Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think maybe Quarter-Finals or Semi-Finals but i don't think we can make it to the finals ! Also does anyone know if england qualify on first or second who the will verse ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
With group opponents such as Nigeria, Sweden and especially the very in-form Argentina, England I believe wont go past the 1st group stage and if they do, it will be a tight squeeze. Sweden are also very in-form and i believe that they will be hard for England to beat. Nigeria however have been having some problems with management and players in recent times so perhaps they will be the only team in which England will beat. England are in a very difficult group but unlukily for England supporters they will not go very far.

By the way, for all your World Cup fixtures and details to answer your question (Who will England play if they DO go through), see:

"http://www.countrylife.co.uk/worldsoccer/worldcuppage.html"

GO ARGENTINA!!!

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Steaua Fan NYC said:
I think maybe Quarter-Finals or Semi-Finals but i don't think we can make it to the finals ! Also does anyone know if england qualify on first or second who the will verse ?
First of all I wouldn't be so sure that England will get passed the first round.
Seond, IF they would succeed and finish 2nd after Argentina, they'd most prolly meet France. Which would mean arvoir Angleterre :dielaugh:
If a miracle does come true and you'll end up 1st, you'll meet either Denmark or Uruguay.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
England have the team to cause upsets, but unfortunately, the draw has not been kind to them. Even finishing second in the group will of course pit them against France in the second round. But before the second round they have a really tough task of getting out of this group. The first game against Sweden on June 2 in Saitama is crucial. Anything less than a win will put them in big trouble.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
Sapporo concerns ahead of England-Argentina clash

SAPPORO, May 24 -

The closer World Cup, the bigger security problems are. The problems with hooliganism and terrorism come to the fore ahead of the World Cup. Nearly all the Korean and Japanese cities are troubled with such concerns and Sapporo has, probably, the major headache among all.
According to Daily Yomiuri, the residents of Sapporo have more on their mind than the quality of their seafood, which is excellent in this city: hooliganism is the issue of the day, or more specifically, for this World Cup.

It should be mentioned that the residents of this laid-back city have to be concerned as archrivals Argentina and England meet in Sapporo Dome on June 7.

"We are happy to host such a good game in Sapporo but on the other hand it could be difficult for us," says Kazuaki Yamagata, manager of the city's promotion office for the 2002 World Cup.

"Argentina and England have had a political and military conflict with each other in the not-too-distant past and we are worried about potential hooliganism. So, in that sense, this match will get a lot of attention from all over the world.

"We have a responsibility to control and manage the game very carefully. We don't expect there to be so many hooligans coming to Sapporo but, at the same time, the police have to expect the worst situation."

So, Japanese police must try to avoid the same story took place for years ago in France ahead of England's first game, when running battles were fought on the streets of Marseille ahead of the nation's match against Tunisia.

"The media has been full of reports about hooligan violence and that has worried the average person here," continues Yamagata. "Right now the atmosphere is half scared and half excited. But in the future we hope the local people will feel no fear and they will be able to go about their regular daily life during the tournament.

"Some people will have to deal with the fans as part of their business but hopefully everything will be peaceful."

Despite the tensed situation that could be observed before the match, there are no plans to restrict the sale of alcohol on match days. The city's nightlife district, Susukino, will be the obvious scene for all pre- and post-match activity. The linguistic problems may cause troubles for foreign fans, there is a concern that they could be misinterpreted as causing trouble in a city that is so on edge.

Western visitors are not too common in Sapporo, which is something of a surprise given the city's size and status as Hokkaido's administrative center. And, while the people are friendly and helpful, the language barrier will remain a tough one to overcome.

"We have many tourists coming here, especially from Southeast Asia and other countries in the region, but this time we are expecting many people from Europe and South America," says Yamagata. "These are new countries for us so it's a good chance for Sapporo city to promote itself to the world.

"We have held various international events in Sapporo in the past so we would like to take this opportunity to show Sapporo as an international city."

The most unique thing with Sapporo is Dome where the World Cup games will be held.

While the World Cup has been played indoors before--in 1994 in the United States, when the Pontiac Silverdome in Detroit hosted four matches--Sapporo Dome brings its own unique feature to the concept.

The stadium's pitch will be "hovered" into the Dome using the world's first air hovering mobile system after spending the last few months outside the venue, being exposed to as much sunlight as possible while being protected from the harsh Hokkaido winter. So, the supporters will be able to observe something quite new and unique they haven't seen before.

:cool::cap::cool:

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Much depends of Nigeria. If that team is on form England can forget passing the group stage. If they manage to pass Nigeria who can tell where they will end? Personally i hope they will flunk big time :D

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
IMO Nigeria has just been impressing more and more since the African Nations Cup, while England is going in the opposite direction.
I mean beating Ireland away is not a easy task, but the nigerians did, pretty convincingly aswell, not even fielding their best team.
While England drew against Korea, sure home support might've helped, but it wont be good enuff in the group of death.

One month ago if wou'd ask me who'd progress I'd say Argentina and England. No I'm not so sure, even Sweden might cause some upsets now :excited:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Sweden are also very in-form
Your joking right ?

Anyway back to the topic.
Your kidding yourself if you can think England can make it to the semi's with the never ending injury list, potentially 3 key midfielders are missing, Beckham, Dyer and Gerrard and we have no players who are capable of filling thier place.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you want to know what will happen to England in this World Cup, just go back and see what happened to them in the Euro U21 championships...

Going into the Tourney, David Platt was cock sure that his team will make it to the finals.

...guess what happened?

They did not make it past the group stages.

I read a lot of English press, and for some reason, they are so SURE that it is them and Argentina going through...

If the result of their U21 team made up of Premier league players can't hack it with their contemporaries, what makes them think they are suddenly going to become world beaters?

·
International
9,526 Posts
gOD said:
Much depends of Nigeria. If that team is on form England can forget passing the group stage. If they manage to pass Nigeria who can tell where they will end? Personally i hope they will flunk big time :D
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
England might pass through the group stages but i dont think they can go any further.. well they dont have the quality to go through....... and besides the Japanese and the Chinese are not to be takenn lightly of.....they can surprise us with them playing at home......

·
Registered
862 Posts
2nd round...

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
http://sportnetwork.net/main/s75/st4623.php

England World Cup Chances

What hope do we as England fans have for success over the next 4 weeks or so?

As England fans, we always seem to fancy our chances of going all the way but this year is that a realistic chance? I think so.

We are now beginning to see a ray of light at the end of the tunnel on the injury front, and a full strength England is surely not one to be taken lightly.

We have quality throughout the team.

What can you say about Owen that hasn't been said before? Pace, intelligence, and a devastating eye for goal.

Beckham will be providing the balls for Owen to run onto. Becks has built up a lot of respect since taking the role as captain, and hopefully he can win over his knockers with a great World Cup to make up for his sending off against the Argies in the 1998 Tournament.

In defence to centre-back roles are filled with solid defenders. Rio Ferdinand and Sol Campbell are as solid as they come, but the pair have not played many games together, and this is something when needing a good solid defence. If anything is going to be a problem in the World Cup then it will be our defence.

A defence always feels better though with a solid goalkeeper behind them. And even though Seaman is knocking on, he still is a excellent keeper. Don't forget that he has just won the double this season with Arsenal. If Seaman ends up with an injury then Leeds United's Nigel Martyn will deputise. Between the two of them the average age is 37 but I feel confident in both of them.

So we have looked at the players, but what about our opposition.

Well, I personally don't think we have anything to worry too much about in the group stage. Everyone keeps mentioning how the Argentina game is the big game. I don't think we need to worry about the Argies. They have recalled striker Claudio Caniggia, who is 35 and plying his trade in Scotland. This shows that they are not so great.

The team I worry about in the group stage is Sweden. They have a World Class player in Freddie Ljungberg who I predict will be one of the stars of the Tournament. But do they have class all over the pitch? They have another star up front in Henrik Larsson. But he is another playing football in Scotland. This has not stopped him performing brilliantly for his Country. We have not beaten the Swedes since 1968.

There is no doubting the quality that Nigeria hold, but their preparations have not been helped by unrest amongst the players. Although they do hold quality, they don't hold it in depth and this could be the stumbling block. Arsenal's Kanu will be their main threat, but even at Arsenal he hasn't been able to perform and hold down a regular place in the first team.

I think we have what it needs to finish top of the group, and no I have not been drinking. The Argies are over-rated, the Nigerians are not backed up in depth with quality, and we will be too good for the Swedes.

Not only do I think we will finish top of the group but I also think we can go all the way to the final. There is no doubting that our group is very hard. But to become World beaters and win the big tournaments, you have to beat the best. If the Argies are one of the best in the World, then we have nothing to fear.

If we can keep clear of injuries, and we get that little bit of luck that Champions need, then come afternoon on Sunday the 20th of June we are going have a bigger street party than any Queens Jubilee could ever have.

:cool:

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
I don't see England coming out of the 1st stage. A team with many injuries and they don't work as a unit. England is where I am from and they have never impresssed me and come across as very boring. Their 2 world stars Beckham and Owen, and Beckham will miss the Sweden game most probably. Owen can finish but England have many big names, but as a team they are poor.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Colocolo, you CANNOT be English. You made your points eloquently...

England has a chance whether it be minute or good or even great, they have a chance...

But unlike the English press, I don't think it is automatic.

On Nigeria, Kanu is NOT the main man for Nigeria, Jay Jay is... Jay Jay will make you forget Kanu's sublime skills in a hurry and he has a higher work rate than Kanu... The guy you should be looking out for is the Striker Julius Aghahowa... Kanu will do his usual bag of tricks, but JayJay will light the stage on fire baring injury...

I am glad Becks is feeling better... I would hate for any footballer to miss the mundial due to injury... you only get a few cracks at putting your name in WC lore.

May the better team win.

·
International
9,526 Posts
cannavaro77 said:
I don't see England coming out of the 1st stage. A team with many injuries and they don't work as a unit. England is where I am from and they have never impresssed me and come across as very boring. Their 2 world stars Beckham and Owen, and Beckham will miss the Sweden game most probably. Owen can finish but England have many big names, but as a team they are poor.

:rolleyes:

·
International
9,526 Posts
1-1-GoalessDraw said:
Colocolo, you CANNOT be English. You made your points eloquently...

But unlike the English press, I don't think it is automatic.

Whether England win or not, is a question of prepartion, opportunity and belief. It is not a forgone conclusion, nor is it foretold. We do not believe ourselves superior, we do not hold ourselves in higher esteem than our fellow competitors. We have no need. Our strength comes from our belief in ourselves, not a need to insult and defame our rivals. Which sadly, can not be said of other countries and their fans.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fred Elliot said:

We do not believe ourselves superior, we do not hold ourselves in higher esteem than our fellow competitors... not a need to insult and defame our rivals. Which sadly, can not be said of other countries and their fans.
Elliot, only if that was the case. I have read and visited the forums of other group F teams, without prejudice, the English sites are full of xenophobic comments more than any site on the web...

Anger and backlash from other teams come from reading the English commentary about them. And one has to pinch himself to remind one of Englands last achievement in World football to feel this arrogant.

I don't hate the English team... I wish the English media would stop cutting down on other teams.

·
International
9,526 Posts
1-1-GoalessDraw said:

Elliot, only if that was the case. I have read and visited the forums of other group F teams, without prejudice, the English sites are full of xenophobic comments more than any site on the web...

Anger and backlash from other teams come from reading the English commentary about them. And one has to pinch himself to remind one of Englands last achievement in World football to feel this arrogant.

I don't hate the English team... I wish the English media would stop cutting down on other teams.
you miss the point. This is the media you are talking about. Not the fan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts