·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sucks :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It was a great WC if you ask me. The only thing I did not like was the time difference, I live in the US and the games were too early. Also for the next WC fifa has to do some things with officiating. That was the other bad thing bad reffering. If it was up to me I would ask Colina to officiate every game:) . But Korea and Japan were a great host and it was a great WC.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think its a great WC. Some of the games werent so great (i.e. Germany-Paraguay) but many of the games were truely exciting. Also some of the goals have been truely spectacular. The amount and quality of the stadiums in which the games have taken place have been outstanding. Also we have seen the revelation of many quality players and teams. The fans have also been exceptional, i was worried initially when Korea and Japan were chosen to host the WC that the stadiums would be barren but as we have seen they have been filled (except for a few games when the tickets were screwed up) and also the crowds have been very participative and peacful. The scene at the end of the Korea-Turkey match was also great, a true example of fair play.

Ok enough of the good things. I think the most important thing that this WC has shown us is that players are playing too many games. Now I dont think thats the main reason many european teams got knocked out, but one of the factors that resulted in their elimination. Its interesting to note though that Germany reached the final and many of their players are from Bayer, who played every competition to the last game. Basically I think to cut down the number of games they can do these 3 things:
1. get rid of useless competitions like Copa Italia, Copa del Rey etc., where anyway now the main teams use mainly subs
2. reduce CL to the size it was before, making the tournament more exclusive and games more fun to watch (but i doubt this will happen because more CL means more $$$)
3. reduce the size of first divisions to maybe 14-16 teams
Another thing that wasnt up to par was the refereeing. I dont think just using European referees is the solution, they have to start using video replays.
Also more coordination between FIFA and UEFA would be nice so that the players can get more time to rest and prepare for the WC, maybe a month or month and a half since, afterall the fans wait for 4 years for this event.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
It has been good, but truthfully I enjoyed France 98 better. Mainly because Holland were in that one :depress:

·
Registered
461 Posts
i have enjoyed this world cup...if croatia would have done better...i would have enjoyed it much more!...i liked france better though

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
This WC is a big Joke.....treat it like a comedy... the best actor/s is Rivaldo + Moreno

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Apart from the ref's controversies or the conspiracy theory, I find this world cup has been superbly entertaining. :)

When will you see the 'big boys' like France and Argentina fail to qualify from the group stage? When will you see an Asian team making it to the semi-final? When will you get to see all those cool hair-dos? :) :D

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
i enjoyed the world cup, it was exciting, well run, great atmosphere at Korea and Japan games....

however, so far (barring the final) there has not been 1 great game, which was exciting as well as showing top class football and tactics....every world cup tends to have 2 or 3 of these, but i've not really seen one this tournament - there has been no classic world cup game this year

·
Registered
46,986 Posts
Entertaining. There was a great balance. It's a pity that the referees were not good (not all, at least). There were many teams which I really liked, Turkey in particular.
There was not a Maradona or a Pelè, but I think that there were a lot of very good players in each position.
Argentina, France and Italy deserved to be eliminated soon, they played a bad football, very bad.... and Italy above all must change mentality.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Two days ago I would call this WC disappointing, now I call it bittersweet.

It was still a World Cup suffered from a over long European season. FIFA mismanagement; imbalance draw; bone head decisions of Bielsa, Lemerre, and Trap.; and above all, dismal refereeing standard (as worse as, if not worse than 1982).

On the other hand, there are plenty of surprise underdogs. Some very dramatic matches; and the most surprising of all, a two-acts classical finale (an exiting and ultimately heart-warming 3rd place play-off; a good final match where attacking football triumph, and Ronaldo laid his ghost to rest).

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Definitely not a great one :depress:! But today's final helped with the positive view on it thoug ;).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts