Xtratime Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sorta womdering, what you guys think about the upcoming final in Paris. How do we play Valencia? Do we play our stuff, concentrate on defense or all out attack? It's tuff ain't it? I mean they have such a counter-attack :( I'm baffled.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Attack versus attack. Lets try and beat them at their own game. Macca, Raul, Savio, Anelka versus Gonz, Mandieta, Lopez, Am......should be a good game.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I'm gonna have to disagree with you Labas on the Valencia defense matter. It really showed off because there were no opposite offensive players on the field!!! (the Barca ones). If the other team cannot organize its game in order to attack with good probabilities, the easiest thing is for a defense to show as invincible.

Let me cross-examine you now: remember the Lazio-Valencia game? As for myself, I couldn't believe what I was actually seeing! 89 minutes played in half the field!!! (I'm not saying 90 because of Valencia's goal that wrongly didn't count). And it wasn't Valencia's defense achievement that the score was down to 1-0, rather bad luck and temporary incompetence of the Lazio attackers.

And when I say our defense is more solid I refer to the FULL one.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
It's the final, only one game, and I think we should concentrate on making our game and playing the leeding role on the field. I don't think we should content in counter attacks, this won't do it for us, it's their game. We shouldn't fear them, just be confident, go out there and do it.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, but what players do we concentrate on? IMO mendieta is very dangerous and Redondo will really have to prove himself. Then we all know Claudio Lopez, and we can't go with a man to man system, because he's just to quick, BUT if Julio Cesar and Helguera will be on the form they are currently, he can be neutralized.

But the biggest problem will be: KILY GONZALEZ on the left wing, WHy? Like pool pointed out Salgado isn't the greatest defender, in terms of defending and Kily might simply kill him! :( On the other hand if Geremi plays on the RM, not as a defender we will kill their left defender, especially since Amadeo Carboni is banned for the game in Paris.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
On the other hand, on which players will THEY concentrate on? It's not like our midfielders or attackers are less dangerous on the attacking game!
I think that in the final many goals will be scored anyway, both teams' strong game is the attacking one and we HAVE to score more than they'll do.
I also believe our defensive game is more solid that theirs, don't you agree?

P.S. Do you really think Julio Cesar will play the final? I think not.

P.S. 2 I wouldn't say Mendietta is more dangerous than Effenberg or Beckam

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If Julio Cesar keeps up the great forum, he will be ther for SURE.

Now I have a question to you Hala? Did you see last nights game against Barca? If so, that comment about our defense being solid is really way over the top. Val;encias biggest weapon is the counter and a rock solid defense. They are incredible in defending, absolutely awesome. That's what worries me most.

And please do not even compare beckham with Mendieta. It's like saying sh|t is better then Coca-Cola ;) You guys know whjich way round.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Come on people! Your opinions. IMO Valencia was awesome last night and not only in defense. Angloma and Carboni totally neutralized the wings in barca - there biggest weapon. Figo and Zenden were completely outplayed. And then Miroslav Djukic - the guy was IMO the man of the match (perhaps with gaizka) - a rock at the back. Did anyone notice how many times his face was shown close-up? That almost never happens...he just played outstanding. Mark in CM3 scale: 10.

I'm not gonna commet, when someone sais our defense is good...

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Whatever you might think, at least you have to acknwledge the great job Del Bosque has done for our defense, especially during the past two months, with Helguera drown backwards and becoming a basic.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have to ask ourselves: wether or not that was just luck? I mean he had to put him there against Manure and it worked, so he held on to it. I'm glad he realised it though. I wonder how Helguera feels playing the sweeper role - I mean it's not easy changing from a guy who scores once in a while into the last defender, who never really has that chance.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Valencia's great defence is based on the midfield.Mendieta and Farinos mostly and Gerard secondary do an absolutely brilliant job.Even when someone manages to reach the area he is so exhausted that Djukic and Pellegrino have just to pick the ball away from him.Angloma and Carboni are invaluable.Despite their age they run and run and run and never stop.If Carboni is banned for the final Cuper will probably replace him with that crappy argentinian left back.That merans that Macca m8ust tear him apart.Salgado is not that bad at defending but i'm afraid he may end up weith a red card since he is quite harsh with opponents that are fast.DO NOT TRY crosses.Pellegrino is a tower and Djukic a wall.

Valencia is NOT that good away from home.I think it will be Real's cup at the end.

------------------
The sun will rise again...and it will be...GIALLOBLU!

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I actually don't have any doubts about us winning, but it won't be easy. I agree that Djukic and pellegrino are great dealing with crosses, but I have found Mauricio has moments when he really is weak and he can mess up. Angloma is great defending, but when you pressure him, he justs kicks the ball as far as he can. The Argentinian you're atlking about is probably Daniel Fagiani. I rate him very highly, at least from the performances he had early this year. But the key will be stopping Kily I feel...only Helguera and Julio Cesar may have the "thing" to do it... Our main ascet will be of course Raul, Anelka and if he plays - Geremi, but in a attacking role. He'll kill htem down the left side :)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
With Killy I think that we can neutralise him but it may mean sacrificing Maccas game. Whoever Killy is up against (Ger or Salgado) then they will be in trouble.

Big mention for Helguerro who has been great these past few weeks for Real.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
With our experience in these sort of games, they will be the ones that would make misstakes- thats the way to win it, making the fewest mistakes.And thats final ;)

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Of course mistakes will be crucial, but that's not how to win a game. You can't just hope for valencia to mees up. We have to pressure. And BTW - after Macca's performance against Bayern, I have doubts if he should even play. :(

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
What? Have you gone stark raving mad? As I have said earluer Macca sacrificed his game so that Real would go through. How many times was he tracking back, sitting in alongside Redondo and in Real's box. He had no chance of any inspiration in that game as Del Bosque told the guy that his main priority was to defend. Also he was only taken off in the 90th minute to waste some time which suggests that he did do his job.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
fair enough I mean football is all about opinions. Dropping him for the final would be a bit harsh though don't you think??

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I huess you're right :), I just want Geremi to stay so badly I would even sacrifice poor Macca. But I agree, he is probably too good to sit it out, UNLESS he keeps doing the thing he did at Bayern, then Geremi is my man :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts