs basically were formed by fans of the game, who were at the same time players, managers and directors of the clubs. If football was a game for middle-class university students and foreigners that were importing football from their countries, mainly United Kingdom, everything started to change during these two decades. Football reached the popular classes and the first tournaments and football associations started to appear. These first tournaments were mainly regional, but it also appeared the first national tournament, the Copa del Rey, which was the most important tournament in Spain during the first decades of the 20th century. In this entry, we will refer to the first 5 years of the 1900s, when the first competitions of the Spanish football were born.

1900-1901

Copa Macaya (Campionat de Catalunya)

The first official tournament was the Copa Macaya, which is considered (and accepted officially) as the roots of the future Campionat de Catalunya, and it was played during the first half of the year. Alfons Macaya, honorific president of Hispania AC, one of the clubs of Barcelona, decided to create a tournament using a league system, which ended up having his own name. On paper, it was not meant to be a tournament only for Catalan clubs, but the clubs from Madrid and the Balearic Islands declined the offer due to the big travel expenses in times. At the end, only 6 clubs registered, 5 from Barcelona and 1 from Tarragona: Hispania AC, FC Barcelona, Club Español (nowadays RCD Español), AUF Tarragona, Club Franco-Español and SD Santanach.

[...] Click on the link above if you want to know more about the first victories of Athletic in their history!

Thanks

·
Registered
947 Posts
Also I am totally new here.
Well, I think it's hard to explain why I am fan of Athletic, because I am not a Basque and I do not have any ancestors from there. But somehow I think, this shouldn't matter allthough it makes explaining my love a lot more difficult.
It's a kind of "Basque feeling"... hard to understand, I know, especially I am not.. and of course Athletic's policy really impressed me. It is such a perfect club only using Basque players and never went down to the secound division.

I love Athletic, I really do. There's not even another team of my home country that I support. There's only Athletic for me...
It is the one and only perfect club - for me...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Also I am totally new here.
Well, I think it's hard to explain why I am fan of Athletic, because I am not a Basque and I do not have any ancestors from there. But somehow I think, this shouldn't matter allthough it makes explaining my love a lot more difficult.
It's a kind of "Basque feeling"... hard to understand, I know, especially I am not.. and of course Athletic's policy really impressed me. It is such a perfect club only using Basque players and never went down to the secound division.

I love Athletic, I really do. There's not even another team of my home country that I support. There's only Athletic for me...
It is the one and only perfect club - for me...
welcome! There is absolutely something different about this club that can be felt anywhere in the world, with no prior basque experience necessary. Just think, you're not a glory hunter and are able to be part of a club that goes beyond the soccer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just think, you're not a glory hunter and are able to be part of a club that goes beyond the soccer.
Firesox, that was well said. My grandfather was basque and that's why I came upon the club. But I have little connection otherwise, and you helped me to realize why I am an Athletic fan. It's too easy to like Barca, Real or ManU. Anyone who is risk adverse can like teams that always have the big money. Athletic give us something to cheer for that are at the core of what sport is about--Real competition with loyalty and dignity.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Thank you so much for your nice words. ;)
knowwonnose
Arrieta and
Firesox

I have also seen other people from different countries liking Athletic but they all had a favourite team in their homecountry as well. That's different with me, I only support Athletic.
It's great to know, that my feeling is also accepted allthough I am not a Basque.

I am really not a glory hunter, but Athletic has its own special glory.. ;)

61 - 80 of 119 Posts