Xtratime Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard some people go as far as to say that Paul Gascoigne could have been the next Maradona. I think that's utterly ridiculous, but nevertheless, he was extremely talented. 90-91 he peaked, and he was one of the better players in the world at that point.

How good could he have been if not for injuries and booze?

·
Registered
48,744 Posts
Not sure about injuries, but anything else is in my opinion strictly related to the qualities of the football players.

·
Registered
41,450 Posts
The truth is England hardly ever produce players with flair and great technical ability. Even nowadays it's more physical than anything else. This is why they hype the few that do have this ability.

·
Registered
18,605 Posts
The truth is England hardly ever produce players with flair and great technical ability. Even nowadays it's more physical than anything else. This is why they hype the few that do have this ability.
seems to be changing based on the technical players available now to England (Euro 2020)

·
Registered
14,732 Posts
I remember being quite shocked at how good he was during Euro 96', and he likely was a shadow of his best then, though clearly he had a bit of renaissance during those years, I think playing for Rangers after a pretty bad injury at Lazio?

·
*the drum drum*
43,692 Posts
I think he could have been a bit better than he ended up being, just for a longer period of time.

Let's not stop and pretend he was Garrincha just because the English are dying to have someone to throw into the mix with the best footballers of all time.

·
Registered
41,450 Posts
seems to be changing based on the technical players available now to England (Euro 2020)
Who do you like in that regard? Not Grealish surely? 😀

Only one who showed promise was Sancho, but he's flopping pretty hard right now. Guys like Rashford, Saka, Sterling are at least 70% about pace and 30 everything else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think he could have been a bit better than he ended up being, just for a longer period of time.

Let's not stop and pretend he was Garrincha just because the English are dying to have someone to throw into the mix with the best footballers of all time.
That's always been my feeling as well.

And the English have Bobby Charlton, who is one of the greatest of all time. But a lot of Gazza fans probably have never seen Charlton.

·
Registered
18,605 Posts
Who do you like in that regard? Not Grealish surely? 😀

Only one who showed promise was Sancho, but he's flopping pretty hard right now. Guys like Rashford, Saka, Sterling are at least 70% about pace and 30 everything else.
wasn't there a skinny dude with dyed hair?

Foden and Mount

they seem to be more promising as a nation than Italy anyway, in terms of producing talents without too much compromise in talent and physical abilities

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Foden has the potential to be special.

Gascoigne was much better than Grealish.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48,744 Posts

Foden and Mount

they seem to be more promising as a nation than Italy anyway, in terms of producing talents without too much compromise in talent and physical abilities
Had you talked about other countries I could agree but... England!?

·
Registered
Valencia CF
427 Posts
The future is very bright.

World Cup final appearance maybe on the horizon.

·
*the drum drum*
43,692 Posts
If England we’re going to make a World Cup final any time soon, they’d have done so in 2018 instead of losing to Croatia.

·
Registered
41,450 Posts

Foden and Mount

True, Foden might really be special. Mount is good, but not great IMO.

They've definitely improved, but still lack the most important part of a team, the midfield. Say what you want about both teams, but in midfield it's not even close, and this is far from the best Italy have produced. So just imagine how big the gap used to be.

·
Registered
18,605 Posts
True, Foden might really be special. Mount is good, but not great IMO.

They've definitely improved, but still lack the most important part of a team, the midfield. Say what you want about both teams, but in midfield it's not even close, and this is far from the best Italy have produced. So just imagine how big the gap used to be.
Agreed about the midfield entirely, but I don't see England struggle to qualify for tournaments like Italy has recently.

·
Registered
48,744 Posts
Agreed about the midfield entirely, but I don't see England struggle to qualify for tournaments like Italy has recently.
Please compare the groups of England and Italy in the last two world cup qualifiers. In 2018 Italy had Spain! And as regards 2022 Switzerland > Poland in the FIFA ranking. Without considering the choking masterpiece with Jorginho missing two penalties vs Switzerland. I can agree with Immobile and Insigne being piss poor when compared to other Italian forwards of the past but I don't see world beaters in the English attack either or they wouldn't have failed to defeat Italy in the Euro final at Wembley.

·
Registered
48,177 Posts
Gazza had generational talent but it's hard to separate the madness from the genius. He had the benefit of being inspired by and taking cues from geniuses like Best, Maradona, etc. But he had the curse of being in a generation of English boozers, with Gazza being so indulgent that he could make Ozzy Osbourne look straight edge. If he'd cleaned himself up reasonably, I think his career should have been at least as good as Rooney's. Gazza was way more talented.

Reactions: RSenal7
1 - 19 of 19 Posts