Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When they have one of the most average squads out of all the 32 teams who started this competition. Only a couple of stand out names, a few more good ones then a whole host of overpayed crap has somehow got them through to the semi.

Admittedly they have been lucky to meet teams at the right time. An equal first group where they had a very very poor Depor in there at the time, now Depor would possibly beat Liverpool. Second round an out of form Leverkusen then in the quarters...well there has been no better time this season to meet Juventus who since the internationals have looked disorganised and out of place.

Well unless CHelsea blow up like Juve, Liverpool will at least be knocked out in the next stage, otherwise we could have another Greece on our hands and I cant take no more of this crap!

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Well, you see first they qualified from their group. Then they thrashed Leverkusen over two legs and were drawn against Juventus. They beat Juventus and voila, Liverpool FC is in the semi finals, thus completing the "Story of Scouse".

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Liverpool got through because they were better, enough with the sour grapes. :) I'd be embarassed to say things like that if I were you. Leverkusen were unbeaten at home before we played them, they played off the park teams like Real Madrid, Roma and Kiev and then people said 'we were lucky' to draw them. Then we got Juve, one of the top 3-4 teams left in the competition. We played better in both games with a depleted squad including our best player and we still got through.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Deano said:
When they have one of the most average squads out of all the 32 teams who started this competition. Only a couple of stand out names, a few more good ones then a whole host of overpayed crap has somehow got them through to the semi.

Admittedly they have been lucky to meet teams at the right time. An equal first group where they had a very very poor Depor in there at the time, now Depor would possibly beat Liverpool. Second round an out of form Leverkusen then in the quarters...well there has been no better time this season to meet Juventus who since the internationals have looked disorganised and out of place.

Well unless CHelsea blow up like Juve, Liverpool will at least be knocked out in the next stage, otherwise we could have another Greece on our hands and I cant take no more of this crap!
Is it Liverpool's fault Juve has an overrated player like Del Pierro who can't score if his life depend ot. They needed a win yesterday and they couldn't trouble us not even once. They made Dudeck and Traore look world class.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
you win at home like a good team is supposed to and then do what is needed in the next game...simple.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is not sour grapes. It is just menot understanding how a team with NUnez, Traore, Finnan, Biscan and the rest reach the CL semis! I mean it gives every European club hope if this is the case! Its clear to me football is not the same. Stars do not win you games anymore, because if Juve's stars lose to this Liverpool team, well they should not be stars in the first place.

BTW this was no way DP's fault over 2 legs. Nedved and Emerson were clearly the worst players in both legs for Juve.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Porto at least had a class team with players who had technqiue and ability!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Porto had better players than Liverpool, When you compare Juve and last seasons Porto they are actully have more creative talent.

Juve is a big name but really these days anyone can go far in the CL. Alot of it has to do with the luck of the draw. I say if Liverpool drew either of the Milanese sides they would of been played off the park. Inter v Milan derby should of been played later on in the competition.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Deano said:
Porto at least had a class team with players who had technqiue and ability!
Well I thought that goal by Garcia last week was full of technique and ability :) Really funny to hear Italian fan saying things like that, Juve are used to win games 1:0 from some set-piece goal or opponent's mistake playing with much better players then what Liverpool have.

Liverpool played better then their opponents, that's how they got through. Big names don't win matches for you anymore, as for hope for every team I thought Porto and Greece already did that. Surely Liverpool isn't worse then both.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Class players? Gerrard, Alonso, Carragher, Hamann, Baros, Garcia, Cisse, Riise, Hyypia not forgetting El Moro who is unfortunatly cup tied. We have a good first team, granted not as good as Chelsea or AC Milan, it's just the squad what lets us down we have to resort to bringing on players such as Nunez and Smicer.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Juve are better than Liverpool and Livepool players a great first leg, but this is not my point!

My point is that in a big match Juve had no heart or determination, these are supposedly stars and they did nothing!

Along with this Liverpool have a really average side, especially with injuries and they have managed to reach the semi!

This Liverpool team couldnt clean the boots of the Liverpool side from 20 years ago and my opinion is that it should be more than grit and determination that gets you to the CL semi, Liverpool dont really have much class, and for them to be in the semi is poor for Europe as a whole! Same goes with PSV really!

Bring on the copa Libetadores :rolleyes:

As I said, this CL season has once more proved to me that star players do not exist anymore. Only tactics and balance exists, Juve have that but of course it went missing for the last fortnight. Once that went missing, their individuals were useless!

No more Maradona, Zico, Baggio, Van Basten, no more!

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
To be fair PSV have made it just as far and nobody is making a thread complaining about them.

I think the 2nd round draw had a big part to do with it. Alot of the fancied teams drew each other, leaving the likes of Bremen, Lyon, Monaco, Leverkusen, PSV, Liverpool all matched against each other. PSV took full advantage of this and with ties like Bayern-Chelsea and Milan-Inter have had hardly any pressure on their passage through. Now in the semis and most fully expecting a Milan-Chelsea final (the best final we would have in years I might add with the actual two best teams in europe facing off in it) they have absolutely no pressure and could cause a suprise.

Lets not forget that they also have a manager who is extremely good in knockout situations, Uefa Cup winner last year and already taken liverpool to a final in two leg situation.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gerrard, Alonso, Carragher, Hamann, Baros, Garcia, Cisse, Riise, Hyypia not forgetting El Moro

exactly, Moro is not apart of your CL SQUAD!

Alonso been inured for a long time, same with Cisse! Riise only has a good shot and some discipline, but is hardly great, Hyppia is past it but can have the odd good night like last night. Carragher once more is not that great, whenever Juve got near him in both legs he crapped himself but he got away with it more to Juve's bad play. Garcia quality but hardly world class. Baros inconsistent. Gerrard and Hamann I like, but Hamann also has had his best days gone!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It's like SM says Liverpool has some fantastic players, especially when you throw in Morientes and if Cisse can still run properly after the injury. Maybe they lack depth like he says too, but at full strength it's pretty good.

Deano, even if an average team can make the semi's (PSV ???) i'm tipping that that's a good sign for us. We have the same problem as the 'Pool in that our bench can be shocking at times, but with everyone fit we could put a fairly decent side on the park too.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Deano said:
Carragher once more is not that great, whenever Juve got near him in both legs he crapped himself but he got away with it more to Juve's bad play.
You didn't watch the game did you? Like them weird ratings you posted in the Juve forum about the Juve players in the first leg

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Roma has about as good a team as Liverpool with the excpetion of us not having ALonso!

Liverpool's team is average, especially their CL team. They have a good midfield but even this has not been fully fit all season and Biscan and Nunez have been used often!

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
cup competitions, not always the best teams get the furthest. :shades:

a better question would be "how the fuk are Juve near the top of Serie A" ? every time i see this team i want to throw myself off a bridge they are so scruffy.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts