Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen him play to be honest except for the Italy vs Spain friendly,He looked great in that match.But I haven't seen enough of him to know what he's really like,Can you guys give me a better input Thanx. ;)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
He is the best young spanish striker, for me the best in the world!

He has a goal percentage in La Liga over 50%. He is the best scorer of Atléti, he is fast, with a great skills. (dribbling, shooting, headers, etc.)

Well in my opinion he will become one of the best strikers ever ... similar to van Basten!

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Husk hopefully I can get to see more of Torres. :)

·
Registered
70,341 Posts
That´s a biased vision I think hehe...A lot of Spanish fans think that he´s a bit overrated, and it´s true that the Madrid press likes to overrate some young players. Anyways he´s a striker with many good things, he´s strong and fast, good headers, good right foot (he must improve his left foot)...but we are talking about a 20 years old player. He uses to miss the clear chances (I mean one to one with the keeper) and to score with just one touch after a cross.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
???

Sorry?

In 1 vs 1 situations he is very good ... and he is great in spectacular and very very difficult goals ... you are right ... sometimes he need 5 chances to score ... but normaly he is very very good and hitting the net IN the goal!!!

Husky

PS: Don't forget he is mostly alone against 2-3 defenders and his teammates are suxxing totaly ... especially the wingers :s

I mean with players like Figo, Zidane or Ronaldo it is very easy to score 20 goals a year, but he is doing the same with Atlético!

·
Registered
70,341 Posts
No, he´s not so good in one to one vs the keepers. Yes, it´s easier to score the goals in R.Madrid but I find funny how some fans try sometimes to justify Torres saying that he plays alone vs 2-3 defenders. A lot of strikers are forced to do that too.

On the other hand, I´m not saying that Torres is bad player. He´s a great prospect and I hope he can improve some things to become a fantastic player.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Think Torres is a great player already but playing at ATLETI is already taking a toll on him because of the great responsabilities he has in that team, not to mention the fact that he is surrounded by not very good players. I am ATLETICO but I think that if the giloMAFIA doesn't improve the team, Torres either leaves or his game will be damaged.

Hi Husky, I'm ROJiblanco at Señales.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Back with my real nick. I felt bad using a different one.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
He is scary good.

Fernando Torres is NOT overrated. Anybody who is merely 20 years of age but is the captain of his hometown team with an incredible goals tally can't be overrated.

He deserves all the hype he gets.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
GICA said:
No, he´s not so good in one to one vs the keepers. Yes, it´s easier to score the goals in R.Madrid but I find funny how some fans try sometimes to justify Torres saying that he plays alone vs 2-3 defenders. A lot of strikers are forced to do that too.

On the other hand, I´m not saying that Torres is bad player. He´s a great prospect and I hope he can improve some things to become a fantastic player.
The problem of Torres is not being alone against 3 defenders, his problem is his own team. Fernando Torres is the only player that would play in the Atlético that I know since I was a kid.

Atlético always had great players and nowadays they don't have them... I guess that they can't pay them. The truth is that the only player of Atlético that could be considered "world class" is Torres. The rest are better or worse, but definitely they're not class players.

I always recall that Futre-Schuster couple; the Atleti of the "doblete" with the amazing Caminero (his dribbling in the Camp Nou with Nadal on his back was unbelievable), Kiko, the young and angry Simeone, "friky" Pantic, Lubo Penev,...; even the year that they felt to Segunda their team was uncredible: Molina, Baraja, Valerón, Jimmy Pichichi Hasselbaink, Solari, etc. Okay... they went to Segunda, but we all know why, it wasn't for lack of quality.

Going back to topic, Torres still has things to improve and I agree with GICA. He must improve the 1 vs 1, Torres has a good dribbling, he's fast and his mentality is great... but he must cool his brain in the last mts. He's young and he'll learn to do it, but he's still a little bit chaotic in that moment. He's better when he doesn't have to think, he has a good shot and a good header... but when he has time to think, he makes a mess. In any case, he's definitely an amazing player.

Besides, I think that he's not a pure 9. He feels much better with a partner than alone. When Atleti has played with only one striker, he tends to disappear. Torres gave his best version when he had Nikolaidis last season or Salva or Paunovic this season.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:
He is scary good.

Fernando Torres is NOT overrated. Anybody who is merely 20 years of age but is the captain of his hometown team with an incredible goals tally can't be overrated.

agree

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I've said before, he is a guy with alot of good charachteristics but since he tries to show off like 4 or 5 that he doesn't have (i.e. playing 3 other positions), it looks really bad on him so people don't understand the full picture. When this guy gets on a team where all he has to do is get the ball near the area, take it into the area and score, he will be among the best very easily.

To compare him to someone right now, another guy who I've become an admirer off is Lucho Gonzalez on River. The difference is Lucho is playing in a league where the players around him are at the same level as he is, so what you see is what you get. El Nino hasn't had that oppurtunity at Club Level yet.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:
He is scary good.

I agree!

The kid really is something special!

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Arsenal forward Jose Antonio Reyes has urged Arsene Wenger to bring Fernando Torres to Highbury.

The Atletico Madrid starlet is widely regarded to be one of the most exciting prospects in world football and has caught admiring glances from a host of Europe's biggest clubs.

Reyes has first hand experience of Torres' talent after playing with the 20-year-old for Spain and against him, when he played in La Liga with Sevilla.

One of Torres' primary suitors are reportedly Manchester United and Reyes is desperate for his compatriot not to end up at Old Trafford.

''I have told Arsene Wenger he should try to sign Torres in 2005,'' said Reyes.

''He is the best youngster in Spain and will be one of the best players around over the next few years.

''We can't allow United to sign him.''

----

Pity it'd never happen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
another good player who media/people have over-rated to an extent that anybody who's heard of him will put pressure on this kid and expect him to be future's best player just like they did with Van Der Vaart... and look at how hot he's been for past 2 years.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
He's not too bad (so is Van der vaart, mind you.)

Seeing how he tried this morning, it was only sad that Iker denied him several times. He was really, really trying very hard.

Perhaps that's what that distinguishes young, ambitious stars - they are really determined.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Xue said:
He's not too bad (so is Van der vaart, mind you.)

Seeing how he tried this morning, it was only sad that Iker denied him several times. He was really, really trying very hard.

Perhaps that's what that distinguishes young, ambitious stars - they are really determined.
I think that no one denies his will and effort, but if you pretend to be big, this is not enough. A great striker must score 1 chance out of 3 or 4. Fernando Torres wasted like 10 balls in the box, 4 or 5 of them were very clear. Ronaldo had 2 balls and scored 2 goals, Fernando had 10 and he didn't score.

I'm not saying that he's not a good player and he's going to score 15 goals, but his head is not cool enough to define his chances. He needs too much to score a goal. Preciselly it's this fact what makes him unable to be considered among the best and that's why I don't see him doing great in a big club. In any case, he's still young... but he must improve.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts