Xtratime Community banner

From 1 to 10...

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Maccabi Tel Aviv's CL campaign has come to an end. After the draw was made, we realised this was going to be the group of death and Maccabi would be lucky to grab a point or two. But this group wasn't quite even close, Juventus was the clear group winner while Ajax was a major dissapointment. Maccabi could've finished third too and was in third place for some parts in the final matchday but an equaliser by Del Piero made sure Ajax gets the UEFA Cup spot.

I think Maccabi did OK. Nothing amazing, we've seen some bad moments from them especially in offense, but at least in the home games and possibly in the away match in Torino they did fine, losing to Juve 1:0 is no shame. The Bayern match left a taste of a miss as Bayern didn't do well and got their only goal from a penalty. The Ajax match was the first win and against Juventus it was the first goal Juve conceded, and surely a draw with them is not a bad result either. ;) Still, Maccabi's lack of offense hurt the team, 1-2 more goals could've given them the third place. But considering Maccabi is a young team as it is and its their first ever CL campaign I will give them a 6.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Maccabi played as Well as anyone expected. They were going up against 3 clubs with huge budgets, while Maccabi's entire budget was equal to Juve's top 2 players. I am convinced that if Maccabi were in any other group, they would have made the UEFA Cup and maybe a the knock out stage. Maccabi would have rather played Sparta than Ajax, or Lyon than Bayern Munich.

From their performance, some Maccabi players will be sold overseas. Reis, T. Cohen, Mishaelof, Dego and Strull are players that could be sold to larger European clubs. But with the transfer fees, maccabi can go out and get players like, Rosso, Balili, Afek, Haim, Prok.....(that Latvain striker) or Konstintinau (from (Panathinaikos). And Hopefully they can get back that Nigerian youth player that "escaped" to Nigeria.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
They didn't do so bad....
But once u come to think of it, some teams like bayern almost ripped them apart.

I personally have mixed feelings on the basis that they had these good games, especially against Ajax and they had poor ones against Bayern.... Maccabi was keeping track and in the end this is what happened.

I don't know why people are so happy that they tied or Juventus. That goal was a penatly and a very controversial one too!!! sure they had a chance to win it, even get a 2-0 lead, but they didn't..

Overall, the team made its money but not its effort and it got eliminated. It tried to do good, but it failed in the end.......

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
I gave Maccabi a 6. I couldn't put more because they finished last in the group, but anyways it was a good campaign IMO being in a group with three big champions of european football and still having chance to a Uefa Cup spot in the last round and the only team to score aginst Juventus is good. Also another intresting point is that almost all the players were Israeli which proves that we can do it also without an invasion of foreigners in the squad. the players are young with a bright future and the gained an unique experience. besides the cash Maccabi made, they could put some firepower upfront bringing up some strikers and offensive midfielders.

·
Registered
405 Posts
berko said:
I gave Maccabi a 6. I couldn't put more because they finished last in the group, but anyways it was a good campaign IMO being in a group with three big champions of european football and still having chance to a Uefa Cup spot in the last round and the only team to score aginst Juventus is good. Also another intresting point is that almost all the players were Israeli which proves that we can do it also without an invasion of foreigners in the squad. the players are young with a bright future and the gained an unique experience. besides the cash Maccabi made, they could put some firepower upfront bringing up some strikers and offensive midfielders.
Israeli players get better every year..... but the problem is that there aren't enough of them. Israeli players can't do it by themselves. Maccabi might have to sell some of their young Israeli players and it will be hard to replace them with other Israeli players.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I think Maccabi played below their possibilities. They mainly made stupid mistakes (especially Strauber and Panstil). Maccabi deserved a point in the first game against Bayern. They only won with luck and a stupidity of Panstil. A point in Turino was also possible. Juventus played really bad at home, only won thanks to fault by Strauber. Ok, the 3-0 in Amsterdam was deserved. In Munich too. The luck yesterday was pretty lucky (I dont think that it was a penalty), but ok. Maccabi TA did well, but we also have to consider that they came to the strongest group. At the draw, they had 2 possibilites: the Arsenal group with Panathinaikos, Rosenborg and Eindhoven (which would have been much easier) or the Bayern, Juve, Ajax group. Unfortunately they got the last.

I gave them a 4. Key players for the success: Dego of course, but also Tamir Cohen, Mishaelov and Abu Siam made good impressions with me. Players too blame: Liran Strauber with his many mistakes (espeically in Amsterdam and Turino) and Panstil, who isnt a professional in my view, he doesnt deserve to play, but he also played good sometimes (especially in Turino)

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
amfan said:
Maccabi played as Well as anyone expected. They were going up against 3 clubs with huge budgets, while Maccabi's entire budget was equal to Juve's top 2 players. I am convinced that if Maccabi were in any other group, they would have made the UEFA Cup and maybe a the knock out stage. Maccabi would have rather played Sparta than Ajax, or Lyon than Bayern Munich.
Agreed, no doubt they would've stood a better chance against different opponents, but we all knew this was going to be a hard group.

amfan said:
From their performance, some Maccabi players will be sold overseas. Reis, T. Cohen, Mishaelof, Dego and Strull are players that could be sold to larger European clubs. But with the transfer fees, maccabi can go out and get players like, Rosso, Balili, Afek, Haim, Prok.....(that Latvain striker) or Konstintinau (from (Panathinaikos). And Hopefully they can get back that Nigerian youth player that "escaped" to Nigeria.
I really hope to see Dego going abroad sometime soon. He's still one of our better talents and it would help him alot. 4 CL goals in 3 matches is quite impressive (although two of them were penalties). As for new purchases, Klinger confirmed his team is looking for a striker. The names he mentioned are Arbeitman, Proharenkovs and another foreign trialist. He also said he'd love to see Rosso at the team but he's a Haifa player now so they're not going to get him now.

Kappa21 said:
I personally have mixed feelings on the basis that they had these good games, especially against Ajax and they had poor ones against Bayern.... Maccabi was keeping track and in the end this is what happened.

I don't know why people are so happy that they tied or Juventus. That goal was a penatly and a very controversial one too!!! sure they had a chance to win it, even get a 2-0 lead, but they didn't..

Overall, the team made its money but not its effort and it got eliminated. It tried to do good, but it failed in the end.......
Sure these performances were a let down but let's not forget that realistically, Maccabi who was 4th when they played in Munich and played bad in Ligat Ha'al aren't really close to Bayern's level. So these results were dissapointing but nothing that I would call unrealistic, after all this is a very young team also. The draw was bad because they failed to finish 3rd but overall a draw with a very decent Juventus side is still a good result and they played very good in parts of the match. So it's no shame.

berko said:
Also another intresting point is that almost all the players were Israeli which proves that we can do it also without an invasion of foreigners in the squad. the players are young with a bright future and the gained an unique experience.
Agreed, no doubt these matches, especially the worst ones will help to improve their game so they did earn something even out of this, I think.

·
Registered
14,901 Posts
It was very good season in CL, the first and good 4 points. 4 points in rivalisation with such teams as Ajax, Juventus and Bayern is a good result. Maccabi showd their ambition, even in the lost matches. THe match with Ajax (2-1) was a great tactic win of Nir Kilnger.
THe best player was of course Dego.

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
I gave them a "1". I think they were terrible. :scream:

Maccabi played without any enthusiasm and will and belief throughtout the tournament. Klinger tried to imitate "Greece" but forgot that he had some terrible defense (Fentsil and Shtrauber for example). The team was very weak in all respects of the game and bored the spectactors to death : :sleepy: . When it was leading 1-0 against Juve for example, the Maccabi players kept imitating injuries and passing time (especially Gal Nir who was so annoying) :groan: in the most digusting way possible.

The only player that can come up with his head high is Dego... which proves why the team was so terrible. There was no other chance that the team could score other than with a player that the coach didn't even want and was benching him in all along. That says it all. The goals themselves - undeserved penalty, pointless penalty in a defeat, a big once-in-a-lifetime gift from Ajax, which leaves with only 1 impressive goal - Dego's completely against any flow of the team.

Ajax was in such a crisis in this campaign that finishing 4th is nothing short of a failure. It was a failure for Haifa (who really played well IMO) not to finish 2nd in its campaign, just imagine what a failure it is this time.

·
Registered
14,901 Posts
gba said:
I gave them a "1". I think they were terrible. :scream:

Maccabi played without any enthusiasm and will and belief throughtout the tournament. Klinger tried to imitate "Greece" but forgot that he had some terrible defense (Fentsil and Shtrauber for example). The team was very weak in all respects of the game and bored the spectactors to death : :sleepy: . When it was leading 1-0 against Juve for example, the Maccabi players kept imitating injuries and passing time (especially Gal Nir who was so annoying) :groan: in the most digusting way possible.

The only player that can come up with his head high is Dego... which proves why the team was so terrible. There was no other chance that the team could score other than with a player that the coach didn't even want and was benching him in all along. That says it all. The goals themselves - undeserved penalty, pointless penalty in a defeat, a big once-in-a-lifetime gift from Ajax, which leaves with only 1 impressive goal - Dego's completely against any flow of the team.

Ajax was in such a crisis in this campaign that finishing 4th is nothing short of a failure. It was a failure for Haifa (who really played well IMO) not to finish 2nd in its campaign, just imagine what a failure it is this time.
Nonsense. Straber was doing good in all matches (only the goal for Ajax in 2-1 win is his fault), it were defenders who were bad.
The win with Ajax was a ver tactic good game, and in the match with Juve (0-1) they also have chances.

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
Shtrauber didn't have a good game in years... and that's why he was benched against Juve.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Strauber indeed had some bad moments, but we should be fair and look further. Strauber already saved Maccabi several times, maybe he wasn't in a good moment right now. Anyways gal Nir entered well and there is still 3rd keeper choice Guy Haimov, who was promoted to the senior squad and many see him with a bright future in Maccabi Tel Aviv.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
It was an OK tour in my opinion...
I only managed to see the last game against Byren though :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts