Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that don't know what it is about ;)

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1189756,00.html

This year will be the biggest bloodbath on ice since 1967. Over 300000 (three hundred thousand ;) ) baby seals will be killed within the space of a few weeks time.

My personal opinion is that I think this is a shame it is still happening. Especially the clubbing and beating of the animals is terrible. The killing of animals in such a way for commercial purposes should stop imo.

What are your views on this?

Check this video, if it doesn't make your stomach turn that is :yuck:

http://www.bontvoordieren.nl/video/commercialzeehonden.mpg

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
It's disgusting. I hate Canadians.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luigi Vampa said:
its outrageous and im sure more canadians are outraged by it. but like the serfs that we are, well just accept it.
Do you get the impression that the majority is against it and is there a lot of media attention in Canada?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
no theres not a lof of media attention. i make an assumption that most are against it because it seems logical and consistent with canadian society. but that doesnt really matter, a lot of canadians are against a lot of things but it doesnt change anything. theres more pressing issues canadians devote their time to, like what kind of car to buy. sad but true.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
I don't wear fur. I don't allow it in my house. If anyone comes to my house wearing fur, they have to stand outside.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
A few weeks back some Belgian polticians went to New Foundland to see things with their own eyes.
Apart from some emotional reactions, one of them said that the profit to make in this sector is hardly worth it.

If the economical value of this happening is so minimal, there must be possibilities for change.

ADRIAAN
________

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Humbird said:
I don't wear fur. I don't allow it in my house. If anyone comes to my house wearing fur, they have to stand outside.
I didn't know they used seals to make fur, I was under the impression that it was huge layers of fat that kept the seal warm, not it's 1/8 inch fur.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Pila said:
I didn't know they used seals to make fur, I was under the impression that it was huge layers of fat that kept the seal warm, not it's 1/8 inch fur.
No, Pila. It's the pure white fur of the baby seals they are after. The babies don't have layers of protective fat anyway, even if it were actually used for something. Synthetic oil products have all but replaced seal and whale oils. Baby seals have very beautiful white fur which, by the way, looks much better on them than it does on some rich bitch.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Pila said:
Isn't boycotting fur enough of a stand against clubbing seals in Canada, must she boycott steak and Belgium chocolate as well?

I'm boycotting frog legs.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Humbird said:
No, Pila. It's the pure white fur of the baby seals they are after. The babies don't have layers of protective fat anyway, even if it were actually used for something. Synthetic oil products have all but replaced seal and whale oils. Baby seals have very beautiful white fur which, by the way, looks much better on them than it does on some rich bitch.
I didn't know that, thanks.

Agreed on the rich bitch, besides there's fake fur that looks real enough to me. And I hear it's cheaper to boot.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
RedEagle said:
Isn't boycotting fur enough of a stand against clubbing seals in Canada, must she boycott steak and Belgium chocolate as well?

Bah! You and Pila kicking legless froggies!:mad:

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
RedEagle said:

I'm way ahead of you on that curve then if you're only starting now.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
But seriously folks, before you run to jump on this band wagon, ask yourselves... if you lived in an economically depressed area without much in the way of opportunity, and hunting these seals, which are not endangered was going to put food on the table, would you have the same opinion you now do?

Most of you are going on as if the people who hunt these seals are monsters. Anyone who has visited the Maritimes will attest to the fact that's its hard to find a nicer bunch of people anywhere.

Unless you go to Thailand.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts